- UCL Careers Service
UCL Careers Service offers comprehensive careers information and advice/guidance services plus varied recruitment events and employer led skills development programmes.
- Short Guidance is a confidential twenty minute 1-1 discussion with a Careers Consultant. It can be used to discuss a range of issues such as decisions about life after UCL, exploring options with your degree, marketing your degree & skills and much more.
- Applications Advice sessions offer help and feedback on CVs, cover letters and application forms for employers, further study courses, funding and PhD positions.
- Practice Interviews - If you've been invited to any type of interview, you can see a Careers Consultant for up to an hour for a Practice Interview.
- Employer Presentations - Talks by companies throughout Autumn and Spring about their opportunities in order to see who is currently recruiting and ask questions about different types of roles.
- Employer Fairs - A chance to network with employers and ask informally about current opportunities
- Sector Themed Weeks - A chance to network with representatives from a specific sector to find out more about graduate opportunities and work experience.
For more information and to book appointments, please go to the UCL Careers Service website
- Job & Internship Opportunities
Looking for a job or internship? Then take a look at the following resources:
myUCLCareers - myUCLCareers is UCL's online careers portal enabling students, graduates, research staff and employers to engage with UCL Careers services including vacancy board, events calendar and appointment bookings.
UCL Talent Bank - Connects UCL students and graduates with job, internship and work experience opportunities within small- and medium sized organisations and via UCL alumni.
Graduate Talent Pool - a partnership between government and employers designed to help UK graduates looking for work placements.
The Royal Anthropological Institute - has jobs vacancies, internships and volunteering opportunities
Jobs.ac.uk - has Anthropology Research and PhD positions
Association of Social Anthropologists of the UK & Commonwealth - has jobs listings
The Society for Applied Anthropology - has news, events and job listings
The Society for Anthropological Sciences - has info and some jobs
For people interested in getting an internship or job in International Development, check out the document below:
- Overseas Work, Further Study & Internships
Going Global career and employment resources include more than 10,000 pages of constantly-updated content on topics such as: job search sources, work permit / visa regulations, application writing guidelines and examples, employment trends, salary ranges, networking groups, cultural / interviewing advice… and much more!
UCL students and staff can access this online resource using your normal UCL User ID and password. More details
Find hundreds of employers looking to target UCL graduates on International JobOnline. Whether you are an international student looking for work back 'home' when you graduate, or a UK student looking to find work outside of the UK, International JobOnline is a great place to find all the information you need. More details
- The UCL Alumni Mentoring Network
The Alumni Mentoring Network is a web-based facility provided by the UCL Alumni Network through which graduates can contact UCL alumni to gain an insight into the realities of working in specific professions. Hundreds of UCL alumni spanning a wide range of professions have volunteered to become informal 'mentors' to UCL students and graduates considering their career options.
Alumni mentors can help you find out more about the reality of certain jobs, sectors and professions based on their experiences. They can give you the inside track on what they enjoy about their job, the challenges and advice on how to get into the sector.
- Postgraduate Study & Funding
Finding a postgraduate course
- Find A Masters - Listings of taught and research Master's courses in the UK.
- Find A PhD - Research opportunities in UK.
- TARGET Courses - Detailed information about all postgraduates courses offered within the UK.
- Jobs.ac.uk - Site for postgraduate study advice and career development.
- Postgraduate Studentships - Important information for postgraduates.
- Prospects Postgraduate Database - For complete listings of all institutions, with links to their respective websites.
Funding for postgraduate study in the UK
- TARGETCourses NEW Funding Database - lists and advice on studentships, awards and bursaries
- Research Professionals - provides information about funding as well as information about your field
- Funding my further study - general information on funding postgraduate study on the Prospects website. Includes good overviews of the main options and of important factors for consideration.
- Student Money - includes a funding database, budget planner, loan repayment calculator and a wage predictor, to help you assess the benefits of further study.
- Postgraduate Studentships - dedicated website in the UK to bring together all the different types of funding opportunities open to potential postgraduates, at both taught and research level, all in one place.
- Turn 2 Us - This is a charitable service which helps people access the money available to them - through welfare benefits, grants and other help.
- Find a Masters Funding Guide - A guide to funding for postgraduate study at the masters level.
- Find a PhD Funding Guide - A guide to funding for postgraduate study at the PhD level.
Postgraduate Study Abroad
Here is a list of online resources which will assist you in your search for international postgraduate studies.
- Prospects - Explore working and studying abroad.
- Top Universities Guide to Studying Abroad - Information about international admissions and more!
- Association of Commonwealth Universities - search for courses and funding opportunities at universities in the British Commonwealth
- PLOTEUS - Portal on Learning Opportunities Throughout the European Space.
- Enic-Naric - information relating to the recognition and equivalency of academic qualifications.
- The Independent Living Institute - offers information about study abroad for disabled people.
- Study Abroad Directory
- Study Overseas - offers free independent advice for students wishing to study in Australia.
- Year Out Group - search by 'activity' to find courses and study opportunities worldwide.
- Association of Language Travel Organisations
Funding for International Students
For information on funding opportunities specifically for international students to study in the UK, please see the following:
- UKCISA - general finance for international students, as well as links to further resources.
- British Council - searchable database of scholarships and links to further funding opportunities.
- Education UK - British Council site, which includes a scholarship search function, a budget planner and information on costs of studying in the UK.
Family Action's Educational Grants
There are a range of educational grants available through Family Action's grants programme. Applicants must be studying at a college or university that is affiliated to EGS (Educational Grants Service).
- PhD & Early Career Researchers
Did you know that we have dedicated workshops, advice and resources for Research Students?
For 1:1 advice go to www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/specialistsupport/researchers
We run the following workshops
- Academic Career Planning
- Effective Academic Applications
- Effective Academic Interviews
- Working in International Teams
- Career Planning Beyond Academia
- Interviews & Other Selection Methods
- How to write CVs & Fill in Application Forms
Are you interested in brushing up on key employability skills and meeting/networking with prospective future employers who are interested in PhD and other postgraduate research students? Click here
For loads more resources and information go to our specialist support for UCL Researchers webpage.
Looking for roles in Academia relating to Anthropology? Go to www.jobs.ac.uk/categories/anthropology
Whether it is for your CV, a way to work out what you want to do, a chance to meet new friends or to 'give something back', volunteering is a great way to get experience and build up new skills.
The UCL Volunteering Services Unit (VSU)
is a joint project of UCL and UCL Union. It is one of the largest volunteering departments in UK Higher Education and, as such, students wishing to get involved in community activities have a great deal of support and advice on offer.
There are three main strands to the VSU's work:
- Community Partners - places students with 300 different charities and other volunteering organisations across London. http://www.uclu.org/volunteers
- Innovations Programme - supports students to set up and run their own community action programmes. Provides a supervisor, access to facilities such as printing and room bookings, and students can also apply for up to £750 to run their projects. http://www.uclunion.org/volunteers/innovations-programme
- One-Offs - for students who do not wish to make an ongoing commitment, VSU offer a schedule of one-off volunteering activities. http://www.uclunion.org/volunteers/one-off-volunteering
In addition to these three areas, the VSU organise a wide range of training and events for UCL student volunteers.
For information and to get involved, click here
Other Volunteering Opportunities
- Visit JobOnline - you can search the database for volunteering opportunities in the UK.
- Visit International JobOnline - you can search the database for international volunteering opportunities.
- Anti-Slavery International http://www.antislavery.org/
- BUNAC http://www.bunac.org/
- Direct Gov http://www.direct.gov.uk/ > Search 'volunteering'
- Do-It http://www.do-it.org.uk/
- E4S http://www.e4s.co.uk/
- Experience Development http://www.experiencedevelopment.org/
- Gap Year http://www.gapyear.com/
- Groundwork http://www.groundwork.org.uk/
- Health Unlimited http://www.healthunlimited.org/
- I-to-I http://www.i-to-i.com/
- Latitude http://www.lattitude.org.uk/
- National Council for Voluntary Organisations http://www.ncvo-vol.org.uk/
- One World http://www.uk.oneworld.net/
- theIDLgroup http://www.theidlgroup.com/
- Time Bank http://www.timebank.org.uk/
- UN Volunteering http://www.unv.org/
- Vinspired http://www.vinspired.com/
- Volunteer Development Agency http://www.volunteering-ni.org/
- Volunteering England http://www.volunteering.org.uk/
- VSO http://www.vso.org.uk/
- Working Abroad http://www.workingabroad.com/
- Year Out Group http://www.yearoutgroup.org/