Why study at UCL?
Benefit from a multidisciplinary focus
- The African Studies MA/MSc provides unique access to a multidisciplinary blend of world-leading research and expertise relating to the study of Africa.
Unrivalled academic expertise
- This programme marks the first time existing expertise on Africa at UCL has been brought together in one place, making it the largest concentration of Africanist expertise in the Social and Natural Sciences in the UK.
- Over 35 permanent members of UCL academic staff focus their research primarily on Africa and their field activities span the continent.
Unique teaching and learning
- UCL offers a unique teaching and learning context to the study of Africa: programmes interweave the study of the pre-colonial past, the colonial era, and the post-colonial present, with an eye to the future.
- Core courses are arranged thematically around ‘debates’, with lectures presenting a long-term view of issues to frame subsequent seminar discussions.
African Studies students come from diverse backgrounds and go on to diverse careers. At UCL African Studies we aim to provide students with a core grounding in major contemporary topics and their historical roots, while providing the flexibility for students to create their own specialized pathways through the degree
Located in the heart of London, UCL offers you the best in academic and cultural life both within and beyond the university. We're proud of our pioneering history, our distinguished present and our exciting future. UCL is a great place to be a student.