||Flexible Distance Learning
||8 taught modules plus research project
||1 year full time study
||2-5 years, ideally within 3 years
||8 taught modules
||Sept-April full time
||2-3 years, ideally within 2 years
||4 taught modules
||3 months full time
||Ideally within 1 year
Distance learning FAQ
** Certificate for continued personal development (CPD) will be avaliable soon. Please enquire with Dr Edith Chan.
1. Bioinformatics and Structural Biology.
2. Target Identification, Pharmacology and High Throughput Screening.
3. Cheminformatics and Computer Drug Design.
4. Biological molecules as therapeutics – Antibodies, siRNA, and Stem Cells.
5. Biophysical screening methods, X-ray crystallography, protein NMR and phenotypic screening.
6. Fragment based drug design.
7. Target selection – Cancer, Aging, and new Targets.
8. Intellectual property, Law, Economics, and Marketing.
9. Research project -
- Minimum 12 weeks
- Expert groups in UCL - e.g. Cancer Institute, Royal Free Hospital, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Biology, Medicine, etc.
- External Companies and Institutes - e.g GSK, European Bioinformatics Institute, Cresset, etc.
- Projects cover every aspect of drug design and discovery from computational modelling to X-ray crystallography and protein NMR, from chemical synthesis to cutting edge biology of cancer or other diseases. See examples here.
There are eight modules carrying 15 credits. Each module will consist of a written exam (50%) and coursework (50%).
Assessment will be by unseen written examinations and coursework.
A research project will be assessed by written dissertation and an oral presentation.
Duration: 1 year full time or 2-5 years for flexible distance learning.
Distance learning students click here for more information.
Start: Every September
Entry requirements: Minimum of second-class Honours degree.
Click here for more information on entry requirements and term dates.
Course Credit value: UK 180/ECTS 90
Job prospects include: Biotech, Pharma, National research laboratories, NHS agencies, Medicinal Chemist, Biologist, Structural Biologist, Cheminformatian, Bioinformatian, Molecular Modeler, Information Specialist, Patent/ IP/ Knowledge Analyst.