I am a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) at the Department of Statistical Science at University College London. I completed a PhD in Statistics in 2007 at the Department of Statistics, University of Warwick, where I subsequently held an appointment as a CRiSM Research Fellow until 2010. I joined UCL as a Lecturer in September 2010.
More information can be found on the current pages and in my CV .
My current methodological research interests lie in:
- Methods for optimal estimation and inference of statistical models
- Inference and computation of statistical models from massive data sets
- Clustering methods and applications
More details can be found at my research page.
- My article Bias in parametric estimation: reduction and useful side-effects features in top ten most accessed articles of WIREs Computational Statistics in 2015.
- I will be giving a course on statistical learning of generalized linear models with massive amounts of data at the Barcelona GSE Data Science (November 2015, Barcelona, Spain).
- The Alan Turing Institute funded the scoping workshop Data Science for data-rich sports, which I co-proposed (together with David Firth and Anjali Mazumder at Warwick, Richard Samworth at Cambridge, and Kostas Zygalakis at Edinburgh). The workshop will take place on 2 and 3 November 2015. More workshop details can be found here and here.
- Model-based clustering using copulas with applications appeared online in Statistics and Computing.
- I will be giving a course at the 2nd R Spring Course @ AUEB (March 2015, Athens, Greece)
- I am co-organising the 2nd UCL Workshop on the Theory of Big Data (January 2016, London, UK).
- I will be leading a collaborative project with English Institute of Sport on developing statistical methods for sport performance data. The collaboration includes two year's funding for the appointment of a Research Associate in Statistics. News item here.
- I was awarded the MAPS Faculty Teaching Award in the academic staff category. News items here and here.
- Bias in parametric estimation: reduction and useful side-effects appeared in WIRE Computational Statistics.
- I am organising the session "Handling nuisance parameters: Advances towards optimal inference in statistics and econometrics" at ERCIM 2014 (6th - 8th December 2014, Pisa, Italy).
- Improved estimation in cumulative link models appeared in the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B.
Recent and upcoming seminars & talks
All times are local and in 24-hour format.
- 26 Feb 2016, 1500-1630: School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh, UK
- 12 Dec 2015, 1425-1450: Invited session "Generalized linear models and beyond", ERCIM 2015, London, UK
- 11 Nov 2015, 1600-1700: Joint meeting of the Royal Statistical Society Statistics in Sport and Statistical Computing Sections, Royal Statistical Society, London, UK
- Greek Stochastics η ', Chania, Greece
- 30th International Workshop on Statistical Modelling, Linz, Austria
- MathSport International 2015, Loughborough, UK
- 20 May 2015, 1330-1430: SuSTaIn i-like workshop, "Intractable Likelihoods", Bristol, UK
- 23 Apr 2015, 1200-1300: Faculty of Economics and Business, KU Leuven, Belgium
- 17 Apr 2015, 2015-2115: 51st Gregynog Statistical Conference, Powys, UK
- 17 Mar 2015, 1200-1300: Department of Statistical Science, University of Padova, Italy