Arch. Baik is researcher at University College London (UCL) and a Lecturer at King Abdul-Aziz University (KAU), who specializes in Islamic Architecture and Historic buildings “Documentation and management”, since 2007. He holds Bachelor of Architecture from KAU, Faculty of Environmental Design, Saudi Arabia. And Master of Geospatial Information from RMIT University, school of Mathematical and Geospatial sciences, Australia, Melbourne.
Architect Baik’s PhD thesis is about using Building Information Modelling (BIM) to document and manage the Historic Buildings in Saudi Arabia. Arch. Baik has published numbers of papers about the subjects of Jeddah Historical Building Information Modelling (JHBIM) and the Hijazi Architectural Objects Library (HAOL).
The historic city of Jeddah faces serious issues in the documentation, conservation, and recording of its valuable building stock. Terrestrial Laser Scanning and Architectural Photogrammetry have already been used in many Heritage sites in the world. The integration of heritage recording and Building Information Modelling (BIM) has been introduced as HBIM and is now a method to document and manage these buildings. In the last 10 years ago many traditional engineering methods were used to record the buildings in Old Jeddah. However, these methods can sometimes offer unreliable information, take a long time, and often lack completeness. This work will look at another method for heritage recording by using the Jeddah Historical Building Information Modelling (JHBIM).
- Baik, A. (2017) , The role of HBIM in reviving the identity of the city; Case of Jeddah City, In: Heritage Building Information Modelling, Routledge
- Baik, A., & Boehm, J. (2016). Building information modelling for historical building Historic Jeddah - Saudi Arabia. 2015 Digital Heritage International , Congress, Digital Heritage 2015, 125-128, IEEE Digital Xplore, doi:10.1109/DigitalHeritage.2015.7419468
- Baik, A; Yaagoubi, R; Boehm, J ;( 2015). Integration of Jeddah Historical BIM and 3D GIS for Documentation and restoration of historical monument, International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences - ISPRS Archives
- Baik, A; Boehm, J; (2015). HBIM toward the Sustainability, In: SEAHA 1st International Conference, UCL, 14-15 July 2015.
- British Council award for Heritage BIM conference & workshop, Luxor, Egypt from 12 to 16 March 2015.
- Baik, A; Boehm, J; (2015) Documentation of the Nasif Historical House using the TLS and IS Methods, Jeddah – Saudi Arabia, In: The Eighth Saudi student’s conference (SSC 2015), 31st of Jan -1st of Feb 2015 in London, UK.
- Baik, A; Alitany, A; (2015) The Objects Library of "JHBIM", In: The Eighth Saudi student’s conference (SSC 2015), 31st of Jan -1st of Feb 2015 in London, UK.
- Baik, A., Alitany, A., Boehm, J., & Robson, S. (2014). Jeddah Historical Building Information Modelling "JHBIM" – Object Library. ISPRS Annals of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, II-5, 41-47. doi:10.5194/isprsannals-II-5-41-2014
- Baik, A; Boehm, J (2014) Historical Building Information Modelling for Old Jeddah building - Saudi Arabia. In: The 2014 Wavelength conference, 14-16th April in the Great Malvern, Worcestershire in the UK.
- Baik, A; Boehm, J; Robson, S; (2014) From Point Cloud to JHBIM: Jeddah Historical Building Information Modelling, Old Jeddah - Saudi Arabia. In: The 7th Saudi Students Conference in the UK.
- Baik, A., Boehm, J., & Robson, S. (2013). Jeddah historical building information modeling "JHBIM" Old Jeddah - Saudi Arabia. International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences - ISPRS Archives, 40 (5W2), 73-78. International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.