Prof Robin Hickman
Professor of Transport and City Planning
The Bartlett School of Planning
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 1st Jun 2007
Robin has authored and contributed to a number of research studies concerning sustainable transport, transport and climate change, urban structure and travel, the experience of travel, discourses on travel, and decision-support tools. These include case study material from London and the UK, and wider Europe, Asia and many international contexts, including:
- Online course on Sustainable Transport in the UK, with UK Department for Transport (2021-22), available on Futurelearn
- Online course on Transforming Urban Mobility with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) (2019-2021), on FutureLearn
- The Automobility System (Greenpeace Germany, 2016-18)
- Travel Vulnerability in London and Manila, University of Oxford, UCL, DLSU (Newton Fund, British Council, 2015-17)
- Sustainable Integrated Tram-Based Transport Operations for Peripheral European Regions (SINTROPHER PLUS) (EU INTERREG IVB, 2007-14, 2014-17)
- Improving Multi-Modal Interchange Hubs in China (ADB, 2013-14)
- Synergy of New Advanced Public Transport Solutions Improving Connectivity in North-West Europe (SYNAPTIC) (EU, INTERREG IVB, 2012-13)
- Changing Course in Sustainable Urban Transport (ADB, 2010-11)
Transport and climate change mitigation pathways
Research on transport and CO2 mitigation pathways:
- Visioning and Backcasting for Transport in Jinan, China (VIBAT-Jinan) (University of Oxford Future of Cities Programme, 2010-11)
- INTRA-SIM Auckland (University of Auckland, Auckland Council, 2010-13)
- INTRA-SIM Oxfordshire, Swindon (Oxfordshire County Council, 2009-10; Swindon Borough Council, 2009-10)
- Visioning and Backcasting for Transport in London (VIBAT-London) (for UrbanBuzz, HEFCE, 2007-09)
- VIBAT-India and Delhi (ADB, 2008)
- VIBAT-UK (UK DfT, 2005-06)
Urban Structure and Travel
Research examining the relationship between urban structure and travel, applied at different scales:
- Planning for Sustainable Travel (UK CfIT, 2008-09)
- Rural Streets and Lanes: A Design Handbook (Kent Downs AONB Unit, 2007)
- Sustainable Cities Manual: Transport (UK CABE, 2008-09)
- Science Review on How to Design a Sustainable Environment (UK DTI Foresight Panel, Intelligent Infrastructure Systems Project, 2007)
- Transport and City Competitiveness: Literature Review (UK DfT, 2002)
- Going to Town: Improving Town Centre Access (for the NTPF and DTLR, a companion guide to PPS6, 2002)
- ParticipatoryMCA - multi actor MCA for major infrastructure projects
- TC-SIM - transport and carbon simulation game (London)
- INTRA-SIM - transport and multi-criteria impact (Oxfordshire, Auckland, Swindon)
Robin is Director of the MSc in Transport & City Planning and coordinates/lectures on the following courses (see course outlines at: http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/planning/programmes/postgraduate):MSc Transport and City Planning
- Transport Planning and the City
- Sustainability and Major Infrastructure Projects
- Sustainable Urban Development - Key Themes
- Group Project (Detroit/Stockholm)
He has guest lectured at the TSU, University of Oxford, and the University of Westminster.
- University College London
- Doctorate, Doctor | 2007
Robin is Professor in Transport & City Planning at the Bartlett School of Planning, UCL, and Director of the MSc in Transport & City Planning at UCL.
He has been a Visiting Research Associate at the Transport Studies Unit (TSU), University of Oxford (2011-2016); a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Malta (2016); and a Research Fellow at the TSU (2009-2011). He was Associate Director, leading on transport research at Halcrow (2004-2011); and worked on masterplanning and transport research at Llewelyn Davies (1999-2004) and local transport planning at Surrey County Council (1995-1999).
- Hickman, R., Mella Lira, B., Givoni, M. and Geurs, K. (Eds.) (2019) A Companion to Transport, Space and Equity. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Hickman, R., Givoni, M., Bonilla, D. and Banister, D. (Eds.) (2015) Handbook on Transport and Development. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Hickman, R. and Banister, D. (2014) Transport, Climate Change and the City. Abingdon, Routledge.
Best practice guides
- Chen, C-L., Hickman, R. and Saxena, S. (2015) Improving Interchanges. Toward Better Multimodal Railway Hubs in the People's Republic of China. Manila, ADB.
- Hodgson, J., King, C., Hickman, R. (2015) Interchange Best Practice Guidelines, EU Sintropher project. Interreg IVB, UCL, London.
- Hickman, R., Framer, P., Breithaupt, M. and Saxena, S. (2011) Changing Course in Sustainable Urban Transport. An Illustrated Guide. Manila, ADB.
- Hickman, R., Hamilton-Baillie, B., and Purkiss, J. (2009) Rural Streets and Lanes. A Design Handbook for the Kent Downs. London: Halcrow Group.
- Pharoah, T., Hickman, R. and Herbert, J. (2002) Going to Town: Improving Town Centre Access. A Companion Guide to PPS6. London: Llewelyn Davies, for the NRPF and ODPM.
He has also developed over 100 journal articles, book chapters, published reports and working papers. He has a regular column, ‘Off the Rails’, in the Town & Country Planning journal. He gained his PhD at the BSP in 2007.