The Bartlett


FAQs - Master’s degree programmes at The Bartlett

Read the most frequently asked questions for Master's degree programmes at The Bartlett

Master’s study at The Bartlett 

When do the Master’s degree programmes start?

Our Master’s degree programmes generally start in late September, when we hold our welcome and induction sessions. It is also when most scholarships start. A small number start in January. Please check the Graduate Prospectus page of the particular programme you are interested in. 

Which Master’s degree programmes does The Bartlett have?

All of our Master’s programmes are available to browse online.  

Postgraduate Certificates are short ‘conversion’ programmes based mainly on undergraduate material and usually taken by people who already have a Bachelor’s degree in another field of study. They normally take six months to complete. Postgraduate Diplomas have a more advanced level of undergraduate material and they take a year to complete.  

What is the difference between an MA, MArch, MLA, MPA, MPlan, MSc and MRes?

All of these qualifications are taught Master’s degrees, except for the MRes. Taught Master’s degrees have considerably more intensity and complexity of study that undergraduate degrees, postgraduate certificates and postgraduate diplomas. Taught Master’s degree students must complete an in-depth research project toward the end of their programme, known as a Dissertation.  

One year of study (180 credits)  

  • Master of Architecture (MArch) [Architectural Design] Master of Architecture (MArch) [Urban Design]  
  • Master of Arts (MA)  
  • Master of Public Administration (MPA)  
  • Master of Science (MSc)  

15 months of study (180 credits)  

  • Master of Architecture (MArch) [Design for Manufacture]  
  • Master of Architecture (MArch) [Design for Performance and Interaction]  

21 months of study (300 credits)  

  • Master of Planning (MPlan)  

Two years of study (300 credits)  

  • Master of Architecture (MArch) [Architecture ARB/RIBA Part 2]  
  • Master of Architecture (MArch) [Bio-Integrated Design]  
  • Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA)  
  • The Master of Research (MRes) has more independent research involved and focuses more on teaching how to research. It is one year of study (180 credits).
Which of these programmes is right for me?

Please see the UCL Graduate Prospectus for information on which subjects each programme covers, along with the skills development and employability offered. You may also view the UCL Module Catalogue, which you can filter by Department to see information on the modules they offer.  

At the bottom of each programme page in the prospectus you will see who to contact for that particular programme. Also, the Bartlett Faculty Office can help you: please email bartlett.pgt-admissions@ucl.ac.uk 

Who studies for a Master’s degree at The Bartlett?

Postgraduates at the Bartlett Faculty of the Built Environment come from a wide range of different backgrounds. Our postgraduates come from an array of different home countries and often have varied academic and career histories. We are very interested to hear from people who would like to become part of UCL and are from currently under-represented groups. These include: Black and Minority Ethnic people; those that live in less advantaged areas; people who attended a state school; those with a disability or a learning difficulty. Having a more diverse student community will help us produce better research and teaching.  

In The Bartlett, 79% of Home fee-status Master’s degree students are White and 21% are Black and Ethnic Minority. Our overseas fee status Master’s degree student population is around 17% White and 83% Black and Ethnic Minority.  

We do not have statistical information on what type of school our Master’s degree students attended. For our undergraduate students, about 25% went to an independent school and 71% to a state school. The other 4% do not have their school type recorded.  

People with a declared disability or a learning difficulty represent about 8% of Master’s degree students in The Bartlett.  

Around 11% of our Master’s degree students study part-time. The average age of our Master’s degree students is 25 (mean), 23 (median), 22 (mode) years. 

What support does UCL offer disabled students?

Our aim is to promote and implement an inclusive learning and teaching environment, allowing students to study as independently as possible during their time at UCL. Please visit the Support and Wellbeing part of the UCL website for information on the support available for students with learning difficulties, disabilities and long-term health conditions.  

If you tell UCL Graduate Admissions about a disability on your application this will help them ensure UCL can meet your needs and will prompt them to send you more information about UCL services. UCL Student Disability Services are happy to arrange information visits to UCL so that you can find out more about the physical environment and facilities or discuss support arrangements with them in person. If you are a wheelchair user or are mobility-impaired it is important to visit, if you can, before you apply as the design of some of our older buildings may make access to some departments difficult. If you would like to discuss your individual needs or have questions about the support that might be available to you, you are very welcome to contact UCL Student Disability Services at any stage of the application process, by e-mailing disability@ucl.ac.uk or by telephoning +44 (0)20 7679 0100.  

Which qualifications do I need to apply for a Master’s degree at The Bartlett?

Please check the individual programmes in the UCL Graduate Prospectus, as the entry qualifications vary. For some, you need to have at least a lower second-class (2:2) Bachelor’s degree but for others you will need an upper second-class (2:1) Bachelor’s degree. For most of our Master’s degrees, we do not specify which subject your Batchelor’s degree needs to be. For some of our Master’s degrees you will need professional experience. Again, this will be noted on the individual programme web page in our Graduate Prospectus. 

How long does a Master’s degree take to complete?

Full-time study of a Master’s degree generally takes one year to complete but a small number take longer. Postgraduate Diploma programmes generally take nine months to complete and Postgraduate Certificate programmes four months. Please check the Graduate Prospectus page of the programme you are interested in.  

Can I study part-time?

Yes. Most of our Master’s degree have a part-time study option. These are usually two years in length. However, please note that UCL does not offer part-time study to students who require a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. For details of this decision, please see the ‘Part-time student visa’ webpage. 

Some of our Master’s degrees have an option called modular/flexible study. This option allows students to take between one and five years to complete the degree. They can choose which terms they want to attend, as long as they complete the whole programme within five years. The term dates for 2021/22 are listed on the Life at UCL website. 

Does The Bartlett offer distance learning?  

No. During COVID-19 pandemic conditions, we will be offering a blend of face-to-face and online teaching and learning. Find out more about your UCL education in 2021-22.

Can I visit in person to talk to staff about my application and/or tour the facilities?

Unfortunately, we are not able to speak to prospective students in person, simply because we have such a large volume of applicants. You are very welcome to contact the Bartlett Faculty Office to discuss any aspects of our Master’s degree programmes. However, academic staff are usually contactable by e-mail only, as they are engaged in teaching and researching.

We do occasionally hold Graduate Open Days. Also – once Covid-19 measures allow – you can explore the UCL campus by booking onto one of our guided tours or signing up for a self- guided tour. To find out the date of our next Graduate Open Day, please contact the Bartlett Faculty Office by emailing bartlett.pgclerk@ucl.ac.uk

If I am studying a Master’s degree at another university, can I spend some time researching at UCL?

Yes, you can apply as an Affiliate student, which is someone who is registered for a qualification elsewhere but wishes to study at UCL for academic credits. You can study at UCL for a whole year but most Affiliate students choose to study for just the Autumn (Fall) term from September to December or the Spring/Summer terms (January to June). Affiliate study is usually available on a full-time basis. You should normally have studied for at least 2-years at university level and must satisfy UCL's academic entry requirements and, where appropriate, its English language proficiency requirements.

How might the COVID-19 pandemic affect my application or studies?

We are doing everything we can to limit any impact coronavirus may have on current applications to study at UCL, and to protect our students and staff. For up-to-date information please see our Coronavirus hub. 

How to apply to The Bartlett 

How do I apply for a Master’s degree at The Bartlett?

You can apply online via our Graduate Prospectus (there is an ‘Apply Now’ button at the bottom of the page of each Master’s degree programme). It is also advisable to see if there is funding you can apply for, to pay for the tuition fees or living costs. UCL’s online application portal is called Portico. When you submit an application you will be given a Student Number. You can then log into Portico any time, to see the progress of your application and if we have asked you to take any action.

What do I need to include in my application?

Our Admissions Tutors will be looking for good grades and good references. They will be looking for applicants who have: a knowledge of and commitment to the subject discipline; a good attitude to learning and personal development; the ability to articulate themselves fluently and accurately in writing.  

Application fee  

There is a processing fees for online applications to our Master’s programme. For paper applications there is a slightly higher fee. Please see the current application fees here.  

Please note that application fees are non-refundable. If you apply for more than one programme, the fee is payable for each application submitted.  

Academic transcripts  

When completing the online application form, you will need to upload a copy of your Bachelor’s degree transcript, showing which modules you took and the grades you got. If you do not have these, you can request them from the university where you studied. If you are currently studying and haven’t been awarded the degree yet, you need to upload an ‘interim’ transcript that shows the modules and grades you have so far. Please note that if your documents are not in English, you must also upload a full translation of each document - prepared by your university or a registered translator. You must not translate the documents yourself. Please see the Prospective Student part of the UCL website for further information on how to get your academic transcripts.  

English language requirements  

On the online application form, you will be asked if English is your first language. If it is not, you will need to indicate one of the following: English test taken; English test yet to be taken; Degree taken in a ‘majority English-speaking country’. The English language requirements for study at UCL are detailed on the Applying as an international student page.  

Personal statement  

The Admissions Tutors will be looking for a written personal statement that displays passion for the subject area while demonstrating motivation, enthusiasm, and the skills and experiences that will enable you to succeed at university. Please let us know why you want to undertake the programme; what your academic interests are; why do you wish to study at UCL; if you have any relevant work experience; if you have completed any extracurricular and voluntary activities relevant to the programme; and what your career aspirations are.  

You will be asked to enter the details of your referees in your application form. When you submit the application they will automatically be sent an email asking them to write a reference for you and to submit it online. Please ensure you have spoken to your chosen referees prior to this so they are expecting the invitation and are happy to provide a reference for you online. Please note that we cannot consider your application until we have both references, so you will need to check in the application portal to see if your references have been submitted and to ensure that both references are received in good time.  

When providing the email address for your referee please use an academic or professional one rather than a personal one, e.g. john.smith@university rather than johnsmith@hotmail.  

You can use the application portal to check if references have been sent, to resend reference requests, and to change who your referees are.  


At least one of your references must be academic: from someone who has taught you at degree level. Ideally both references will be academic but one may be from a professional. 

Can I get help with completing the application?

One of the conditions of submitting an application to study at UCL is that you will submit your own application and are not using an agent to do so on your behalf. That is, you must write the application yourself. Of course, you may ask advice from others on what to include. If you completed a Bachelor’s degree fairly recently you may wish to ask the academic who supervised your dissertation, or one of the other academics who taught you, to take a look at a draft of your application, particularly the personal statement. However, we will need to see you prove your academic potential and so the application you submit must be primarily the result of your own efforts. If you do not know anyone who is able to offer advice on what to include in a Master’s degree application, please be guided by the information in the UCL Graduate Prospectus on writing a personal statement.

How long will it take for a decision to be made on my application?

UCL aims to make a decision within six weeks of receiving your complete application, academic transcripts and both references. However and importantly, please note that it often takes three or four months to make a decision because staff have many applications to consider, as well as their teaching, research and managerial responsibilities. You are therefore strongly advised to find out which is the best degree programme for you and apply online well in advance of when you want to start your Master’s.  

How will my application be assessed?

UCL Graduate Admissions will perform some initial checks (references, transcripts, fee status and any disability declaration) before passing your application to The Bartlett Faculty Office who will then check you have included a personal statement and that your references are from appropriate people. Your application is then passed to the Admissions Tutor or Programme Leader. If we want to interview you, the Admissions Tutor or Programme Leader will contact you to arrange this. Interviews may be in person or by Skype. They will then make a recommendation. Please note that only the Graduate Admissions Office is able to make you an official, binding offer. They will e-mail you when this has been confirmed.  

The decision is based on an assessment of your personal statement, academic record, references, interview performance and how well your academic interests and experience fit with the programme you have applied for. 

If I cannot take up my offer of a place can I defer it to next year?

Offer holders can apply to defer entry until the following year using our online application portal, Portico. Requests to defer entry are considered by the relevant Programme Leader. Please note that a number of our academic departments do not permit deferrals unless there are exceptional reasons. 

Is there accommodation available at UCL?  

Many Master’s degree students live in private accommodation rather than UCL accommodation. Information and free legal advice is available from the University of London Housing Service. Also, UCL collaborates with a number of independent organisations offering private accommodation to students in London.  

Master’s degree students will be offered UCL accommodation if they are registered for full-time study, have Overseas fee status, have never lived in London before while studying at university, and apply for accommodation before 30 June.  

For the most up to date information regarding UCL Accommodation and how we are operating during the pandemic, please visit our Coronavirus pages. 

International students

I do not have British qualifications. Which international qualifications are required to apply for a Master’s degree at The Bartlett?

Please visit the ‘Country search’ webpage to see how your qualifications compare to a British lower second-class (2:2) and upper second-class (2:1) Bachelor’s degree.

English is not my first language. Do I have to pass an English test to apply for a Master’s degree at The Bartlett?

Yes. Please visit the English Language Entry Requirements webpage to see which tests we accept and how to take them. The test has to be passed within the two years before the start of your Master’s degree. So if your Master’s will start in September 2021, you need to have passed the English test after September 2019.  

You will not have to take a test if you can prove that you have studied for at least a year – and have been successfully awarded a qualification – in a country that UCL considers to be ‘majority English speaking’. Again, this study needs to be within the two years before the start of your UCL Master’s degree.  

You will not have to take a test if you can prove that you have been employed for at least a year and a half in a country that UCL considers to be ‘majority English speaking’. Again, this employment needs to be within the two years before the start of your UCL Master’s degree. 

Do I need a visa to study at UCL?

If you are not from the United Kingdom (including dual nationals) and are coming to study in the UK for more than 6 months then you will require a Tier 4 Student visa. The Immigration and Visas section of the UCL website gives detailed instructions on how to apply. Please note that the earliest you can submit an application is three months before the start date of your programme. If you submit an application earlier than this you will automatically be refused.  

Before you can apply for a visa, UCL needs to issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number to you. This is a unique 14-digit reference number which UCL Graduate Admissions will e-mail to you along with additional information you will need from UCL to make a Tier 4 visa application. A CAS number is valid for use for 6 months from the date it was issued. It can be used only once for a single application.  

If you have a conditional offer, you must meet all the conditions before we can send you a CAS number. Once you meet all the conditions, UCL Graduate Admissions will issue an Unconditional Offer to you. When you accept this, we can send you the CAS number. 

Fees and funding 

How much does a Master’s degree at The Bartlett cost?

The tuition fees amount for each programme is shown on the UCL Graduate Prospectus. The fees vary depending on whether you study full- or part-time and whether you are a UK or an Overseas student. Students starting in September need to pay at least one third of the annual fee before the end of October. The second third needs to be paid by early February and the last third before May.  

Please see the UCL Students website for the fee schedules, which provide details of the tuition fees for each programme offered by UCL. You can search for specific programmes and the fees shown are for full- time and/or part-time study. You can also find out how your fee status is determined.  

Please note that students on certain degree programmes will incur some additional costs not covered by their tuition fee; for example, for specialist equipment, artists' materials, books or costs related to carrying out fieldwork. In the UCL Graduate Prospectus, each programme has an ‘Additional Costs’ section which will give you an idea of how much students on that programme typically need to pay for things like design equipment or fieldwork. Please check this. 

What if I can’t afford it?

We recognise that there are prospective students with the potential and qualities needed to succeed academically, but who simply cannot afford the financial costs of studying for a degree. The Bartlett Promise Scholarship aims to enable students from backgrounds under-represented in our faculty to pursue their postgraduate studies at The Bartlett. The Bartlett Promise Scholarship is open to UK domiciled students with home fee status, see the full eligibility requirements here.  

Please view the relevant department website to see if they offer a scholarship specifically for the Master’s degree programme you wish to study. These will be advertised there, if they do. Our department websites can be accessed from here.  

There are other sources of funding for Master’s degree students that you may be eligible for. Please see the Funding and Scholarships part of the UCL website for further information.  

Also, some students are fortunate to be sponsored by their employer, while others may combine part-time study with part-time work. Competition for funding is intense, however, and most do not take into account financial need. They are awarded on the basis of academic excellence.  

You are very welcome to contact the Bartlett Faculty Office if you want advice on funding your Master’s degree studies in our faculty. Please email bartlett.pgt-admissions@ucl.ac.uk

How much does it cost to live in London?

Average living costs can be difficult to predict, as every student will have different priorities and lifestyle choices. Please refer to the UCL Graduate website for more information on living costs in London

Pre-arrival information 

How often do I need to attend UCL while studying a Master’s degree?

We encourage our students to attend all scheduled teaching events. This will give you the best chance of academic success. The way UCL approaches attendance is changing, with a new system being introduced to help you manage your attendance and maximise your chances for success. Please see the ‘Attendance at UCL’ webpage for more information on this.  

Postgraduate Taught programme students who require a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa must complete a form to request absence from study. Students can find this form in the UCL Academic Manual

Can I work while studying?

We understand that some students need to work in order to be able to afford their tuition fees. However, it is important to ensure that your studies will not suffer because of your work commitments. You will need to be sure that you are available for the timetabled elements of your studies, and that you allocate enough time each week for studying.  

Depending on your immigration status in the UK you may have restrictions on employment. Please see the ‘Working during your studies’ webpage for information on your working rights in the UK. 

What work opportunities are available to students?  

Please see the UCL Careers website for information on internships, graduate vacancies, part-time jobs, volunteering or other work opportunities.

Where are the Master’s degree programmes taught?

The main UCL campus is located in Bloomsbury, which is in central London. Almost all of the Master’s degrees in The Bartlett are taught there.  

A few of our programmes are based at Here East. This is 5.5 miles (8.8 km) from our Bloomsbury campus and about 40 minutes by public transport. Please see the UCL at Here East website for a list of these programmes. 

How do I enrol?  

You will receive an email inviting you to enrol when you have met all the conditions of your offer and accepted the offer. If you are an international student, you also need to have received your Confirmation of Acceptance (CAS) from us. Information on the enrolment process is given on the ‘Pre-enrolment’ webpage. The deadline for enrolment is 2 weeks after the start date of your programme.  

How do I find out what I need to do in my first week at UCL?  

Over the summer (June to August), The Bartlett will email you with information on our welcome and induction events.