UCL Accommodation


Accommodation Support for Students with Disabilities

UCL Accommodation work to ensure disabled students are allocated rooms that meet their needs and at no additional costs through UCL rent adjustment.

Accessible Accommodation

UCL Accommodation welcomes and supports applications from disabled students or those with medical and support needs. We are able to consider your access requirements to place you in a room that is suitable for you.

Your requirements could include accommodation that enables an accessible route to campus, en suite room, level access bedroom, individual kitchen etc.

Where necessary and possible, adaptations can be made to rooms to make a room more suitable for individual needs.

We would recommend that if you are likely to need adaptations to your room that you speak with a member of the Accommodation Team as soon as possible by email accommodation@ucl.ac.uk or call +44 (0)20 7679 6322.

If you are diagnosed with a medical condition after applying, please email the UCL Accommodation Office explaining how the condition affects your accommodation requirements.

The following residences offer accessible accommodation for students with restricted mobility:

Additionally, a limited number of accessible rooms will be available at the University of London's College Hall and The Garden Halls.

Returning students

Disabled students are able to apply for continuing accommodation each year. Continuing students should reapply for accommodation each year through the UCL Accommodation Portal. More information can be found on the Disability support for returning students page.

You may be required to provide recent and relevant medical evidence each year.

How do I apply for accessible accommodation?

You will need to apply through the Accommodation Portal. During your application, you will need to provide recent and relevant medical evidence that supports your requirement for a specific room type.

Evidence must meet the following criteria:

  • Be written in English.
  • Be provided by a medical professional (GP, consultant, specialist nurse) and presented on official headed or stamped paper.
  • Clearly state your diagnosis.
  • Detail the impact of your disability on a day to day basis.
  • State that the requirement for a specific room type.  

    Further information on suitable medical evidence can be found on the Student Support and Wellbeing web pages.     

Accommodation Application Portal

Rent Adjustment

UCL offers students who require a higher specification room due to their access requirements a rent adjustment. This means that they will only be charged the standard room rate for the hall that they have been allocated.

For students applying to UCL and UCL nominated Unite locations, the adjustment will be applied as a credit to your accommodation account. For students allocated to an Intercollegiate Hall by UCL, UCL will make a payment directly to the University of London.

The rent adjustment will apply for the academic year for which you are applying for accommodation. The adjustment will be applied automatically where it is made clear that your need for that room is based on disability or medical grounds.

If you are provided with continued accommodation, the rent adjustment will be reconsidered for the new academic year. You may be required to provide recent and relevant medical evidence each year. 

Further Information

  • The rent adjustment will apply for the academic year for which you are applying. Should you be granted a rent adjustment after the start of your accommodation contract, we will backdate the adjustment to the start of your accommodation contract for that academic year and not just from the point of approval. We will not apply the adjustment to accommodation contracts for previous academic years, held with UCL.
  • There is no guarantee of a particular room type or location. Individual suitability or preference, for a type of room or location, do not form part of the rent adjustment criteria and will not be considered. The rent adjustment is granted according to need.
  • During the course of the academic year, should you require a change to a higher specification room due to your disability or you have any queries regarding accessible rooms and rent adjustment, please contact the UCL Accommodation Office.
  • If you haven't already, make sure to register with Student Support and Wellbeing. They can put support in place for any issues you may have with your studies and general university life.