Institute of Archaeology
- News and Events
- Study Here
- Academic and Research
- Professional Support
- Centre for Applied Archaeology
- Adrian Arroyo
- Justine Bayley
- Sarah Brown
- Andrew Burnett
- Paul Burtenshaw
- Anna Clement
- James Doeser
- Stuart Eve
- John Giblin
- Margarita Gleba
- Peter Gould
- Cecilie Gravesen
- Mozahim Hussein
- Jackie Keily
- Gianluca Miniaci
- Courtney Nimura
- Juanita Saenz Samper
- Caroline Sandes
- Christopher Scull
- Bradley Sekedat
- Anne Teather
- Lucy Trench
- Eliott Wragg
- Barbara Yorke
- Jesús Fernández Fernández
- Anne Best
- Dieter Brems
- Gassia Artin
- Cary Martin
- Research students
- Affiliate academics
Crispin Paine is now a writer, editor and occasional lecturer. He is currently working on a book on religion in theme-parks worldwide: the intersection of modernity, heritage and religion.
For twenty years Crispin was a museums and heritage consultant, which included offering museum training courses in India, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Latvia and elsewhere. He ran the Museums Studies MA courses for a year at the Institute and also Southampton University. Before that he was a social history curator.
Crispin is a founder-editor of Material Religion: the Journal of Objects, Art and Belief, a volunteer at the Novium Museum, Chichester, a Fellow of the Museums Association, an FSA, and a beekeeper. As a schoolboy Sam Frere showed him round the Institute of Archaeology in its original St John’s Lodge building; he's proud of his continuing association with the Institute of today.
- Edited with Gretchen Buggeln and Brent Plate. Religion in Museums: Global and Multidisciplinary Perspectives. London: Bloomsbury, in press.
- A South Devon Carpenter In Victorian London: the Diary Of Charles Cleverly Paine, September 1862 - June 1863. Liss: Meskel Press, 2014.
- Edited with Martin Henig. Preserving and Presenting the Past in Oxfordshire and Beyond: Essays in Memory of John Rhodes. Oxford: British Archaeological Reports, 2013.
- Religious Objects in Museums: Private Lives and Public Duties. London: Bloomsbury, 2013
- With Tim Ambrose. Museum Basics. London: Routledge, 3rd edition 2012 (Fourth edition in progress. First edition also published in Chinese, Icelandic, Korean, Portuguese, Latvian and Japanese). And see the accompanying website.
- Material Religion: the Journal of Objects, Art and Belief 8:1, March 2012. Special Issue on Museums and Religion.
- Sacred Places: Spirit and Landscape. London: National Trust Enterprises, 2004.
- Edited. Godly Things: Museums, Objects & Religion. London: Leicester University Press, 2000.
- Edited. Standards in the Museum Care of Costume and Textile Collections. London: Museums & Galleries Commission, 1998.
- Edited. Standards in the Museum Care of Photographic Collections. London: Museums & Galleries Commission, 1996.
- Edited. Standards in the Museum Care of Musical Instruments. London: Museums & Galleries Commission,1995.
Edited. Standards in the Museum Care of Larger & Working Objects. London: Museums & Galleries Commission, 1994.
Edited. Standards in the Museum Care of Geological Collections. London: Museums & Galleries Commission, 1994.
Edited with David Fleming and John Rhodes. Social History in Museums: a Handbook for Professionals. London: HMSO, 1993.
Edited. Standards in the Museum Care of Biological Collections. London: Museums & Galleries Commission, 1992.
Edited. Standards in the Museum Care of Archaeological Collections. London: Museums & Galleries Commission, 1992.
- The Local Museum: Notes for Amateur Curators. Milton Keynes: Area Museums Service for South Eastern England, 2nd edition 1986.
- 'Sacred Places’ in Diane Apostolos-Cappadona, Macmillan Interdisciplinary Handbooks: religion. New York: Macmillan, forthcoming.
- ‘Collection’ in Brent Plate, Key Terms in Material Religion. London: Bloomsbury, 2015.
- 'The Portable Altar in Christian Tradition and Practice' in Hallie Meredith (ed.), Objects in Motion: the Circulation of Religion and Sacred Objects in the Late Antique and Early Medieval World. London: British Archaeological Reports, 2011.
- Militant Atheist Objects: Anti-Religion Museums in the Soviet Union. Present Pasts 1, feb. 2010. Available at: http://presentpasts.info/index.php/pp/article/view/10/18.
- ‘Museums and religion: a quick overview’ In Beier-de Haan, Rosmarie and Jungblat, Marie-Paule, Museums and Faith. Luxembourg: Musée d’Histoire de la Ville de Luxembourg, 2009.
- With Stuart Davies. Talking About Museums: the Insider's Voice. Oral History, Autumn 2004, vol 32 no 2.
- 'Museums and Religion'. In The Encyclopedia of Religion, Second Edition. Farmington Hills: Macmillan Reference USA, 2004.
- 'Sikh pilgrimage: a study in ambiguity', International Journal of Punjab Studies 10.1-2, Jan-Dec 2003.
- 'A Source Bibliography for the Archaeology of Worcester City before 1600'. Transactions of the Worcestershire Archaeological Society, 3S vol. 7, 1980.
- Working-class Housing in Oxfordshire. Oxoniensia XLIII, 188-215, 1978. Available at http://www.oahs.org.uk/oxo/volumes/1978/paine.pdf.