BIM-enabled Design for Manufacture and Assembly in Healthcare Construction
In the construction industry, 30% of delays are due to poor productivity, lack of materials, lack of design information and man power. The traditional process between design, manufacture and assembly is being changed by the industrialisation and digitalization for a high-level of building process integration. Among many initiatives, Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA) is regarded as the future of construction. Relevant government agencies in the UK, Singapore and Hong Kong have begun to promote DfMA. Various digital technologies, such as Building Information Modeling (BIM), cloud-hosted digital twin, IoT and Blockchain, have been tried by the industry and academia to help the realization of DfMA. However, there is a gap between the digital capabilities supporting the pilot and the capabilities available to support scaling it.
My Ph.D. research aims to investigate the status of DfMA in construction, identify how BIM enables DfMA, and finally provide a framework for BIM-enabled design to analysis and increase manufacturability and assemblability in healthcare construction. This study will follow a mixed research design combine qualitative and quantitative methods to the answer above-mentioned questions. Theory about applying BIM-enabled DfMA in healthcare construction will be developed.
- Tan, T., Mills, G., Papadonikolaki, E., & Liu, Z. (2021). Combining multi-criteria decision making (MCDM) methods with building information modelling (BIM): A review. Automation in Construction, 121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2020.103451
- Mills, G., Goodier, C., Kingston, J., Astely, P., Symons, A., Tan, T., Sherwood, C. (2020). Challenging Space Frontiers in Hospitals: Accelerating capabilities and advancing platforms for modern hospital manufacture. Report prepared for Transforming Construction Network Plus, UCL Bartlett School of Construction and Project Management.
- Tan, T*., Mills, G., Papadonikolaki, E., Lu, W., Chen, K. (2020). BIM-based Design for Manufacture and Assembly: A review. In 27th EG-ICE International Workshop on Intelligent Computing in Engineering (EG-ICE 2020). In Press.
- Tan, T., Lu, W*., Tan, G., Xue, F., Chen, K., Xu, J., Wang, J., & Gao, S. (2020). Construction-oriented design for manufacture and assembly (DfMA) guidelines. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 148(8), 04020085. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0001877
- Lu, W., Tan, T*., Xu, J., Wang, J., Chen, K., Gao, S., & Xue, F. (2020). Design for Manufacture and Assembly in construction: The old and the new. Architectural, Engineering and Design Management. https://doi.org/10.1080/17452007.2020.1768505
- Tan, T., Lu, W., Li, C., Chen, K*., & Tan, G. (2020). Implementation of Design for Manufacture and Assembly principles in the construction project: A case study. In Proceedings of Construction Research Congress 2020. Mar. 8-10, 2020, Tempe, US. In Press.
- Xue, F*., Lu, W., Tan, T., Chen, K. (2019). Semantic enrichment of city information models with LiDAR-based rooftop albedo. In 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Buildings and Structures (ICSBS 2019). Oct. 25-27. Suzhou, China.
- Tan, T., Chen, K., Lu, W., & Xue, F*. (2019). Semantic enrichment for rooftop modeling using Aerial LiDAR reflectance. In 2019 IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Communications and Computing (ICSPCC 2019). Sept. 20-23, Dalian, China.
- Tan, T., Chen, K*., Xue, F., & Lu, W. (2019). Barriers to Building Information Modeling (BIM) implementation in China's prefabricated construction: An interpretive structural modeling (ISM) approach. Journal of Cleaner Production, 219, 949-959. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.02.141