- MA, D.Phil., FSA
- Emeritus Reader in Classical Archaeology
- Chairman of the Publications committee of the British School at Athens.
- Co-organiser of Classical Archaeology seminars at the Institute of Archaeology.
- Greek pottery and epigraphy. Greek archaeology of the Archaic period.
- The Kythera Island Project
- Collaborations with the BSA Fitch Laboratory
- Working on Iron Age pottery from the excavations of the University of Toronto at Kommos, South Crete
- Working with the Archaeological Museum Split on inscribed material from sailors' sanctuaries in the Adriatic
- Studying Iron Age pottery from the Pediada survey, Central Crete, in collaboration with the University of the Aegean
- 1950-1961 Bristol Grammar school
- 1961-1969 Merton College, Oxford
- 1961-1965 Postmaster in Classics
- 1965-1967 Diploma in Classical Archaeology
- 1967-1969 Postgraduate research, conducted in 1967-1968 at the British School at Athens.
- 1971 D.Phil. degree awarded for a thesis on Trademarks on Greek Vases
- 1969-1972 Assistant, then assistant lecturer in Classics, University College, Dublin.
- 1972- Lecturer, Dept. Classical Archaeology (from 1992, of Greek Archaeology) University College, London