- MA, PhD
- Reader in Cultural Heritage
- Degree Programme Co-ordinator: MA in Cultural Heritage Studies
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG175 Cultural Memory
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG234 Critical Perspectives on Cultural Heritage
- the theorisation and re-conceptualisation of cultural heritage studies
- museum historiography and critical museological theory
- the application of intellectual history, philosophy, psychoanalysis, literary theory, postcolonial theory, deconstruction and memory-studies to cultural heritage/ museum studies
- the application of ethnographic methods and anthropological theory to cultural heritage / museum studies
- themes of cultural loss and revivalism; critical studies of the archive; postcolonial politics of memory-work; cosmopolitanism and ethnicity; maritime heritage; cultural / human rights and marginalised histories
- heritage and wellbeing
- specialist focus upon North Africa and Eastern Mediterranean and upon Alexandrian / Egyptian and Palestinian cultural heritage and cultural politics.
Research Directory Records
- Archaeology - Heritage - Art
- Building Solomon's Temple
- Collections in Exile, Persons in Exile
- Heritage of Historic Cities and Multiculturalism
- Keys of the Past: Keys to the Future
- Understanding Heritage Wellbeing
Organisations, Publications, Other Projects
- Series editor of the ‘Critical Heritages’ publications with Left Coast Press/UCL.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Museum History [2005-to date]
- Editorial Board, Journal of Museum Management [2007-to date]
- External Assessor, Cultural Heritage Learning and Research, Open University, UK [2007-to date]
- Lecturer, Cultural Memory Studies, IGRS, London University [2003-to date]
- Steering Group, Centre for Museums, Heritage and Material Culture, UCL.
- Specialist Advisory Committee, AHRC, Community Archives and Identities [2007-to date]
- UNESCO, Observer Status, Memory of the World Programme – see http://www.org/webworld/memory [Sept 2002-to date]
- UNESCO-Ramallah, Consultancy/Publication with Sally MacDonald (Director of UCL Museums and Collections), Keys to the Past, Keys to the Future: Developing a National Policy for Museums in Palestine [2007- 2008].
- Project management board, Community Archives and Identity, at SLAIS, UCL, funded by the (AHRC) for 20 months (2008-2009) see http://www.ucl.ac.uk/slais/research/icarus/community-archives/ - Developing ‘Heritage and Wellbeing’ research group UCL.
- Developing ‘Collections in Exile, Persons in Exile’ research project.
- Nicole Deufel Delivering public benefit through heritage management and interpretation in England and Germany (second supervisor Rodney Harrison)
- Iain Shearer An investigation of cultural heritage and ethnicity at three Ghurid Central Asian Sites - Jam/Firuzkoh, Nishapur and Merv (second supervisor Dominic Perring)
Recently submitted students
- Paul Harrison Profane Egyptologists: Linegae, Lecay, and Cultural Incorporation (second supervisor Stephen Quirke)
- Jane Sarre Communities of memory: An analysis of the influence of participation and trust on the visual culture of diversity in city history galleries (second supervisor Sally MacDonald)
- Johanna Zetterstrom Sharp Cultural heritage, digital curatorship, and civil society strengthening in post-conflict Sierra Leone’ (principal supervisor Paul Basu)