Sensing the Iron Age and Roman Past
Geophysics and the landscape of Hertfordshire
This AHRC-funded community archaeology project brings together a wide variety of groups within the county of Hertfordshire to investigate a selection of Iron Age and Roman sites via magnetometry survey.
The project is using a Foerster 4-probe magnetometry cart system which allows for rapid surveys. A selection of sites across both the county and the settlement hierarchy have been selected and will be surveyed during the year.
The project’s results will be presented at a one day workshop and published in an open access article.
As part of the project a week-long course in Remote Sensing for Community Archaeology will be run, hosted by Verulamium Museum. The course is being taught by Kris Lockyear (UCL/WAS), Andrew Bevan (UCL), Rinita Dalan (Minnesota State University Moorhead), Larry Conyers (Denver University), Jarrod Burks (Ohio Valley Archaeological Consultants), John Cook (Archaeology South-East) and David Wilborn (DW Consultants). The course will involve lectures in the mornings and practical classes in the afternoons including resistance survey, magnetometry, ground penetrating radar and magnetic susceptibility. Magnetic susceptibility equipment is kindly being provided by Bartington Instruments Ltd.
This is a new research project and details of related outputs will be posted in due course.
- The project will generate a large number of geophysical surveys. The data from these surveys will be placed in an open access data archive such as UCL Discovery, Figshare or the ADS.
- A data paper will be published in the Journal of Open Archaeological Data (JOAD) which will describe the nature of the data and where the data can be accessed. Thus, the survey data will be made freely available.
- This is in addition to the principal project publication, an open access paper with the online journal Internet Archaeology which will also connect directly to the data.
- Berkhamsted and District Archaeological Society
- East Herts Archaeological Society
- Hertfordshire Historic Environment Record
- North Herts Archaeological Society
- St Albans District Council
- St Albans Young Archaeologists Club
- Verulamium Museum
- Welwyn Archaeological Society
- Welwyn Hatfield Museum Service
- Welwyn Hatfield Young Archaeologists Club
- West Essex Archaeological Group
- Wheathampstead Historical Society