Research at The Bartlett School of Architecture is original, experimental and influential on the study and practice of architecture worldwide.
Our cross-disciplinary approach intertwines methodologies and expands architectural research to reach other fields in the arts and humanities, social and environmental sciences, and technology, in collaboration with partners from across UCL and other UK institutions.
Learn more about our six principal areas of research, and see a selection of individual projects and activities:
- History and theory of architecture
- Building projects
- Sustainable urbanism
- Craft, technology and computation
- Histories and practices of ecology
- Speculative and performative design
In the UK’s latest Research Excellence Framework exercise (REF2014), Bartlett research staff achieved the greatest proportion of 4* ratings overall of any faculty in the built environment field.
- Professor Barbara Penner, Director of Architectural Research
- Dr Kerstin Sailer, Director of Enterprise
- Professor Yeoryia Manolopoulou, Associate Director of Design Research
- Thomas Abbs, Senior Research and Enterprise Coordinator