UCL Arts & Humanities aims to ensure that all our staff and students from diverse ethnic backgrounds are supported to reach their full potential during their studies and careers.
UCL Arts & Humanities is an ethnically diverse community and we are committed to supporting staff and students. This includes but not limited to: the Dean's Race Equality Pledges 2020; Race Equity research in the faculty; BME Students' Network.
Dean's Race Equality Pledges 2020
- Ensure that all departments and programmes have an inclusion lead
- Ensure that all departments and programmes have a 2-year EDI plan which includes race equality objectives
- Support staff to embed race awareness in their everyday practice through sharing of internal and external digital resources
- Ensure that all staff on selection panels have completed unconscious bias training
- Organise student town hall every term and use feedback to inform EDI plans at dept level
- Ensure past 3 years’ student & staff EDI data made available to HoDs and DMs to support planning
- Make sure all new programmes embed race equality in their design by carrying out an EDI ‘health-check’
- Make sure job descriptions for all new academic staff appointments have been approved by faculty EDI committee
- Make sure HoDs and appraisers encourage qualified BAME staff to apply for promotion and career development opportunities
Race Equity research in the faculty
The UCL Sarah Parker Remond Centre for the Study of Racism and Racialisation explores the impact of racism - scientific, metaphysical and cultural.
BME Students' Network
The Black and Minority Ethnic Network represents the views of students’ at UCL who self-define as BME, including but not limited to, students with African, Asian, Arab, Caribbean and Indigenous heritages. This involves meetings to discuss issues that affect the network, running of campaigns and projects, and attending socials.
- Access and Widening Participation
- B-MEntor Academic
- B-MEntor Professional
- Deans and Professional Services Director's Race Equality Pledges 2020
- Fair Recruitment Specialist Scheme
- Guidance for Managers - Supporting Black Staff at Work
- Inclusive Advocacy
- Race equality educational resources
- Racial and Xenophobic Harassment
- Student BME Networks, Clubs and Societies
- UCL BME Attainment Project
- UCL's Statement on Race