Dr Robin Hickman
Reader in Transport and City Planning
The Bartlett School of Planning
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 1st Jun 2007
Robin has authored and contributed to a number of research studies concerning sustainable transport, transport and climate change, urban structure and travel, the experience of travel, discourses on travel, and decision-support tools. These include case study material from London and the UK, and wider Europe, Asia and many international contexts, including:
- E-learning course on sustainable mobility with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) (2019-2020), using FutureLearn
- The Automobility System (Greenpeace Germany, 2016-18)
- Travel Vulnerability in London and Manila, University of Oxford, UCL, DLSU (Newton Fund, British Council, 2015-17)
- Sustainable Integrated Tram-Based Transport Operations for Peripheral European Regions (SINTROPHER PLUS) (EU INTERREG IVB, 2007-14, 2014-17)
- Improving Multi-Modal Interchange Hubs in China (ADB, 2013-14)
- Synergy of New Advanced Public Transport Solutions Improving Connectivity in North-West Europe (SYNAPTIC) (EU, INTERREG IVB, 2012-13)
- Changing Course in Sustainable Urban Transport (ADB, 2010-11)
Transport and climate change mitigation pathways
- Visioning and Backcasting for Transport in Jinan, China (VIBAT-Jinan) (University of Oxford Future of Cities Programme, 2010-11)
- INTRA-SIM Auckland (University of Auckland, Auckland Council, 2010-13)
- INTRA-SIM Oxfordshire, Swindon (Oxfordshire County Council, 2009-10; Swindon Borough Council, 2009-10)
- Visioning and Backcasting for Transport in London (VIBAT-London) (for UrbanBuzz, HEFCE, 2007-09)
- VIBAT-India and Delhi (ADB, 2008)
- VIBAT-UK (UK DfT, 2005-06)
Urban Structure and Travel
- Planning for Sustainable Travel (UK CfIT, 2008-09)
- Rural Streets and Lanes: A Design Handbook (Kent Downs AONB Unit, 2007)
- Sustainable Cities Manual: Transport (UK CABE, 2008-09)
- Science Review on How to Design a Sustainable Environment (UK DTI Foresight Panel, Intelligent Infrastructure Systems Project, 2007)
- Transport and City Competitiveness: Literature Review (UK DfT, 2002)
- Going to Town: Improving Town Centre Access (for the NTPF and DTLR, a companion guide to PPS6, 2002)
- TC-SIM - transport and carbon simulation game (London)
- INTRA-SIM - transport and multi-criteria impact (Oxfordshire, Auckland, Swindon)
Transport Planning and the City
Sustainability and Major Infrastructure Projects
Sustainable Urban Development - Key Themes
Group Project (Detroit/Stockholm)
He continues to occasionally guest lecture at the TSU, University of Oxford, and has previously at the University of Westminster.
- University College London
- , | 2007
- Hickman, R., Mella Lira, B., Givoni, M. and Geurs, K. (Eds.) (2019) A Companion to Transport, Space and Equity. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Hickman, R., Givoni, M., Bonilla, D. and Banister, D. (Eds.) (2015) Handbook on Transport and Development. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Hickman, R. and Banister, D. (2014) Transport, Climate Change and the City. Abingdon, Routledge.
- Chen, C-L., Hickman, R. and Saxena, S. (2015) Improving Interchanges. Toward Better Multimodal Railway Hubs in the People's Republic of China. Manila, ADB.
- Hodgson, J., King, C., Hickman, R. (2015) Interchange Best Practice Guidelines, EU Sintropher project. Interreg IVB, UCL, London.
- Hickman, R., Framer, P., Breithaupt, M. and Saxena, S. (2011) Changing Course in Sustainable Urban Transport. An Illustrated Guide. Manila, ADB.
- Hickman, R., Hamilton-Baillie, B., and Purkiss, J. (2009) Rural Streets and Lanes. A Design Handbook for the Kent Downs. London: Halcrow Group.
- Pharoah, T., Hickman, R. and Herbert, J. (2002) Going to Town: Improving Town Centre Access. A Companion Guide to PPS6. London: Llewelyn Davies, for the NRPF and ODPM.
He has also developed over 100 journal articles, book chapters, published reports and working papers. He has a regular column, ‘Off the Rails’, in the Town & Country Planning journal. He gained his PhD at the BSP in 2007.