Institute of Archaeology
Brian Williams has recently partially retired from a long career in government archaeology in Northern Ireland. He was involved in many aspects of archaeology including excavation and survey. He helped to establish the Centre for Maritime Archaeology at the University of Ulster and the Centre for Archaeological Fieldwork at The Queen’s University Belfast. Until 2011 he was an Assistant Director in the Northern Ireland Environment Agency. He now works part-time as a principal Policy Advisor in NIEA’s Innovations and Strategies Directorate with a particular emphasis on developing the heritage economy.
- Maritime archaeology
- Heritage and the economy
- An Archaeological Survey of County Fermanagh 2014 HMSO (forthcoming).
- Archaeological Objects from County Fermanagh, 2002, Blackstaff, Belfast. With S. Gormley.
- Rathlin Island An Archaeological Survey of the Maritime Cultural Landscape, 2012, HMSO, Belfast.
- Maritime archaeology in Northern Ireland in International Handbook of Underwater Archaeology (eds Ruppe, C. and Barstad, J), 417-30, New York 2002 .
- Strangford Lough An archaeological Survey of the maritime cultural landscape, 2002, Blackstaff, Belfast. With T. McErlean, R. McConkey, W. Forsythe and R. Quinn.
- Underwater Archaeology in Ireland (B Williams editor) of SHA Monograph, New York, 2003.