Dr Huiliang Li
Molecular Mechanisms of Neural Development
Tel: 020 7679 6360
The Central Nervous System (CNS) is made up of diverse types of neurons and glial cells. Glia (literally 'glue') have proven to be much more than a passive support matrix for neurons. In fact, mounting evidence indicates that glia are highly complex cells engaged in a plethora of brain activities.
Employing transgenic approaches, we aim to find answers to the following questions:
- how do Neural Stem Cells (NSCs) choose glial versus neuronal fate?
- what are the molecular mechanisms behind gliogenesis?
- what are the causes and consequences of glial dysfunction?
- Academic Career
- 2012-date Group Leader, WIBR, UCL
- 2002-2012 Research Fellow, WIBR, UCL
- 2000 CMB Visiting Scholar, American Type Culture Collection
- 1998-2001 PhD Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences & Peking Union Medical College
- 1995-1998 MSc Chinese National laboratory of Experimental Hematology
- 1991-1995 BSc Nankai University
Tsai HH, Li H*, Fuentealba L*, Molofsky AV*, Taveira-Marques R*, Zhuang H, Tenney A, Murnen AT, Fancy S, Merkle F, Kessaris N, Alvarez-Buylla A, Richardson WD#, Rowitch DH# (2012). Regional astrocyte allocation regulates CNS synaptogenesis and repair. Science. 337. 358-362 *,# equal contributions.
Li,H., Paes de,F.J., Andrew, P., Nitarska,J., and Richardson,W.D. (2011). Phosphorylation Regulates OLIG2 Cofactor Choice and the Motor Neuron-Oligodendrocyte Fate Switch. Neuron 69, 918-929. Featured article with preview by Gaber,Z.B., et al. Neuron 69, 906-917; highlighted by Yates, D. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 12, 248-249. F1000 'must read'
Li H, He Y, Richardson WD, Casaccia P. (2009). Two-tier transcriptional control of oligodendrocyte differentiation. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2009 19(5):479-85.
Li H, Richardson WD. (2009). Genetics meets epigenetics: HDACs and Wnt signaling in myelin development and regeneration. Nature Neuroscience. Jul;12(7):815-7.
Li H, Richardson WD.(2008). The evolution of Olig genes and their roles in myelination. Neuron Glia Biol. May;4(2):129-35.
Li H, Lu, Y, Smith, HK, Richardson WD, (2007) Olig1 and Sox10 interact synergistically to drive myelin basic protein (mbp) gene transcription in the central nervous system. J Neurosci. Dec 26;27(52):14375-82.
Further publication information can be viewed at https://iris.ucl.ac.uk/iris/browse/profile?upi=HLIXX97
BBSRC New Investigator Award
2013-2016 "Transgenic approaches to understanding astrocyte heterogeneity"