- BA, MS, PhD
- Lecturer in Near Eastern Archaeology
- Associate Editor: Social Science Computer Review, Iraq (editorial board)
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL1009 Introduction to Egyptian and Near Eastern Archaeology
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL2034 Archaeology of the Middle East 2000-300BC
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCL3051 The Archaeology of Mesopotamia
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG091 Geographic Information Systems in Archaeology II
- Course Co-ordinator: ARCLG270 Near Eastern Material Cultures II: Middle Bronze Age through the Iron Age
- Agent-based modelling
- GIS and land use
- Complex adaptive systems
- Computational Social Science
- Mesopotamian history and archaeology
Research Directory Records
- Documentation of Iraqi Archaeological Sites
- Restructuring the social and social-ecological sciences in the 21st century
- Salinisation in Mesopotamia
- Shahrizor Research Project
- SHULGI: A Geospatial Tool for Modelling Human Movement and Interaction
- Social Perceptions, Water Use and Climate Change
Research Projects and Fieldwork
- 2011: Archaeological project conducted in Kurdistan, Iraq (near Sulaymaniyah). Work focuses on studying anthropogenic landscape change in the past using soil analysis, remote sensing, and archaeological survey. Work conducted with the University of Heidelberg.
- 2008-2010: Co-PI on archaeological documentation projected sponsored by the United States State Department with data collected focusing on ancient Mesopotamian sites in southern and northern Iraq. Work included training Iraqis on the use of archaeological survey methods and GPS. Project was conducted near Istanbul, Turkey and Amman, Jordan.
- 2006-2008: Co-PI on archaeological documentation projected sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities with data collected focusing on ancient Mesopotamian sites in southern and northern Iraq. Work included training Iraqis on the use of archaeological survey methods and GPS on archaeological sites in Jordan. Project work was conducted in Homs, Syria and Amman, Jordan.
- 2004-5: PI on archaeological data collection project for sites in northern Mesopotamia with data focused on surveys and excavations conducted in the 1980s and 1990s. Project included training Iraqis on the useof GPS and other survey techniques on sites in Jordan. Project conducted in and near Amman, Jordan.
- 2003: Archaeological site damage assessment survey in Iraq sponsored by National Geographic Society (see October 2003 issue of National Geographic). Conducted near Baghdad, Mosul, and Samarra, Iraq.
- PhD (University of Chicago, 2004)
- MS (University of Chicago, 2000)
- BA (University of Illinois, 1997)
- Altaweel, M. 2008. The Imperial Landscape of Ashur: Settlement and Land Use in the Assyrian Heartland. Heidelberg Orientverlag.
- Altaweel, M. and Paullet, T. In Press. Modeling nomad-settlement interactions: Investigating economic exchange using computer simulation. In S. Hauser ed., The Visibility of Nomads and Seasonal Occupation: Multi-Disciplinary Approaches to a Methodological Problem, Pp. 125-155.
- Altaweel, M. In press. Modeling anthropogenic land use: Understanding social-ecological change in Mesopotamia. In P. Miglus ed., Landscape and Settlement in the Makhmur Region. Heidelberg, Germany: Heidelberg Orientverlag.
- Hamza, H. and Altaweel, M. In Press. Report on Tell al-Imsihly: The 2000 and 2001 seasons. In P. Miglus ed., Landscape and Settlement in the Makhmur Region. Heidelberg, Germany: Heidelberg Orientverlag.
- Wilkinson, T., Christiansen J., Widell, M., Altaweel, M., Hritz, C., Ur., J., et al. 2007. Modeling settlement systems in a dynamic environment: Case studies from Mesopotamia. In T. Kholer and S. Van der Leeuw (eds), The Model-Based Archaeology of Socio-Natural Systems, Pp. 175-208. Santa Fe, NM: School of Advanced Research (SAR) Press.
- Altaweel, M., Sallach, D., Macal, C. (In review). Mobilizing for change: Modeling the successes and failures of political movements in Central Asia. Journal of Conflict Resolution.
- Altaweel, M., Christianson, D. (In review). Framing the health care debate: Measuring media tone and public opinion. American Journal of Political Science.
- Bone, C., Altaweel, M., Alessa, A., Kliskey, A., Lammers, R. 2011. Assessing the impacts of local knowledge and technology on climate change vulnerability in remote communities. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 8(3):733-761.
- Altaweel, M., Alessa, L., Kliskey, A. 2010. Alaskas freshwater resources: Issues affecting local and international interests. Journal of the American Water Research Association. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2010.00498.x.
- Altaweel, M., Wu, Y.2010. Human pedestrian traffic and route selection: An integrated modeling approach to understanding social space in urban environments. Structure and Dynamics 4(2).
- Altaweel, M., Alessa, L., Kliskey, A., Bone, C. 2010. Monitoring land use: Capturing change through an information fusion approach. Sustainability 2(5):1182-1203.
- Altaweel, M., Alessa, L., Kliskey, A. 2010. Visualization situational data: Applying information fusion for detecting social-ecological events. Social Science Computer Review. 28: 497-514.
- Altaweel, M.. , Alessa, L., Kliskey, A., Bonce, C. 2010. A framework to structure agent-based modeling data for social-ecological systems. Structure and Dynamics (4)1.
- Altaweel, M., Alessa, L., Kliskey, A. 2010. Social influence and decision making: Evaluating agent networks in village responses to change in freshwater. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation (JASSS) 13(1).
- Bone, C., Alessa, L., Kliskey, A., Altaweel, M. 2010. The influence of statistical methods and reference dates on describing temperature change in Alaska. Journal of Geophysical Research. doi:10.1029/2010JD014289.
- Hamza, H.A. Thaher, A.K., Kadhum, S.J. Hashem, M., Taha, H.M. Altaweel, M., Studevent-Hickman, B. 2010. Tell Abu Sheeja/Ancient Pasime. Report on the First Season of Excavations, 2007. Akkadica 131(1):47-104.
- Alessa, L., Kliskey, A., and Altaweel, M. 2009. Toward a typology of messy social-ecological systems. Sustainability: Science, Practice, and Policy 5(1).
- Altaweel, M., Alessa, L., Kliskey, A. 2009. Forecasting resilience in Arctic societies: Creating tools for assessing social-hydrological systems. Journal of the American Water Research Association (JAWRA) 45(6):1379-1389
- Hussein, S.Y., Altaweel, M., Rejeb, Z. 2009. Report on Excavations at Tell al-Wilaya, Iraq. Further information on the 1999 and 2000 seasons. Akkadica 130 (2):113-166.
- Hussein, S.Y., Altaweel, M., Rejeb, Z. 2009. Report on Excavations at Tell al-Wilaya, Iraq. Further information on the 1999 and 2000 seasons. Akkadica 130 (1):3-43.
- Altaweel, M. 2008. Investigating agricultural sustainability and strategy in Northern Mesopotamia: Results produced using a socio-ecological modeling approach. Journal of Archaeological Science 35(4): 821-835.
- Altaweel, M. 2007. Excavation in Iraq: The Jazirah Salvage Project, second report. Iraq 69:117-144.
- Wilkinson, T., Christiansen, J., Ur, J., Widell, M., Altaweel, M. 2007. Urbanization within a dynamic environment: Modeling Bronze Age communities in Upper Mesopotamia. American Anthropologist 109 (1):52-68.