This module focuses on the organisational and managerial context of museums.
This module aims to familiarise students with a variety of key aspects of management, both theoretical and technical, which are deemed essential for the effective running of museums. It discusses management against the background of the ever-changing role of museums and the many challenges relating to economy, politics and society that institutions face today. A variety of topics pertaining to museum management are examined, including current issues and debates; financial aspects and strategic planning; governance and leadership; marketing; technology and digitisation; legislation and policies; professional ethics and codes of conduct; management of human resources; identity and impact management; and fundraising and development.
- the international and national museum scene
- legislation relating to museums
- professional ethics and codes of conduct
- strategic planning
- management of resources
- Code: ARCL0093
- Credits: 15
- Coordinator: Evi Baniotopoulou
- Prerequisite: This option is only available to students who have accepted onto the MA in Museum Studies.
- Handbook: open»
For registered students
- Runs every year