All UCL Halls have extensive and robust fire safety arrangements in place. As a resident however, you can take action to minimise the risks of fire.
We advise you to please take the time to read the information on this page and familiarise yourself with it. It might just prevent a fire and will certainly reduce the inconvenience of false alarms for yourself and others.
Fire Alarms are provided to give warning in case of fire, as smoke and fire can spread very quickly. Always leave the building on hearing the alarm (for more than a minute) in orderly manner by the nearest available exit. You should be familiar with your escape routes and Fire Assembly Point, this information is available on the back of your bedroom and kitchen door, or in your home booklet.
To prevent accidental activation of smoke detectors:
- Do not cook (including toast) in bedrooms and only use designated kitchens, keeping the fire doors closed at all times
- Do not use any spray under or near the smoke detector
- Do not use a hairdryer or hair straighteners under or near the smoke detector
- Please ensure that hair straighteners are unplugged when not in use
- Be careful with the positioning of combustible materials near electric points
- Smoking, including E-Cigarettes, is not permitted in your accommodation
- Candles and aromatherapy burners are not permitted - please do not use for your safety and that of others in your accommodation
- Humidifiers are not permitted in your accommodation
Any person found interfering in any way whatsoever with fire-fighting equipment or alarms, other than for proper use, will be fined and necessary action taken as appropriate. Frivolous discharge of fire extinguishers will be charged to the individual or to all residents of the hall if the culprit is not known.
General Fire Precautions
- Smoking, including E-Cigarettes, is NOT permitted in you accommodation (or any UCL premises)
- The use of candles, incense, fireworks, hookah and shisha pipes, Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) are NOT permitted in your accommodation
- Always, switch off all electric appliances and lights when you leave your room and at night
- Do not use paper light shades or paper masking on any light fitting
- Do not use plastic or wicker waste paper bins and empty waste paper bins every day
- Never hang washing on or near heaters and do not obstruct in any way the airflow around all types of heaters
- Never leave the kitchen when you are cooking food and be especially careful with hot fat and oil
- Do not cook in your bedrooms and BBQ's are not permitted
- The use of portable heating and cooking equipment in your room is strictly forbidden
- Do not bring hazardous substances into your room even from laboratories or other UCL premises
At UCL, the safety of our students and staff is a top priority. We appreciate your support in ensuring that UCL halls are a safe and secure environment to live in.
If you are a student living in one of our UCL Accommodation Unite sites (Beaumont Court, Stapleton House and St Pancras Way), there is further information regarding their regulations located on their fire safety page.