Dr Robin Hickman
Reader in Transport and City Planning
The Bartlett School of Planning
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 1st Sep 2011
- E-learning course on sustainable mobility with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) (2019-2020), using FutureLearn, for use by practitioners in the Global South
- The Automobility System: Framing, Impacts and Discourses (Greenpeace Germany, 2016-17)
- Travel Vulnerability in London and Manila, University of Oxford, UCL, De La Salle University (Newton Fund, British Council, 2015-16)
- Sustainable Integrated Tram-Based Transport Operations for Peripheral European Regions (SINTROPHER PLUS) (EU INTERREG IVB, 2007-14, 2014-15)
- Synergy of New Advanced Public Transport Solutions Improving Connectivity in North-West Europe (SYNAPTIC) (EU, INTERREG IVB, 2012-13)
- INTRA-SIM Auckland (University of Auckland, Auckland Council, 2010-13)
- Visioning and Backcasting for Transport in Jinan, China (VIBAT-Jinan) (University of Oxford Future of Cities Programme, 2010-11)
- INTRA-SIM Oxfordshire (Oxfordshire County Council, 2009-10)
- Visioning and Backcasting for Transport in London (VIBAT-London) (for UrbanBuzz, HEFCE, 2007-09) [http://www.vibat.org]
- VIBAT-UK (UK DfT, 2005-06)
- Planning for Sustainable Travel (UK CfIT, 2008-09)
- Rural Streets and Lanes: A Design Handbook (Kent Downs AONB Unit, 2007)
- Sustainable Cities Manual: Transport (UK CABE, 2008-09)
- Science Review on How to Design a Sustainable Environment (UK DTI Foresight Panel, Intelligent Infrastructure Systems Project, 2007)
- Transport and City Competitiveness: Literature Review (UK DfT, 2002)
- Going to Town: Improving Town Centre Access (for the NTPF and DTLR, a companion guide to PPS6, 2002).
- Improving Multi-Modal Interchange Hubs in China: An Illustrated Guide (ADB, 2013-14)
- Major Projects and Carbon Footprinting (ADB, 2012)
- Changing Course in Sustainable Urban Transport. An Illustrated Guide (ADB, 2010-11)
- VIBAT-India and Delhi (ADB, 2008)
He has also project managed and contributed to numerous transport planning projects and masterplanning projects whilst in consultancy, including Smarter Travel Choice investment in Local Transport Plans (LTP3) (Sustrans and FoE, 2011); the DaSTS Corridor 10 study (London-Leeds) (DfT, 2010); the North London Sub-Regional Transport Scoping Study (TfL); Thames Gateway Integrated Transport and Land Use Study (TfL); Canning Town and Royal Docks Transport Study (TfL); Park Royal Strategic Masterplan (PRP); Cambridge Northern Fringe and Eastern Expansion Studies (Cambridge County Council); Brixham Masterplan; Camborne, Pool and Redruth Masterplan; Coatesville Mainstreet Revitalisation (USA); and Merseytram Design Guide (Merseytravel).
Transport Planning and the City
Sustainability and Infrastructure Projects
Sustainable Urban Development - Key Themes
Group Project (Detroit/Stockholm)
He continues to occasionally guest lecture at the TSU, University of Oxford, and has previously at the University of Westminster.
- University College London
- Dr, Planning studies | 2007
- Hickman, R., Mella Lira, B., Givoni, M. and Geurs, K. (Eds.) (2019) Transport, Space and Equity. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, in preparation.
- Hickman, R., Givoni, M., Bonilla, D. and Banister, D. (Eds.) (2015) Handbook on Transport and Development. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Hickman, R. and Banister, D. (2014) Transport, Climate Change and the City. Abingdon, Routledge.
- Chen, C-L., Hickman, R. and Saxena, S. (2015) Improving Interchanges. Toward Better Multimodal Railway Hubs in the People's Republic of China. Manila, ADB.
- Hodgson, J., King, C., Hickman, R. (2015) Interchange Best Practice Guidelines, EU Sintropher project. Interreg IVB, UCL, London.
- Hickman, R., Framer, P., Breithaupt, M. and Saxena, S. (2011) Changing Course in Sustainable Urban Transport. An Illustrated Guide. Manila, ADB.
- Hickman, R., Hamilton-Baillie, B., and Purkiss, J. (2009) Rural Streets and Lanes. A Design Handbook for the Kent Downs. London: Halcrow Group.
- Pharoah, T., Hickman, R. and Herbert, J. (2002) Going to Town: Improving Town Centre Access. A Companion Guide to PPS6. London: Llewelyn Davies, for the NRPF and ODPM.
He has also developed over 100 journal articles, book chapters, published reports and working papers. He has a regular column, ‘Off the Rails’, in the Town & Country Planning journal. He gained his PhD at the BSP in 2007.