Development Economics of Infrastructure Investment
School Research Theme: Economics and financing of the built environment
Research supervisors: Dr D'Maris Coffman; Dr Ian Hamilton; Dr Priti Parikh; Prof Michelle Baddeley
Start date: 29 September 2016
I am an infrastructure investment professional whose research interest lies in the development impact of infrastructure.
My PhD research, studentship, fees and residential bursaries are funded respectively by the International Growth Centre, UCL and Goodenough College.
- Research Project Manager for IGC-funded research assessing the welfare effects of undersupply of power on Zambia's manufacturing firms.
- Teaching Fellow to MSc Infrastructure Investment and Finance and MSc Construction Economics and Management students.
- Captain, Goodenough Cricket Club.
- Violinist, Good Ensemble.
Prior to my PhD, I helped the Rwandan government execute award-winning and innovative infrastructure projects as its PPP Transactions Advisor from 2012-2016, and developed investment presentation and appraisal tools and contributed to Rwanda’s laws on PPPs and investment promotion as a Special Policy Advisor to Rwanda’s Treasury to the Secretary.
Before that, I worked in African private equity in London. I have a Master of International Business degree from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, where I was a Schmidheiny Global Business Scholar, with an exchange at HEC Paris, and a BA in Economics from UC Berkeley.
- Publications and other work
Since PhD and related:
- Working paper: Ahmed, I. et al. 2019., The cost of power outages to Zambia’s manufacturing sector, International Growth Centre.
- Broadcast economic presentation: Nurturing the Manufacturing Sector, ZNBC News, 5 September, 2019
- Policy Brief: Ahmed, I. et al. 2019. The cost of power outages to Zambia’s manufacturing sector, International Growth Centre.
- Book review: Ahmed, I. 2018. Chris Huggins, Agricultural Reform in Rwanda: authoritarianism, markets and zones of governance. Africa, 88(4) pp 896-897. Africa, 7 November, 2018
- Seismic costs, Dawn, 7 October, 2018
- Courting disaster, Dawn, 18 August, 2017
- After off-grid electricity, what chance off-grid water?, Financial Times, 31 July, 2017
- Leapfrogging into the light, Financial Times, 27 March, 2017
Since PhD and unrelated:
- Broadcast economic presentation: Amazon Fires, BBC Parliament, 16 September, 2019
- How British liberals should advocate for the human rights of the citizens of Jammu and Kashmir, Lib Dem Voice, 30 August, 2019
- The case for changing our laws on revoking citizenship, Lib Dem Voice, 19 August, 2019.
- What’s in a name?, Pakistan Today, 20 March, 2017
Pre-PhD and related:
- PPP success in Rwanda shows potential for greater self-reliance, Financial Times beyondbrics, 2 April, 2015
- Is your economy sharia compliant?, The Guardian Comment is Free, 2 February, 2011
- What is the world had been following Islamic financial practices?, The Guardian Comment is Free, 7 January, 2011
- Pakistan, rebranded, The Boston Globe, 25 March, 2010, co-authored