- BA, PhD, F.S.A., M.I.F.A.
- Director, Centre for Applied Archaeology & Archaeology South-East
- Principal Research Fellow, Institute of Archaeology
- Degree Programme Co-ordinator (with Tim Williams): MA in Urban Archaeology
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL3047 Archaeological law & project management
- Course Co-ordinator (with Tim Williams): ARCLG219 The Archaeology of Complex Urban Sites: analytical and interpretative strategies
- Course Co-ordinator (with Tim Williams): ARCLG222 Themes in Urban Archaelogy
- The origins and nature of urban society
- Roman town planning and domestic architecture (the social meanings of urban and domestic space)
- Architecture, art & ideology in late antiquity (including Neo-Platonic and Gnostic dualism, Eucharistic practice)
- Archaeology of the Roman provinces (especially Britain & Syria)
- Cultural Resource Management in UK and Middle-East
- Archaeological method and theory
- Archaeological Project-Management
- Planning consultancy
- Excavation and analysis of complex archaeological sites
- 1998-2004 - Lecturer in Archaeology, University of York
- 1999-2000 - Visiting Professor, American University of Beirut
- 1995-1998 - Executive Director, AOC Archaeology Ltd.
- 1990-1995 - Head of Greater London Archaeology Advisory Service, English Heritage
- 1989-1990 - Archaeological Officer, Worcester City Council
- 1985-1989 - Research Scholar, University of Leicester
- 1982-1985 - Director of Excavations, Cooperativa Archeologica Lombarda (Milan)
- 1978-1982 - Senior Archaeologist, Museum of London
- 1976-1978 - Site Supervisor, Lincoln Archaeological Trust
- 1999 – PhD, School of Archaeology and Ancient History, University of Leicester.
- 1976 - BA Archaeology, Institute of Archaeology, University College London.
Membership of Learned Societies and Professional Recognition
- Member, Institute of Field Archaeologists
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries
- Associate Editor, Berytus
- Member, Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies
- Beirut, Lebanon: Souks excavations Director of international programme of archaeological salvage attendant on post-war reconstruction.
- Urban Hinterlands Project Lead consultant in a national strategic survey. Undertaken in partnership with Universities of York, Leicester and London, Essex County Council & others.
Research Publications - new version
- Ken Marks Archaeology of Anglo-Jewry 1656-1880 (principal supervisor Andrew Reynolds)
- Andy Agate Suburban development in Later Anglo-Saxon and Norman England (principal supervisor Andrew Reynolds)
- Iain Shearer An investigation of cultural heritage and ethnicity at three Ghurid Central Asian Sites - Jam/Firuzkoh, Nishapur and Merv (principal supervisor Beverley Butler)
- Peter Coe Has there been a loss of archaeological heritage in Lyme Regis, Howden and Rye, since 1980? If so what might have prevented any loss and / or how might it have been adequately and appropriately recorded? (principal supervisor Joe Flatman)