|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1872 Barnwell, E. L.|
|History:||Macalister/1945, 353, records that the stone was first published by E. L. Barnwell in 1872, and that it was `lying in a field between the church and the road which passes it, and just outside the boundary of the church'.|
|Dimensions:||0.76 x 0.61 x 0.2 (converted from Macalister/1945)|
Macalister/1945, 353: `lying in a field between the churchyard and the road which passes it, and just outside the boundary of the churchyard'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 190: `In field to NE of church'.
Macalister/1945, 353: `A block of stone...An oval hollow on the uppper surface gives it an appearance resembling the seat of a wooden chair'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 190: `Rough stone block'.
|Condition:||incomplete , some|
|Folklore:||Macalister/1945, 354: `the stone is locally called ``the chair of St. Canna'' (the patron saint of the parish).|
|Decorations:||no other decoration|
|Macalister, R.A.S. (1945):||CANV|
Macalister/1945 354--355 reading only
|Nash-Williams, V.E. (1950):||CANV|
Nash-Williams/1950 190 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; other ; n/a ; undecorated|
Macalister/1945, 354: `As though to confirm the traditional name, the letters...are cut on the margin of the back of the seat-hollow'.
Nash-Williams/1950, 190: `Inscription (Fig. 208) in one line reading horizontally (?)'.
|Date:|| - (Nash-Williams/1950)|
Nash-Williams/1950, 190: `? early christian'.
|Palaeography:||Macalister/1945, 354: `there is no reason to throw doubt on its authenticity'.|
Nash-Williams/1950, 190: `Roman capitals, with Y-shaped v.'
Macalister/1945, 354: `The letters are much worn, and the inscription is enigmatical'.