I am interested in environmental change and human impacts upon aquatic environments. In particular, I am interested in understanding how lakes in remote regions have changed in the past and how human impacts like acidification, eutrophication, and climate change have affected the ecology and biogeochemical cycles of lakes in the past and how they will be affected in the future.
Find out more about my research interests.
I convene the ECRC's short course in Numerical Analysis of Biological and Environmental Data and contribute to teaching on the undergraduate course Ecological Patterns and Processes.
- Wischnewski, J., Kramer, A., Kong, Z., Mackay, A.W., Simpson, G.L., Mischke, S. & Herzschuh, U. (2011) Terrestrial and aquatic responses to climate change and human impact on the southeastrn Tibetan Plateau during the past two centuries. Global Change Biology 17(11), 3376–3391.
- Bennion, H. and Simpson, G.L. (2011) The use of diatom records to establish reference conditions for UK lakes subject to eutrophication. Journal of Paleolimnology 45(4), 469–488..
- Simpson, G.L. & Anderson, N.J. (2009) Deciphering the effect of climate
change and separating the influence of confounding factors in sediment core records using additive
models. Limnology and Oceanography.
- Battarbee, R.W., Monteith, D.T., Juggins, S., Simpson, G.L., Shilland E.W., Flower R.J. & Kreiser, A.M. (2008) Assessing the accuracy of diatom-based transfer functions in defining reference pH conditions for acidified lakes in the United Kingdom. The Holocene 8(1), 57–67.
- Holden, P.B., Mackay, A.W. & Simpson, G.L. (2008) A Bayesian palaeoenvironmental transfer function model for acidified lakes. Journal of Paleolimnology 39(4), 551–556.
- Simpson, G.L. (2007) Analogue methods in palaeoecology: Using the analogue package. Journal of Statistical Software 22(2), 1–29.
- Sayer, C.D., Jackson, M.J., Hoare, D., Simpson, G.L., Henderson, A.C.G., Liptrott, E.R., Appleby, P.G., Boyle, J.F., Jones, I.J. & Waldock, M.J. (2006) TBT causes regime shift in shallow lakes? Environmental Science and Technology 40(17), 5269–5275.
- Simpson, G.L., Shilland, E.M., Winterbottom, J.M., & Keay, J. (2005) Defining reference conditions for acidified waters using a modern analogue approach. Environmental Pollution 137, 119–133.
- Bennion, H., Fluin, J., & Simpson, G.L. (2004) Assessing eutrophication and defining ecological reference conditions for a set of Scottish freshwater lochs using sub-fossil diatom assemblages. Journal of Applied Ecology 41, 124–138.