XClose

UCL 2034

Sustainable estate: review of progress

From our foundation in 1826, UCL has had a proud tradition of building innovative and high-quality buildings, many of which have broken new ground in university architecture.

Case study: Transforming the UCL Institute of Education

The Institute of Education exterior
2019 marked the halfway point of UCL’s ten-year programme – Transforming UCL – to build innovative and sustainable educational spaces, improving them for students and staff alike.

Transforming UCL aims to foster the creative thinking and technological advances made at UCL that make an impact on the biggest challenges facing us today.

The Institute of Education (IOE) has been based in its current location, 20 Bedford Way, since 1977. The largest building in UCL’s vast central London estate, the IOE houses the institute’s library and archives, teaching spaces, lecture theatres and conference facilities, student facilities, research facilities and staff offices.

To support the IOE’s growth, 20 Bedford Way is being reconfigured to deliver a modern, flexible and energy-efficient building and extend its life by 50 years.

Due to the size of the project, the reconfiguration and retrofit will be delivered in phases over several years. Phase One, which began in 2017 and was completed in May 2019, saw 2,500 square meters of space transformed into high-quality teaching and learning spaces, and new offices for more than 100 staff.

UCL Estates worked closely with IOE experts to design the new, innovative teaching spaces, from lecture theatres to seminar rooms, and have already received positive feedback from prospective students on campus tours.

The redesign has allowed for 930 teaching seats in state-of the-art rooms, meaning that all teaching can be carried out under one roof, while private study areas, an upgraded library and a new bar with an outside terrace attract students and staff from across the campus.

Consultation for Phase Two is underway and will allow for 72% of staff to move into new spaces by 2022 through further modernisation. Phase Three will see the refurbishment completed with renewed environmental and safety systems.

Link: Institute of Education

Further information

Previous key enabler

Excellent systems

Next key enabler

Communicating and engaging