|Name:||Langombrac'h (Langombrach)||CISP No:||LDAUL|
|Place:||Langombrac'h (Langombrach)||Grid Ref:||191.2 2318.9 (FR)|
|County:||Morbihan (Mor-Bihan) , France||Saint(s):||Maurille and Mamert|
Davies et al/2000, 210--11, `Langombrac'h is a nucleated village on an elevated knoll, 30m above sea level, above the watery flats of the south Morbihan coast; the bedrock is metamorphic and is close to the granite. Although about 12km from the coast, the village is only just over a kilometer from the major inlet of the Etel River. Surrounding land-use is largely pasture. Other early medieval inscribed stones survive in the neighbourhood (see LGUID/1, LCOAL/1, LPLEC/1].
At the time of the cadastral survey of 1840 Langombrac'h was a large village, surrounded by mixed farmland, with a road pattern similar to that of the late 20th century (ADM 3P415 Landaul section B2). However, there was an enclosure surrounding the chapel on the south and west and this continued across the road to the south; these two areas were both called 'mané-chapelle' and their land-use classified as pasture. The east-west road was itself much narrower than the present road, which has clearly been considerably widened in the interim.
The inscribed stone is not marked on the cadastral plan, but if it was in its current position in 1840 it would have stood within the northern of the two chapel enclosures, and may have had no reason to be marked. We know that it was in its current position in the 1850s and on present evidence there is no reason to suggest that it was shifted in the preceding 20 years. Given that there was a cemetery attached to the chapel until the Revolution, it is likely that these 1840 enclosures called `mané-chapelle' reflect the extent of that cemetery. The inscribed stone may therefore have stood within the cemetery until the late 18th century, and could indeed have marked a burial. The stone has clearly not been re-oriented since Keranflec'h saw it in the 1850s, even if it has been set lower in the ground'.