News and Events
- Listen again to David Lieberman on 'Bentham and the Conventions of English Radicalism' and Gerald J. Postema on 'Bentham's "Revisionist" Positivism' on the new Bentham Seminar podcast. The next Bentham Seminar will be given by Kris Grint on 19 March. View the full programme or download the poster.
- Emeritus Professor Philip Steadman of UCL's Bartlett School of Architecture, has published a book examining the histories of a number of common building types, including houses, hospitals, factories, and prisons. The book contains information on Bentham's panopticon prison scheme. For details of how to order the book, please download the flyer.
- Dr Michael Quinn has written on the modern-day relevance of Bentham's writings on sexual morality to Uganda's recent homophobic bill in a piece for The Conversation.
- Of Sexual Irregularities, and Other Writings on Sexual Morality, the latest volume in the Collected Works of Jeremy Bentham, has been published by Oxford University Press. A 30% discount is available for online orders. For more details please see the promotional flyer.
- Two competitions featuring Bentham manuscripts have been announced for the forthcoming International Conference on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition (ICFHR-2014): the Handwritten Text Recognition on a tranScriptorium Dataset (HTRtS) competition and the Handwritten Keyword Spotting competition (H-KWS). Visit the conference website.
- New Italian work on Bentham: Paola Rudan's latest book, L’inventore della costituzione. Jeremy Bentham e il governo della società has recently been published by Il Mulino.
- The Bentham Project has published online the Memorandoms of James Martin, the only first-hand account of perhaps the most famous escape by transported convicts from Australia. This fascinating document is part of UCL's Bentham Papers.
- ISUS XIII: The 13th Conference of the International Society for Utilitarian Studies will be held on 20-22 August 2014 at Yokohama National University. Visit the conference website.
See previous news and events in our archive.