The Environmental Design and Engineering MSc develops innovative thinking about sustainable building design, energy use and building-related health issues to use in leading international roles.
First taught nearly 40 years ago, the EDE MSc is a world-leading programme that offers students from across the globe the chance to join a long list of high-achieving graduates sought after by the biggest names in design and construction.
The EDE MSc is geared towards professionals looking to enhance their careers in the direction of environmental design and engineering – although recent graduates in subjects such as architecture, engineering and physics have also recently benefitted from the programme.
Areas covered by the programme typically include smart energy systems, building simulation software, noise control and lighting design – but every year it is adapted to meet the needs of its intake, drawing on always-developing connections to expertise through the help of alumni in senior positions in academia and industry.
Why choose The Bartlett
- links to leading local and international architectural and engineering groups
- powerful networks across The Bartlett, one of the world’s leading faculties of the built environment, UCL, one of the world’s top universities, and our alumni
- access to unrivalled scientific and professional knowledge and experience
- a nearly 40 year track record of successful building design and construction industry graduates
- a London location – a recognised centre in environmental design and engineering development
- won three successive EPSRC Platform Grants
Who should apply
Professionals who want to develop their careers in the direction of environmental design and engineering, recent graduates in architecture, engineering, physics and other built environment-related subjects.
About the course
Term 1 consists of compulsory modules to provide a foundation of knowledge. Term 2 consists of optional modules – subjects to choose from include smart energy systems, building simulation software, noise control and lighting design.
Every year, we adapt the programme to reflect student needs and interests, utilising connections with alumni in senior positions at leading companies and consultancies.
This course has been accredited as suitable further learning to meet the academic requirement for Chartered Engineers (Ceng) by the:
It was awarded the Happold Brilliant award by CIBSE for the best accredited course in October 2010.
Affiliated Centres and Institutes
Our staff are very closely linked to several other groups both within The Bartlett and across UCL, in particular:
- UCL Institute for Sustainable Heritage
- The UCL Engineering Doctorate Centre in Virtual Environments, Imaging and Visualisation (VEIV)
- The UCL Royal Academy of Engineering, Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design
Visit our Mapping page for info on where a few hundred of our more than 700 graduates are now (EDEComm).
Previous students and titles of their dissertations can be found on our previous dissertations page, this gives a good idea of the range of expertise found within the course staff team.
- For key information, including how to apply, visit the UCL Graduate Prospectus
- Find out more about the course's content and structure, its staff, and career routes followed by recent graduates
- Can't find what you're looking for? Get in touch