Prof Julio D Davila
Professor of Urban Policy and International Development
Development Planning Unit
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 1st Oct 2000
My research focuses on the role of city governments in progressive social and political transformation; governance dimensions of urban and peri-urban infrastructure (transport, water & sanitation); planning and urban informality; and linkages between rapid urbanisation and health. I am currently involved in debates with scholars and practitioners on the urban impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a view to furthering applied policy research to the greatest development challenge facing humanity for generations. This includes participation in a recent international survey, and arises from previous work, including: inter-disciplinary research on urban zoonotic diseases in Nairobi (Kenya); social and urban impacts of transport investments in Medellin and Barranquilla (Colombia), and in Nigerian cities; and the interactions between urban planning and health, as examined in, among others, a co-authored Lancet article.
For a complete list of publications see under 'Publications' below. My books include:
- Dávila, J D (editor), 2013, Urban Mobility and Poverty: Lessons from Medellin and Soacha, Colombia, Development Planning Unit, UCL and Universidad Nacional de Colombia, 214 pages.
- Allen, A, J D Dávila, and P Hofmann, 2006, Governance of water and sanitation for the peri-urban poor: A framework for understanding and action in metropolitan regions, Development Planning Unit, UCL, 124 pages.
- Brook, R and J D Dávila (editors), 2000, The Peri-urban Interface: A Tale of Two Cities, School of Agricultural and Forest Sciences, University of Bangor, and Development Planning Unit, UCL, 251 pages.
- Dávila, J D, 2000, Planificación y política en Bogotá: La vida de Jorge Gaitán Cortés (Planning and politics in Bogotá: A biography of Jorge Gaitán Cortés), Alcaldía Mayor de Bogotá, 230 pages.
- Ahmed, S., Dávila, J D, et al., 2019, “Does urbanization make emergence of zoonosis more likely? Evidence, myths and gaps”, Environment and Urbanization, Vol. 31 No. 2, pp. 443-460.
- Dávila, J D, 2014, Urban fragmentation, 'good governance' and the emergence of the competitive city”, in S. Parnell, S. and S, Oldfield (eds.) The Routledge Handbook on Cities of the Global South, Routledge, London, pp. 474-486.
- Dávila, J D, 2009, “Being a mayor: Four views from Colombia”, Environment and Urbanization, Vol. 20, No. 1, April 2009, pp. 37-57.
- Dávila, J D et al., 2006, Housing and Land for the Urban Poor. Case Studies of Bogotá-Soacha and Medellín, report for World Bank-Cities Alliance and Colombian Government (in Spanish)
Julio is currently on a sabbatical year until September 2021. In previous years he has run the Doctoral Seminar series for first-year MPhil/PhD students at the DPU and taught in the following UCL Master's modules:
DPU: 'Industrialisation and infrastructure' (not run in 2020/21)
UCL Institute for Global Health: 'Urban health'
Bartlett School of Planning: 'International case studies in transport planning'
- University of London
- Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy | 1998
- University College London
- Other higher degree, Master of Science | 1984
- University College London
- Other Postgraduate qualification (including professional), Postgraduate Diploma | 1983
- Universidad de los Andes
- First Degree, Bachelor of Science (Honours) | 1981
Julio D Dávila is Professor of Urban Policy and International Development at UCL.