Prof Dr Mona Hess: Honorary Senior Research Associate, Professor for Digital Technologies in Heritage Conservation
Mona is now working for the Otto-Friedrich University Bamberg as lead of the MSc of Digital Technologies in Heritage Conservation.
Am Zwinger 4
Honorary Senior Research Associate
Dept of Civil, Environ &Geomatic Eng
Faculty of Engineering Science
digital heritage, 3D imaging of artefacts and spaces, digital documentation of cultural heritage, digital archives for buildings and museum objects, issues in heritage conservation and conservation science, teaching
Mona has graduate degrees in architecture and heritage conservation, and holds a PhD in 3D imaging metrology for cultural heritage and offers a cross-disciplinary approach for 3D imaging metrology, and 3D virtual reconstruction and 3D printing in cultural heritage, arts & humanities and for creative industries.
Mona is also taking on collaborative project work and consultancies with industry and heritage institutions. She is an active member of the international Digital Heritage community, lastly through the participation at the EU e-Cost action COSCH (Colour and Space in Cultural Heritage, TD1201).
From 2008 to 2017 she has been working as researcher at UCL Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering and UCL Culture (UCL Museums and Collections). Specialized in 3D colour imaging and replica for museum objects she has taken on projects within University College London (E-Curator "3D colour scans for remote object identification and assessment", workshop ‘Life cycle of a digital object’ and 3DPetrie), for museums in London (British Museum - Solomon Islands Canoe, Science Museum, Cortauld Institute of Art) but also internationally (Università degli studi Lecce/Italy, CULTNAT Egypt, University of Virginia/ USA). Please see Research Activities for more information.
- 3DIMPact online: D2U Grant, UCL Enterprise
- 3DPetrie: 3D imaging research, digital applications and use of new technologies in the museum
- 3Dspectral - Revealing secrets
- British Museum War Canoe - 3D virtual reconstruction and digital repatriation
- E-Curator: 3D colour scans for remote object identification and assessment
- EU COSCH - Colour and Space in Cultural Heritage, Working Group II: Spatial Object Documentation.
- Improving automated 3D reconstruction methods via vision metrology solutions
- Play it again SAM. Design with Heritage.
- Re-engineering Watt: 3D laser scan and 3D printing in museum artefact documentation
- Stamp printing plates, dies and rollers–from vault to view
- The Light Controlled Factory
- Wel(l)come@3D - knowledge exchange in 3D imaging technology, 3D printing and dissemination of archival and collection objects , Knowledge Exchange Champion, UCL Enterprise
- iQmulus: A High-volume Fusion and Analysis Platform for Geospatial Point Clouds, Coverages and Volumetric Data Sets