The Bartlett Promise Master's Scholarship
Full tuition fees plus an allowance to cover living and study expenses (£15,364), for the normal duration of the programme at UCL. All Promise scholars will also receive on-going academic and career support during their study.
Number of awards
Ten scholarships are available to students starting September 2021.
We are also offering up to three additional scholarships with the Aziz Foundation.
Postgraduate taught master’s programmes
We will consider your educational, personal and financial circumstances. You will need to demonstrate these in your application. Assessment of applications will be made in relation to the eligibility criteria.
The scholarship deadline has passed, we will be releasing next year's scholarships in the autumn.
- Eligibility criteria for September 20211
The Bartlett Promise aims to enable students from backgrounds which are underrepresented in The Bartlett, to pursue postgraduate master’s studies at The Bartlett, UCL’s Faculty of the Built Environment.
- be UK domiciled with home fee status or be a forced migrant (as defined by UCL)
- have an offer of admission to a Bartlett master’s programme for study in 2021/22 and
- must not have completed a master’s at UCL or anywhere else previously 2
In addition to these, for The Bartlett Promise - Aziz Foundation scholarship candidates must:
- identify as a British Muslim and/or
- work to support British Muslim communities
Candidates must also meet at least one of the additional criteria:
- be in financial need as assessed by UCL3
- be from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic background 4
- be from a Gypsy, Roma or Traveller community 5
- have a disability 5
- be a care leaver 5
- have care responsibilities
- be first generation in family to attend university at undergraduate level
- be first generation in family to attend university at postgraduate level
1 Eligibility criteria for 2022/23 and beyond may differ
2 This includes integrated masters degrees or degrees sometimes known as 'undergraduate masters'
3 With an assessed household income of less than £42,875
4 We define BAME as those of a non-white heritage and individuals of mixed-heritage who self-identify as coming from a BAME background
5 Underrepresented groups in Higher Education
- How to apply
The scholarship application process for September 2021 entry has closed. We will be releasing new scholarships for September 2022 entry in the autumn.
We will consider your educational, personal and financial circumstances. You will need to demonstrate these in your application form. Please read the FAQs carefully before completing your application.
Candidates applying for a master’s scholarship from The Bartlett Promise must have received an offer from one of The Bartlett schools to study a master’s programme in 2021/22. You do not need to have accepted the offer.
The offer may be unconditional (the applicant has met all the requirements to join the programme) or conditional (i.e. the offer is conditional on the applicant meeting key requirements such as a 2.1 grade in their undergraduate programme). If a shortlisted candidate has a conditional offer, they will need to confirm that they have met the conditions required by 30 July 2021 so that they can be considered for an award.
As part of the application process, shortlisted candidates will be asked to engage in a one-to-one dialogue with the Windsor Fellowship5 to discuss anything else which you feel might support your application. This will not include describing or detailing your academic abilities. For The Bartlett Promise – Aziz Foundation scholarships, a representative of the Aziz Foundation will participate in the dialogue. The dialogues will be conducted electronically via an appropriate method agreed between the Windsor Fellowship and the applicant e.g. telephone, Zoom etc. They will be scheduled by the Windsor Fellowship in the 2-3 week period after the 21 June 2021.
5 The Windsor Fellowship is supporting The Bartlett in conducting the one-to-one dialogues that form part of the application process. The Bartlett will share the data of applicants with the Windsor Fellowship for the purposes of conducting these dialogues. By submitting your application you agree to The Bartlett sharing your information with the Windsor Fellowship.
The selection panel will assess your application based on information provided on your scholarship application form and the information you provide in your one-to-one dialogue with the Windsor Fellowship. Assessment of applications will be made in relation to the eligibility criteria. For The Bartlett Promise – Aziz Foundation scholarships, a representative of the Aziz Foundation will participate in the selection process.
If you have any questions, please visit our FAQ page.
The Bartlett Promise works in partnership with donors who share our vision of a more diversified built environment to fund scholarships. For 2021/22, The Bartlett will work the Aziz Foundation.
- The Bartlett Promise - Aziz Foundation Scholarship
The Bartlett Promise works with donor organisations to increase the number of scholarships we are able to offer. The Aziz Foundation funds tuition fees for master’s scholarships for British Muslim students and those who work to support the British Muslim community. They look for scholars who are dedicated to:
- Effective Advocacy and Enhancing Public Perception – facilitating better representation and contribution of Muslims to civil society to combat Islamophobia and positively transform perceptions of British Muslims
- Community Service and Social Development – raising the aspirations and standards within British Muslim communities
Together, we offer The Bartlett Promise Scholarship supported by the Aziz Foundation (also known as The Bartlett Promise – Aziz Foundation scholarship). This award has the same value and conditions as The Bartlett Promise scholarship but you must meet the Aziz Foundation criteria to be considered.
The Bartlett Promise - Aziz Foundation FAQs
How many The Bartlett Promise - Aziz Foundation scholarship's are available?
There are three scholarships available.
Can I apply for both The Bartlett Promise scholarship and The Bartlett Promise - Aziz Foundation scholarship?
Yes. By answering the Aziz Foundation questions in the application form (questions 26-28), you will be considered for both The Bartlett Promise - Aziz Foundation scholarship, for which you must meet the specified criteria, and The Bartlett Promise scholarship.
Are there any benefits to being awarded The Bartlett Promise – Aziz Foundation scholarship?
Yes. You will join a community of Aziz Foundation scholars in addition to being part of The Bartlett Promise community. The Aziz Foundation will help you develop your leadership skills by providing you with seminars, workshops and opportunities to build your networks.
If I am awarded The Bartlett Promise - Aziz Foundation scholarship, will I have to meet any special requirements during the year of my scholarship or beyond?
Yes. If you are awarded The Bartlett Promise – Aziz Foundation scholarship you will be asked to:
- Provide a bio to be uploaded to the Aziz Foundation website
- Participate in the Aziz Foundation scholars’ induction day in September
- Provide two progress reports each academic year to show that you are making good progress with your programme
- Engage with the online platforms run by the Aziz Foundation
- Spend the equivalent of two weeks volunteering during the year. This could consist of working with British Muslim community and civil society organisations, participating in outreach activities through formal widening participation schemes, facilitated by UCL, or undertaking informal outreach work on one’s own initiative such as giving a talk to a local secondary school.
Are there any restrictions on the eligible programmes for The Bartlett Promise - Aziz Foundation scholarship?
Yes. The Aziz Foundation will not sponsor these programmes:
- MSc Architectural Computation
- MArch Architectural Design
- MArch Architecture
- MArch/MSc Bio-Integrated Design
- MArch Design for Manufacture
- MArch Design for Performance and Interaction
- MA/MLA Landscape Architecture
- MSc Light and Lighting
- MSc Digital Innovation Built Asset Management
- MSc Digital Engineering Management
- MSc Built Environment: Environmental Design and Engineering
- MSc Energy Systems and Data Analytics
- MSc Smart Buildings and Digital Engineering
- MSc Smart Energy and the Built Environment
- MSc Spatial Data Science and Visualisation
- However, all these programmes are eligible for The Bartlett Promise scholarship.
Watch The Bartlett Promise Master's Scholarship Q&A with:
- Prof Iain Borden (Vice-Dean Education)
- Peter McLennan (Faculty Graduate Tutor, Taught)
- Dr Zain Sardar (Programme Manager, Aziz Foundation)
- Saif Osmani (MA Architecture & Historic Urban Environments, 2019/20, Aziz Scholar alumni)
- Uma (current student)
If you have any queries about The Bartlett Promise, please get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org