Todd is on sabbatical during Term II, 2014-15
- BA, MA, PhD
- Professor of Aegean Archaeology
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL3074 The Emergence of Bronze Age Aegean States
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG193 Themes, Thought and Theory in World Archaeology: Foundations
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG195 The Aegean from first farmers to Minoan states
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG196 The Late Bronze Age Aegean
- Aegean archaeology
- Method and theory
- Landscape archaeology
- Complex societies
- Settlement archaeology
Research Directory Records
- 1978 BA Anthropology, Harvard College
- 1979 MA Archaeological method and theory, Southampton University
- 1990 PhD Archaeology, Cambridge University
- 1979 Research Assistant, Southampton University
- 1980 Research Studentship, St. John's College, Cambridge University
- 1984 Research Assistant, Cambridge University
- 1984 Research Fellow, St. John's College, Cambridge University
- 1986 Lecturer in Quantitative Analysis, Department of Archaeology, Cambridge University
- 1989 Director of Studies, Archaeology and Anthropology, St. John's College, Cambridge University.
- 1998 Reader in Archaeology, UCL
- 2007 Professor of Aegean Archaeology, UCL
- 2009 Knossos Research Fellow, British School at Athens
Todd was invited to give the BSA Annual Open Lecture 2011 on 'Surveying the Labyrinth: the Knossos Urban Landscape Project'. The podcast of this lecture is now available.
Over the last 20 years, I have supervised over 40 research students across a diverse range of subjects. Their dissertation titles (see below) give a good idea of the subjects I am interested in supervising in Aegean and East Mediterranean archaeology, ethnoarchaeology, site formation processes, landscape, settlement and household archaeology, ceramic analysis, and early complex societies.
I am presently engaged in fieldwork at Knossos in Crete, and am interested in supervising projects on all periods of occupation at the site from Neolithic (ca. 7,000 BC) until Late Roman (ca. 700 AD), particularly working with the extensive unpublished material from over a century of excavations.
- Flora Michelaki Mortuary architecture, depositional behaviour and social change in the tholos cemeteries of south-central Crete, 3000-1700 BC. (second supervisor Cyprian Broodbank)
- Lefteris Zorzos Reconstructing the Bronze Age environment and land-use on Thera, a phytolith-based approach (joint supervision with Arlene Rosen)
- Margarita Nazou Pottery, identity and sociocultural relationships in Attica and the surrounding islands (Euboea, the Northern Cyclades and the Saronic Gulf) during the Final Neolithic and the Early Bronze Age (joint supervision with Cyprian Broodbank, second supervisor Andrew Bevan)
- Lydia Evdoxiadi Iron Age houses and households in the southern Levant. Principal supervisor (2007-) (second supervisor Andrew Bevan)
- Lesley Bushnell The socio-economic implications of the distrubition of juglets in the eastern Mediterranean during the Middle and Late Bronze Ages (principal supervisor Andrew Bevan)
- Viviana Siveroni Household integration and population aggregation in Late Prehispanic Nasca (principal supervisor Bill Sillar)
- a'Campo, A. 1990. Anthropomorphic representations in prehistoric Cyprus. A formal and symbolic analysis of figurines c. 3500-1800 BC. Secondary supervisor (1989-90).
- Pinsky, V. 1992. Anthropology and the new archaeology: a critical study of disciplinary change in American archaeology. Principal supervisor (1990-92).
- Voutsaki, S. 1993. Society and culture in the Mycenaean world. An analysis of mortuary practices of the Argolid, Thessaly and the Dodecanese. Joint principal supervisor (1990-93).
- Way, H. 1994. A study of the impact of imparkment on the social landscape of Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire from c.1080 to 1760. Secondary supervisor.
- Stopp, M. 1994. Early human adaptation in the northern hemisphere and the analytic implications of taphonomy. Secondary supervisor.
- Lupton, A. 1995. Stability and change: socio-political development in North Mesopotamia and south-east Anatolia 4000-2700 B.C. Secondary supervisor.
- Thoden van Velsen, D. 1995. Etruscan rites for the dead: modern myth and ancient practice. Secondary supervisor.
- Lake, M. 1995. Computer simulation modelling of early hominid subsistence activities. Secondary supervisor.
- Morton, A. 1995. Archaeological site formation: experiments in lake margin processes. Secondary supervisor (1992-4).
- Henshilwood, C. 1995. Holocene archaeology of the coastal Garcia State Forest, southern Cape, South Africa. Secondary supervisor (1991-93).
- Buchli, V. 1996. Narkomfin Communal House, Moscow: the material culture of accommodation and resistance (1930-1991). Secondary supervisor (1992-95).
- Boismier, W. 1996. Modelling the effects of tillage processes on artefact distributions in the ploughzone: a simulation study of tillage-induced pattern formation. Principal supervisor.
- Galanidou, P. 1996. Home is where the hearth is. Spatial variation in Upper Palaeolithic rockshelter occupations. Secondary supervisor.
- Kovacik, J. 1997. Social/contextual archaeology of Chaco Canyon, New Mexico: collective memory and material culture amongst the Chaco Anasazi. Secondary supervisor.
- Knappett, C. 1997. Pottery production and organisational complexity in Protopalatial Crete. Principal supervisor.
- Brusasco, P. 1998. The Old Babylonian houses at Ur: a social analysis of space. Secondary supervisor.
- Spikins, P. 1998. Re-thinking the Mesolithic of northern England: a re-evaluation of changes in environment, population and settlement. Principal supervisor.
- Souvatzi, S. 2000. The Neolithic household in Greece. Secondary supervisor (1993-97).
- Berg, I. 2000. The Minoanisation of the southern Aegean: a comparative approach through ceramic assemblages. Principal supervisor.
- Walika-Zeh, R. 2000. Building practice and cultural space amongst the Bambara, Senufo and Bozo of Mali: an ethnoarchaeological study. Joint principal supervisor (1998-2000).
- Bevan, A. 2001. Value regimes in the eastern Mediterranean Bronze Age: an analysis through stone vessels. Secondary supervisor.
- Preston, L. 2001. A mortuary approach to cultural identities and political dynamics on Late Minoan II-IIIB Crete. Secondary supervisor.
- Lindenlauf, A. 2001. Waste management practices in ancient Greece from the Homeric to the Classical period. Secondary supervisor.
- Durrani, N. 2001. The Tihamah coastal plain of South West Arabia in its regional context (c. 6000 BC- AD 600). Principal supervisor (1999-2001).
- Kotjabopoulou, E. 2002. Patterned fragments and fragments of patterns: Upper Palaeolithic rockshelter faunas from Epirus Northwestern Greece. Secondary supervisor (1989-97).
- Hatzimichael, C. 2002. Devices, contexts, systems: administration and states in Bronze Age Crete (2000-1450 B.C.). Principal supervisor.
- Harding, R. 2003. Rajgir and its hinterland. Secondary supervisor (1996-97).
- Yalman, N. 2005. Ethno-archaeological analysis of three villages in central Anatolia for interpretation of prehistoric sites. Istanbul University: secondary supervisor (2000-05).
- Roth-Murray, C. 2005. The construction of power. An investigation into the nature and representation of authority in Etruria during the Orientalising and Archaic periods (7th and 6th centuries). Secondary supervisor.
- Spencer, L. 2006. Pottery technology and socio-economic diversity on the Early Helladic III - Middle Helladic II Greek mainland. Principal supervisor.
- Legarra, B. 2006. Mortuary behaviour and social organisation in Pre- and Protopalatial Crete. Principal supervisor.
- Fentem, R. 2007. 'Orientalia' in the Aegean: dynamics, reception and impact from the Bronze Age to the Archaic period. Joint principal supervisor.
- Shapland, A. 2009. Over the horizon: human-animal relations in the Bronze Age Aegean. Principal supervisor.
- Poole, S. 2010. Gender roles and relations in the Aegean Bronze Age interpreted from the gestures, postures and inter-relational placement depicted in the imagery of frescoes, glyptics and three-dimensional artefacts. Secondary supervisor.
- Cutler, J. 2011. Production Systems & Social Dynamics: A Cross-Media Approach to ’Minoanisation’’ in the Southern Aegean in the Second Millenium BC. Joint principal supervisor.
- Romanou, D. 2011. Co-residential group composition and the spatial design of residences: an investigation using the ethnographic and archaeological records. Principal supervisor.
- Dikomitou, M. 2012. Ceramic production, distribution and social interaction. An Analytical approach to the study of Early and Middle Bronze Age pottery from Cyprus. Principal supervisor.
- Iacono, F. 2013. Opening the Sea Gates of Europe: Interaction in the Southern Adriatic Sea during Late Bronze Age. Joint principal supervisor.
- Leith, K. 2013. Expressions of Gender in the Middle and Late Bronze Age Mortuary Data of the Aegean. Joint principal supervisor.