“We asked [student] to stay on with us for a few extra weeks, to which she readily agreed. [She] is a great asset; genuinely happy, committed, enthusiastic, keen to contribute and pass on new ideas, apply her global knowledge and intellectual integrity, basically she has made herself indispensable(!) I have to say that we are equally impressed by [student], who has blended in seamlessly to our team too. She also demonstrates a great number of the positive attributes and work ethics that we value, so overall we are delighted with the BASc undergraduates this summer. (Prescient - 2018)
Why do an internship?
The main benefits of undertaking an internship are to:
- Provide evidence of previous work experience to potential employers
- Enable students to explore a field of work/industry sector
- Enable students to reflect on their strengths and weaknesses and further improve essential transferable skills such as team-working and commercial awareness
- Enable students to build their confidence
- Enable students to gain an understanding of how theory and research relates to practice in an employment context
- Provide students with opportunities to network with industry contacts
- Provide students with an opportunity to earn money
Watch three former BAScers talk about the importance of undertaking an internship and how it helped them after they graduated from BASc.