The Environmental Design and Engineering MSc develops innovative thinking about sustainable building design, energy use and building-related health issues to use in leading international roles.
On this page
Established for 40 years, the EDE MSc is a world-leading programme that offers knowledge and expertise for designing energy efficient and sustainable buildings to tackle today’s critical issues surrounding the built environment. The programme explores emerging themes in built environment study and reflects the joined-up, interdisciplinary ways of thinking that are increasingly in demand in industry.
Key areas covered by the programme include passive design principles, efficient building services systems design and advanced building simulation techniques, as well as understanding buildings and the built environment as a complex system.
The programme's unrivalled access to scientific and professional knowledge and experience also provides students with the opportunity to be taught by experts in their fields, and to be involved in ground-breaking research.
Term 1 consists of compulsory modules to provide a foundation of knowledge. Term 2 consists of compulsory and optional modules, with subjects including:
- Advanced building simulation
- Low-energy building retrofit
- Smart energy systems
- Systems thinking and system dynamics
- Multi-objective design optimisation
Every year, we adapt the programme to reflect student needs and interests, using connections with alumni in senior positions at leading companies and consultancies.
- Key staff
Dr Sung-Min Hong (Programme Leader)
View Sung-Min's profile
Dr Hector Altamirano Medina
View Hector's profile
Dr Esfandiar Burman
View Esfandiar's profile
Dr Ben Croxford
View Ben's profile
Dr Foroutan Parand
View Foroutan's profile
Dr Marcella Ucci
View Marcella's profile
Dr Nici Zimmermann
View Nici's profile
- Additional teaching staff
Dr Mark Barrett
View Mark's profile
Dr Rokia Raslan
View Rokia's profile
Dr Carrie Behar
Dr Teresa Domenech
View Teresa's profile
Dr Catalina Spataru
View Catalina's profile
Dr Phil Symonds
View Phil's profile
Dr Stephen Cannon-Brookes
View Stephen's profile
Other Bartlett staff, including doctoral students, are also called on to supervise dissertations.
The course has links with the UCL Energy Institute, and many recent graduates are current Engineering Doctorate students.
- External staff
Situated at UCL in London, the EDE MSc programme is also able to draw on a wide range of external lecturers working in industry, some of whom are graduates of the course. In a typical year, students may receive lectures given by experts from a range of backgrounds.
This course has been accredited as suitable further learning to meet the academic requirement for Chartered Engineers (CEng) by the following institutions:
It was awarded the Happold Brilliant award by CIBSE for the best accredited course in October 2010.
A strong alumni network meets seven or eight times annually with seminars on topics of interest by graduates in industry or UCL researchers. This is a key link for current students to gain access to buildings for their dissertations, as well as explore opportunities for internships and jobs.
Top graduates from the course are generally offered positions before the course is completed, and the majority of graduates have been employed within a few months of graduating.
- Find out more about the careers of our graduates
In recent years graduates have joined architects, engineering firms and environmental consultancies including:
- Atkins Global
- Bere Architects
- Buro Happold
- Foster + Partners
- The Facility Architects
- PHA Consult
- Passiv Systems
- XCO2 Energy
A significant number of students have chosen to continue their education with UCL carrying out PhD or EngD programmes, such as those offered by the Centre in Virtual Environments, Imaging and Visualisation (VEIV); the Centre in Urban Sustainability and Resilience (USAR); and the UCL Energy Institute.
Visit our Mapping page for info on where a few hundred of our more than 700 alumni from the programme are now (EDEComm).
Previous students and titles of their dissertations can be found on our previous dissertations page. This gives a good idea of the range of expertise found within the course staff team.
Our staff are very closely linked to several other groups both within The Bartlett and across UCL, in particular:
- UCL Institute for Sustainable Heritage
- The UCL Engineering Doctorate Centre in Virtual Environments, Imaging and Visualisation (VEIV)
- The UCL Royal Academy of Engineering, Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design
- Links to leading local and international architectural and engineering groups.
- Powerful networks across The Bartlett, one of the world’s leading faculties of the built environment, UCL, one of the world’s top universities, and our alumni.
- Access to unrivalled scientific and professional knowledge and experience.
- A track record of over 40 years in successful building design and training construction industry graduates.
- A London location – a recognised centre in environmental design and engineering development.
- Won three successive EPSRC Platform Grants.
- For key information, including how to apply, visit the UCL Graduate Prospectus
- Find out more about the course structure and content, read our student testimonials and see titles of past dissertations.
- If you can't find what you're looking for, please contact our administrative team:
+44 (0)20 3108 5963