Institute of Archaeology
2013: PhD (UCL Institute of Archaeology)
Thesis title:“The Archaeology of Social Organisation at Tongo Maaré Diabal”
2008: MA Archaeology (UCL Institute of Archaeology)
Thesis title: “Pottery in time and space at Tongo Maaré Diabal"
2007: BA(Hons) Archaeology (Durham University)
Thesis title: “An Aurignacian Stone Tool Assemblage from Wintersdorf 'Auf Assem' and its place in the Early Upper Palaeolithic of Germany"
- Complex societies in pre-colonial West Africa
- Urbanism and peripheries in West Africa
- Craft specialisation
- Ceramic analysis
- Earthen architecture
- Use of space in complex societies
- Gestrich, N., Humphris, J., and MacDonald, K. (in press): Iron Production in the Periphery: its role in first millennium AD Middle Niger urbanisation. In: D. Park and L. Lippiello (eds.), Urbanization in Ancient Africa. Yale University Publications in Anthropology
- Gestrich, N (2011): Putting a Price on the Past: The Ethics and Economics of Archaeology in the Marketplace - a reply to “What is Public Archaeology?”. Present Pasts 3, 2; 80-82
- MacDonald, K., Camara, S., Canos Donnay, S., Gestrich, N., and Keita, D. (2011): Sorotomo: A forgotten Malian capital? Archaeology International 13; 52-64