- BA, MA, PhD
- Professor of Aegean Archaeology
- Degree Programme Co-ordinator: MA in Archaeology
- Degree Programme Co-ordinator: MA in Research Methods for Archaeology
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL3074 The Emergence of Bronze Age Aegean States
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL3082 The Late Bronze Age Aegean in the Mediterranean World
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG193 Themes, Thought and Theory in World Archaeology: Foundations
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG195 The Aegean from first farmers to Minoan states
- Aegean archaeology
- Method and theory
- Landscape archaeology
- Complex societies
- Settlement archaeology
Research Directory Records
- 1978 BA Anthropology, Harvard College
- 1979 MA Archaeological method and theory, University of Southampton
- 1990 PhD Archaeology, University of Cambridge
- 1979 Research Assistant, University of Southampton
- 1980 Research Studentship, St. John's College, University of Cambridge
- 1984 Research Assistant, University of Cambridge
- 1984 Research Fellow, St. John's College, University of Cambridge
- 1986 Lecturer in Quantitative Analysis, Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge
- 1989 Director of Studies, Archaeology and Anthropology, St. John's College, University of Cambridge
- 1998 Reader in Archaeology, UCL
- 2007 Professor of Aegean Archaeology, UCL
- 2009 Knossos Research Fellow, British School at Athens
Over the last 25 years, I have supervised some 60 research students across a diverse range of subjects. Their dissertation titles (see below) give a good idea of the subjects I am interested in supervising in Aegean and East Mediterranean archaeology, ethnoarchaeology, site formation processes, landscape, settlement and household archaeology, ceramic analysis, and early complex societies.
I am presently engaged in fieldwork at Knossos in Crete, and am interested in supervising projects on all periods of occupation at the site from Neolithic (ca. 7,000 BC) until Late Roman (ca. 700 AD), particularly working with the extensive unpublished material from over a century of excavations.
- Cristina Ichim A Network Approach to Processes of Cultural Affiliation in the Late Bronze Age Southern Aegean. (Joint supervisor with Andrew Bevan, 2015-)
- Emilie Hayter A Game of Stones: production, consumption and the social perception of architectural stone in Minoan Crete. (Joint supervisor with Andrew Bevan, 2015-)
- Anna Moles Urbanism and its impact on human health: a long-term study at Knossos, Crete. (Joint supervisor with Simon Hillson, 2014-)
- Flora Michelaki Mortuary architecture, depositional behaviour and social change in the tholos cemeteries of south-central Crete, 3000-1700 BC. (Second supervisor Mike Parker Pearson, 2008-)
- Lefteris Zorzos Reconstructing the Bronze Age environment and land-use on Thera, a phytolith-based approach. (Joint supervision with Arlene Rosen, 2007-)
- Miguel Fuentes Inca expansion and local societies: architecture and space in the Arica highlands (1400-1530). (Principal supervisor Bill Sillar, 2015-)
- Viviana Siveroni Household organization and social integration in the Late Prehispanic Period of the Nasca region, Peru. (Principal supervisor Bill Sillar, 2015-).
- Denitsa Nenova Social and cultural dynamics in Thrace during the Late Bronze Age. (Principal supervisor Andrew Bevan 2014-).
- a'Campo, A. 1990. Anthropomorphic representations in prehistoric Cyprus. A formal and symbolic analysis of figurines c. 3500-1800 BC. (Secondary supervisor, 1989-90, Principal C. Renfrew).
- Pinsky, V. 1992. Anthropology and the new archaeology: a critical study of disciplinary change in American archaeology. (Principal supervisor, 1990-92).
- Voutsaki, S. 1993. Society and culture in the Mycenaean world. An analysis of mortuary practices of the Argolid, Thessaly and the Dodecanese. (Secondary supervisor, 1990-93, Principal C. Renfrew).
- Way, H. 1994. A study of the impact of imparkment on the social landscape of Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire from c.1080 to 1760. (Secondary supervisor, Principal C. Hills).
- Stopp, M. 1994. Early human adaptation in the northern hemisphere and the analytic implications of taphonomy. (Secondary supervisor, Principal G. Bailey).
- Lupton, A. 1995. Stability and change: socio-political development in North Mesopotamia and south-east Anatolia 4000-2700 BC. (Secondary supervisor, Principal J. Oates).
- Thoden van Velsen, D. 1995. Etruscan rites for the dead: modern myth and ancient practice. (Secondary supervisor, Principal S. van der Leeuw).
- Lake, M. 1995. Computer simulation modelling of early hominid subsistence activities. (Secondary supervisor, Principal S. Mithen).
- Morton, A. 1995. Archaeological site formation: experiments in lake margin processes. (Secondary supervisor, 1992-4, Principal C. French).
- Henshilwood, C. 1995. Holocene archaeology of the coastal Garcia State Forest, southern Cape, South Africa. (Secondary supervisor, 1991-93, Principal G. Bailey).
- Buchli, V. 1996. Narkomfin Communal House, Moscow: the material culture of accommodation and resistance (1930-1991). (Secondary supervisor, 1992-95, Principal I. Hodder).
- Boismier, W. 1996. Modelling the effects of tillage processes on artefact distributions in the ploughzone: a simulation study of tillage-induced pattern formation. (Principal supervisor, Secondary I. Hodder).
- Galanidou, P. 1996. Home is where the hearth is. Spatial variation in Upper Palaeolithic rockshelter occupations. (Secondary supervisor, 1989-97, Principal G. Bailey).
- Broodbank, C. 1996. This small world the great: an island archaeology of the early Cyclades. (Occasional advisor, Supervisors J. Cherry and H. Hurst).
- Kovacik, J. 1997. Social/contextual archaeology of Chaco Canyon, New Mexico: collective memory and material culture amongst the Chaco Anasazi. (Secondary supervisor, Principal I. Hodder).
- Knappett, C. 1997. Pottery production and organisational complexity in Protopalatial Crete. (Principal supervisor, Secondary S. van der Leeuw).
- Brusasco, P. 1998. The Old Babylonian houses at Ur: a social analysis of space. (Secondary supervisor, Principal J. Oates).
- Spikins, P. 1998. Re-thinking the Mesolithic of northern England: a re-evaluation of changes in environment, population and settlement. (Principal supervisor).
- Toula Marketou The Early Bronze Age in the Dodecanese. (Secondary supervisor, 1994-1997, Principal C. Renfrew).
- Jamie Merrick Physico-chemical characteristics of survey sites in Laconia. (Secondary supervisor 1995-1997, Principal C. French).
- Andreas Kapetanios Ethnoarchaeology of pastoralism: Epirus, Sfakia and Ikaria. (Principal supervisor 1995-1997, Secondary P. Miracle).
- Souvatzi, S. 2000. The Neolithic household in Greece. (Secondary supervisor, 1993-97, Principal I. Hodder).
- Berg, I. 2000. The Minoanisation of the southern Aegean: a comparative approach through ceramic assemblages. (Principal supervisor, Secondary S. Voutsaki).
- Walika-Zeh, R. 2000. Building practice and cultural space amongst the Bambara, Senufo and Bozo of Mali: an ethnoarchaeological study. (Joint principal supervisor with K. Macdonald).
- Bevan, A. 2001. Value regimes in the eastern Mediterranean Bronze Age: an analysis through stone vessels. (Secondary supervisor, Principal C. Broodbank).
- Preston, L. 2001. A mortuary approach to cultural identities and political dynamics on Late Minoan II-IIIB Crete. (Secondary supervisor, Principal C. Broodbank).
- Lindenlauf, A. 2001. Waste management practices in ancient Greece from the Homeric to the Classical period. (Tertiary supervisor, Primary and Secondary J. Tanner and C. Tilley).
- Durrani, N. 2001. The Tihamah coastal plain of South West Arabia in its regional context (c. 6000 BC- AD 600). (Principal supervisor, 1999-2001).
- Kotjabopoulou, E. 2002. Patterned fragments and fragments of patterns: Upper Palaeolithic rockshelter faunas from Epirus Northwestern Greece. (Secondary supervisor, 1989-97, Principal G. Bailey).
- Hatzimichael, C. 2002. Devices, contexts, systems: administration and states in Bronze Age Crete (2000-1450 B.C.). (Principal supervisor).
- Harding, R. 2003. Rajgir and its hinterland. (Secondary supervisor, 1996-97, Principal D. Chakrabati).
- L. Reeves 2003. Aegean and Anatolian Bronze Age metal vessels: a social perspective. (Secondary supervisor 1998-99, Principal C. Broodbank).
- Cutting, M. 2004. The Neolithic and early Chalcolithic farmers of central and southwest Anatolia: household, community and the changing use of space. (Secondary supervisor, Principal J. Conolly).
- Mina, M. 2005 Anthropomorphic figurines from the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age Aegean : gender dynamics and implications for the understanding of Aegean prehistory. (Secondary supervisor, 1998-99, Principal R. Whitehouse).
- Roth-Murray, C. 2005. The construction of power. An investigation into the nature and representation of authority in Etruria during the Orientalising and Archaic periods (7th and 6th centuries). (Secondary supervisor, Principal R. Whitehouse).
- Yalman, N. 2005. Ethno-archaeological analysis of three villages in central Anatolia for interpretation of prehistoric sites. Istanbul University (Secondary supervisor 2000-05).
- Myrto Georgakopoulou 2005. Technology and organisation of Early Cycladic metallurgy : copper on Seriphos and Keros, Greece. (Advice, Supervisors C. Broodbank and T. Rehren).
- Spencer, L. 2006. Pottery technology and socio-economic diversity on the Early Helladic III - Middle Helladic II Greek mainland. (Principal supervisor, Secondary B. Sillar).
- Legarra Herrero, B. 2006. Mortuary behaviour and social organisation in Pre- and Protopalatial Crete. (Principal supervisor, Secondary S. Shennan).
- Fentem, R. 2007. 'Orientalia' in the Aegean: dynamics, reception and impact from the Bronze Age to the Archaic period. (Joint principal supervisor with J. Tanner).
- Shapland, A. 2009. Over the horizon: human-animal relations in the Bronze Age Aegean. (Principal supervisor, Secondaries L. Martin and J. Tanner).
- Poole, S. 2010. Gender roles and relations in the Aegean Bronze Age interpreted from the gestures, postures and inter-relational placement depicted in the imagery of frescoes, glyptics and three-dimensional artefacts. (Tertiary supervisor, Primary and Secondary C. Broodbank and J. Tanner).
- Cutler, J. 2011. Crafting Minoanisation: textiles, crafts production and social dynamics in the Bronze Age Southern Aegean (Principal supervisor, Secondary C. Broodbank)
- Romanou, D. 2011. Co-residential group composition and the spatial design of residences: an investigation using the ethnographic and archaeological records. (Principal supervisor, Secondaries J. Conolly, A. Bevan)
- Dikomitou, M. 2012. Ceramic production, distribution and social interaction. An Analytical approach to the study of Early and Middle Bronze Age pottery from Cyprus. (Principal supervisor, Secondary M. Martinon-Torres).
- Evdoxiadi, L. Iron Age houses and households in the southern Levant. (Principal supervisor, 2007-12, Secondary A. Bevan).
- Iacono, F. 2013. Opening the Sea Gates of Europe: Interaction in the Southern Adriatic Sea during Late Bronze Age (Joint supervision with C. Broodbank, secondary C. Riva).
- Bushnell, L. 2013. The socio-economic implications of the distribution of juglets in the eastern Mediterranean during the Middle and Late Bronze Ages (Secondary supervisor, Principal A. Bevan)
- Leith, K. 2013. The materiality of gender in Middle and Late Helladic mortuary behaviour in the Aegean (Joint supervision with C. Broodbank, 2007-11.)
- Nazou, M. 2014. Defining the regional characteristics of final Neolithic and Early Bronze Age pottery in Attica. (Joint principal supervision with C. Broodbank, Secondary A. Bevan)
- Anna Panagiotou 2015. A comparative analysis of the decorated pottery of the second millennium BC Eastern Mediterranean. (Tertiary advisor, Supervisors C. Broodbank and D. Wengrow).
- Milic, M. 2015. Network dynamics of late Neolithic communities in the western Anatolia, the Balkans and the Mediterranean: a social and spatial approach through analysis of obsidian exchange. (Secondary supervisor 2014-15, Principal A. Bevan).
- Mulhall, A. 2015. Connectivity and economy in Bronze to Iron Age Greece: a zooarchaeological perspective from the trading node of Lefkandi. (Secondary supervisor, 2014-2015, Principal L. Martin).