CASA has a world-leading PhD programme. Many CASA alumni now have successful academic careers, or have become key advisors to government and industry.
About the course
The research degrees of PhD and MPhil are awarded for the most advanced level of study available at UCL. The aim is to make an original contribution to knowledge, leading to the enhancement of academe and practice.
The programme is intensive as we encourage students to contribute to our research community alongside taking any taught courses they may wish to.
We usually expect applicants to have a Masters degree in a relevant subject. Suitable subjects include:
- Computer Science
We also ask for a research proposal as part of the application process. This should be a close match to the expertise and interests of the potential supervisors.
Daryl Lloyd, PhD Advanced Spatial Analysis, 2005
Daryl has been a member of the Government Statistical Service since 2005. Daryl completed his PhD at CASA in 2005 and worked with us as a Research Fellow between 2003 and 2004.
Flora Roumpani, MRes 2011-2012 & PhD 2018
"I was always interested in the future of the city, virtual environments and exploring the ways in which cities evolve, which is why in my MRes dissertation I worked on the development of urban modelling theories within interactive 3D enviroments."
- Find out more about the programme's structure, the staff that will act as your supervisors, and the facilities UCL has to offer
- For core course information, including how to apply, head to our programme overview page
Why choose The Bartlett?
- located within the UK’s largest multidisciplinary faculty of the built environment, in one of the world’s top universities
- based in central London, close to world-leading architectural, engineering and creative practices, many of whom are partners
- host to students from over 40 nations, many of them among the most sought-after in the world for their drive, creativity, and skills