Institute of Archaeology
- News and Events
Came to UCL in 2005 to study for a Masters in Public Archaeology and in 2012 completed her PhD at UCL. Her thesis - ‘Cornish Mining Heritage: Public Perceptions of Industrial Archaeology in a Post-Industrial Society’ - examined public perceptions of Cornish mining landscapes with a focus on changing public values and policy towards cultural heritage during the post-war period.
2012-13 managed a post-doctoral project to examine the challenges which commercial archaeologists face incorporating public engagement within projects (funded by UCL Advances / hosted by UCL Centre for Applied Archaeology [CAA]). Conducted national online survey of activities and attitudes within the industry.
Currently editing a cross-disciplinary collection of papers on the theme of ‘Reanimating Industrial Spaces’ (based on the conference proceedings of TAG 2009 and EAA 2010) to be published through the Institute of Archaeology/Left Coast Press. Employed as a Senior Archaeologist at CAA. Research Associate on a collaborative project between UCL Institute of Archaeology and Red Earth Arts. The APERTURE project seeks to scope out the potential of cross-disciplinary collaborations and the development of public-facing cultural events linked to a number of current landscape based research projects at UCL.
- Contemporary archaeology
- Industrial archaeology
- Post-medieval archaeology
- Historical archaeology
- Public archaeology
- Archaeology and education
- Heritage studies
- Archaeological method and theory
- Memory studies
- Cornish studies
- Orange, H (forthcoming) Public Engagement at Archaeology South-East, in ARCHAEOLOGY INTERNATIONAL, 15.
- Orange, H (ed.) (forthcoming) REANIMATING INDUSTRIAL SPACES. Oakland, CA: Left Coast Press.
- May, S., Orange, H. and Penrose, S. (eds), (2012). HANDLING THE HERITAGE OF THE RECENT PAST: PROCEEDINGS OF THE HERITAGE CHAT CONFERENCE. Archaeopress.
- Orange, H. (2011) Mind the Gap: Archaeology and Adult Education, in Moshenska, G. and Dhanjal, S. (eds.) COMMUNITY ARCHAEOLOGY: THEMES, METHODS AND PRACTICES. Oxford: Oxbow, 100-109.
- Orange, H. and Peters, C. (2011) The ‘Expert’ Amateur, Professionalism and Public Engagement: The Changing Face of Archaeology Education, in Cornwall from 1986 to 2011, in CORNISH ARCHAEOLOGY, 50, 127-32.
- Orange, H. (2011) ‘The End of a Moving Staircase’: Industrial Archaeology of the Past, Present and Future, in CORNISH ARCHAEOLOGY, 50, 137-9.
- Orange, H. (2010) Exploring Sense of Place: An Ethnography of the Cornish Mining World Heritage Site, in J. Schofield and R. Szymanski (eds) SENSING PLACE: LOCAL HERITAGE IN A GLOBAL CONTEXT. Ashgate Publishing, 99-118.
- Orange, H. (2008) Industrial Archaeology: Its place within the Academic Discipline, the Public Realm and the Heritage Industry, in Gwyn, D. (ed.) INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY REVIEW. 30 (2), 83-95.