Gardner-Medwin - Teaching Publications
(NPP), UCL, London WC1E 6BT
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2011)
Reasonable Doubt: Uncertainty in Education, Science and Law. Proc.Brit.Acad. 171, 465-483.
Ch.17 in Evidence, Inference and Enquiry (Ed. Twining W, Dawid P & Vasilaki D) OUP
- Cornwell R & Gardner-Medwin T (2008)
Perspective on certainty-based marking. Innovate 4 (3):
- Gardner-Medwin AR & Curtin NA (2007).
(CBM) For Reflective Learning And Proper Knowledge Assessment. REAP
Int. Online Conf. on Assessment Design for Learner Responsibility, May
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2006) Confidence-Based
Marking - towards deeper learning and better exams In :
Innovative Assessment in Higher Education.
Ed.: Bryan C and Clegg K. Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group,
- Gardner-Medwin AR & Gahan M (2003) Formative and
Summative Confidence-Based Assessment Proc. 7th International
Conference, Loughborough, UK, July 2003, pp. 147-155
- Issroff K & Gardner-Medwin AR (1998) Evaluation of
within Optional Coursework. , In Innovation in the
evaluation of Learning
Technology. Ed. M.Oliver, Univ. N. London Press, pp169-179.
- Gardner-Medwin AR (1998) Updating
with Confidence: Do your students know what they don't know?, Health Informatics 4:45-46
- Gardner-Medwin AR (1995)
Confidence Assessment in the Teaching of Basic Science.
ALT-J (Assoc. for Learning Technology Journal) 3:80-85.
[pdf available at Research in Learning Technology]
Webcasts, online events:
Short articles, Abstracts and Presentations on CBM :
- Gardner-Medwin T (2013) Certainty-based marking in self-tests and exams
e-Assessment: Which Way Now? London Knowledge Lab, 16 May PDF Abstract & slides
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2013) Optimisation of Certainty-Based Assessment Scores
Int Union Physiological Sciences, Birmingham, July 2013 PDF abstract
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2010) Develop understanding, with Self-tests & Certainty Based Marking. Leicester Univ. Teaching & Learning Day, April 2010 PDF slides
- Gardner-Medwin T, Jenner M & Roberts P (2010) Self-tests and
CBM as learning tools - putting learners in charge.
MoodleMoot UK, April 2010. PPT slides
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2009) Marks for identifying uncertainty:
stimulation of learning through Certainty-Based Marking. Cambridge Assessment, June 2009. PDF slides PPT slides
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2008) Certainty-Based Marking: rewarding
good judgment of what is or is not reliable
Innovation 2008: Breckenridge CO, USA; April 2008
- Lunch-Hour Lecture, UCL, 21 Nov,'06 "Is there a measure of
Knowledge?" Slides (.pdf)
including dialogue based on an audience question (last 2 slides). Also:
Video File. NB
To follow the video you need to print out the PDF first, or view it while just listening
to the recorded sound. The video resolution for the slides is very poor.
- Gardner-Medwin AR, Curtin NA (2006). Certainty-based
marking at UCL and Imperial College. Physiological Society
Teaching Workshop, Proc Physiol Soc series. , 3, WA4 Online
Abstract , Slides (pdf)
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2006). Analysis of
exams using certainty-based marking. Physiological Society
Main Meeting, UCL, Proc Physiol Soc series. , 3, PC64 Online
(pdf*) *Do View-Rotate or use Rotate tool to view properly
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2005) Confidence
based marking – think it through 01.9 Newsletter of HeA Medicine, Dentistry and
Veterinary Medicine, 01.9 Online , Text (.doc)
AR, Curtin NA (2005): ISL
(Improving Student Learning) Symp., Imperial College London, Sept
2005. The skill of knowing how
reliable your knowledge is . Abstract ,
- Gardner-Medwin AR (2005) Confidence-Based
Marking: encouraging rigour through assessment. Physiological Society Teaching
2005. J Physiol 567P, WA10, Abstract , Slides (ppt) , Proceedings
- Shock of the Old Conference on "Implementing
April 2005, Gaining
Confidence in Confidence-Based Assessment Abstract, Powerpoint
- Staff and Educational
Development Association (SEDA) Conference, Belfast, 12-13 May 2005 Inspiring Care and Rigour by the use of
confidence-based marking. Tony Gardner-Medwin. Abstract , Conference
- Proc. Conf. on Learning Oriented
Assessment, Hong Kong Inst Ed., 10 June 2005 Experience of Confidence-Based Marking.
A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2005) ,
- 1st International Conference on "Enhancing
Teaching and Learning through Assessment", Hong Kong 12-15 June,
2005 Abstract: Enhancing
Learning and Assessment Through Confidence-Based Marking Tony
Gardner-Medwin: see Conference
- HE Academy Conf.
Learning & Teaching", Warwick, 27-28 June 2005 Improving
Learning and Assessment with Confidence-Based Marking Tony
Gardner-Medwin Abstract , Poster (ppt
file) , Proceedings
- Confidence-based marking: the
proper exam strategy. Tony Gardner-Medwin (2004) Proc. HE
Academy Conf. on Assessment for
Learning: Sheffield-Hallam, Oct 2004 see Conference
of confidence-based assessment ,
A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2003) J Physiol 547P, C148
- Rational and Irrational Marking
Schemes. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (1999). J.Physiol. 515P:48P.
- UCL Newsletter 1997 , A.R.
Gardner-Medwin & K.Issroff. Do you know what you don't know?
- Confidence Assessment in the
Teaching of Physiology. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin & N.A. Curtin
(1996) J.Physiol. 494:74P (abstract)
- IUPS Workshop on Teaching Physiology,
Maastricht, Sept 1995 , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (unpublished abstract).
related to General Teaching Issues
Talks (.ppt files)
on Research - see separate listing