Sam Moorhead read Ancient History and Classical Archaeology at the University of North Carolina before teaching Classics and Archaeology at Ardingly College. In 1997 he arrived at the British Museum, holding the posts of Staff Lecturer in Archaeology and then Head/Curator of Interpretation. Since 2006 he has been the National Finds Adviser for Iron Age and Roman coins for the Portable Antiquities Scheme (based in the Department of Coins and Medals) which is run from the British Museum.
He has excavated widely in the Mediterranean, has written and co-written books on Roman history and numismatics, and has served as an officer for several learned societies (The Roman Society; The Palestine Exploration Fund; The Royal Numismatic Society).
- Roman Archaeology, History and Numismatics
- Late Antiquity
- Near Eastern Archaeology, History and Numismatics
He has lectured on a number of courses - Public Archaeology, Artefact Studies and Numismatics. He has co-supervised two PhD students at the Institute and has also taken Museum Studies interns on placement at the British Museum.
Selected recent publications
- 'A survey of Roman coin finds from Hertfordshire' [with Appendices I and II], in K. Lockyear (eds.), Archaeology in Hertfordshire - Recent Research (Hertfordshire Publications, 2015), pp. 135-164 & 335-350
- With P. Walton, P'Coinage at the end of Roman Britain' in F. K. Haarer, R. Collins, K. Fitzpatrick-Matthews, S. Moorhead, D. Petts and P. Walton (eds.) AD 410: The History and Archaeology of Late and Post-Roman Britain (Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies, 2014), 99-116
- A History of Coinage in Roman Britain (Greenlight, 2013)
- With David Stuttard, 31 BC - Antony, Cleopatra and the Fall of Egypt (British Museum Press, 2012)
- With David Stuttard, The Romans who shaped Britain (Thames and Hudson, 2012)
- 'The Coinage of The Later Roman Empire', in W. E. Metcalf (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Greek and Roman Coinage (Oxford University Press), pp. 601-32
- Sam Moorhead, Anna Booth and Roger Bland, The Frome Hoard (British Museum Press, 2010)
- With David Stuttard, AD 410 - The Year that Shook Rome (British Museum Press, 2010)
- 'The Genesis, Pursuit and Publication of the Wilderness of Zin Survey', a new introduction to C. L. Woolley and T. E. Lawrence, The Wilderness of Zin (Palestine Exploration Fund and Stacey International), pp. xv-xlvii (Also general editor for this new edition with additional archival material)