I am a Reader (equivalent to an Associate Professor in the North-American academic system) in Data Science at the Department of Geography at University College London, where I lead the Intelligent Social Systems Lab. The lab is part of the UCL Geospatial Analytics and Computing Research Group.
At UCL I am Deputy Director of the Leverhulme Doctoral Training Programme for the Ecological Study of the Brain, a member of the Steering and Executive Board of the UCL Institute of Digital Health and a member of the UCL Academic Centre of Excellence for Cyber Security Research (ACE-CSR).
I am also the Director of the UCL Master in Geospatial Analysis.
Current areas of interest include:
- Computational models of human behaviour and social systems (using mobile data, sensor and Internet of Things data, social media and other user-generated content, etc.) and its applications;
- Applied machine learning;
- Ubiquitous computing;
- Mobile systems.
Application areas include:
- Design and implementation of intelligent systems;
- Data science&AI for social good;
I joined the Editorial Board of IEEE Pervasive Computing as Co-Editor in Chief.
I joined the Editorial Board of the ACM Transactions on the Internet of Things.
We have been awarded a grant from the Leverhulme Trust for the funding of the cross-disciplinary Ecological Brain Doctoral Training Centre. The focus of the centre is the study of the brain and human behaviour in-the-wild. The first cohort of PhD students will start in Autumn 2018.
I am currently involved in the following upcoming scientific events. Please consider submitting your work to and attending these conferences and workshops:
- 24th ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (ACM MobiCom 2018) [Program Committee Member]
- 16th ACM International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications and Services (ACM MobiSys 2018) [Program Committee Member]
- 2018 ACM International Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing [Member of the Editorial Board of the Associated ACM IMWUT Journal and Workshop co-Chair]
- European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases 2018 (ECML PKDD 2018) [Programme Committee Member]
- 12th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (AAAI ICWSM 2018) [Senior Program Committee Member]
- 12th International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth 2018) [Program Committee Member]
- 38th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (IEEE ICDCS 2018) - Internet of Things and Cyber-Physical Systems Track [Program Committee Member]
- 10th ACM Conference on Web Science (ACM WebSci’18) [Program Committee Member]
- 2nd International Workshop on Personal Analytics and Privacy at CML PKDD 2018 [Program Committee Member]
Ph.D. Students and Postdoc Opportunities
PhD Students. I am looking for students interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in my lab. If you are interested please contact me by email in order to discuss potential funding sources for your studies (such as available postgraduate studentships and other potential sources of Ph.D. funding).
Postdoctoral Researchers. I am also happy to discuss other opportunities for working in my group, including fellowships such as those offered through the Newton Fund, EU Skłodowska-Curie Actions or the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Recent Papers and Pre-prints
Interpretable Machine Learning for Privacy-Preserving Pervasive Systems
Benjamin Baron and Mirco Musolesi
Submitted for Publication. Preprint available on arXiv: arXiv:1710.08464
Intelligent Notification Systems: A Survey of the State of the Art and Research Challenges
Abhinav Mehrotra and Mirco Musolesi
Submitted for Publication. Preprint available on arXiv: arXiv:1711:10171
A Comparison of Spatial-based Targeted Disease Containment Strategies using Mobile Phone Data
Stefania Rubrichi, Zbigniew Smoreda and Mirco Musolesi
Accepted for Publication in EPJ Data Science. To Appear. Springer. 2018.
Preprint available on arXiv: arXiv:1706.00690
The Hidden Image of Mobile Apps: Geographic, Demographic, and Cultural Factors in Mobile Usage
Ella Peltonen, Eemil Lagerspetz, Jonatan Hamberg, Abhinav Mehrotra, Mirco Musolesi, Petteri Nurmi and Sasu Tarkoma
Accepted for Publication in Proceedings of the 20th International ACM Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services (ACM MobileHCI 2018). To Appear. Barcelona, Spain. September 2018.
You are your Metadata: Identification and Obfuscation of Social Media Users using Metadata Information
Beatrice Perez, Mirco Musolesi and Gianluca Stringhini
In Proceedings of the 12 International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM 2018). Palo Alto, California, CA, USA. June 2018.
Predicting the Temporal Activity Patterns of New Venues
Krittika D’Silva, Anastasios Noulas, Mirco Musolesi, Cecilia Mascolo and Max Sklar
In EPJ Data Science. Volume 7. Issue 13. Springer. May 2018.
Personal Informatics Tools Benefit from Combining Automatic and Manual Data Capture in the Long-Term
Nora Ptakauskaite, Anna Cox, Mirco Musolesi, Abhinav Mehrotra, James Cheshire and Chiara Garattini
In Proceedings of the ACM CHI Workshop on Next Steps Towards Long Term Self Tracking. Colocated with ACM CHI 2018. Montreal, Canada. April 2018.
Last updated: 21 May 2018.