World Heritage for Tomorrow
Publication date: Oct 14, 2012 11:12 PM
Dec 01, 2012 09:30 AM
End: Dec 01, 2012 05:00 PM
Location: UCL Gustave Tuck Lecture Theatre
An international conference in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the World Heritage Convention will be held at UCL on 1 December.
This one day conference organised by ICOMOS-UK in collaboration with the Open University, UCL Centre for Museums, Heritage and Material Culture Studies and the Institute of Archaeology will mark the 40th anniversary of the World Heritage Convention by looking to the future of World Heritage in the UK and beyond.
The conference will bring together government representatives, policy makers, academics, heritage site managers and interested members of the public to discuss the role of World Heritage in the UK in the coming decades in relation to the following series of questions:
- What is the relationship between the Outstanding Universal Value of World Heritage and the range of other values which such places hold for local stakeholders and the nation more broadly?
- What are the economic, social and environmental benefits of World Heritage? How can heritage be more productively linked with other issues of social, economic and environmental concern?
- What are our aspirations for engaging people and communities with the conservation of World Heritage Sites? What mechanisms might encourage increased collaboration of communities with experts and policy makers?
The keynote address will be given by Baroness Andrews, English Heritage while speakers include: Professor Christina Cameron, University of Montreal; Marie-Noël Tournoux, UNESCO World Heritage Centre; James Rebanks, Rebanks Consulting Ltd; Adam Wilkinson, Edinburgh World Heritage; Feng Jing, UNESCO World Heritage Centre; Kate Roberts, Cadw; Susan Denyer, ICOMOS-UK; Rodney Harrison, UCL; Susie West, The Open University; and David Thackray, ICOMOS-UK.
- Registration: £60 ICOMOS-UK members, £65 non-members (includes lunch, tea and coffee)
- Further details and registration information for the event are available here»
- Full conference programme and registration form is available here»