Whitehall II Data Sharing
We are committed to maximizing the use of Whitehall II data to advance scientific knowledge. To this end, we welcome proposals for collaborative and non-collaborative projects.
The Whitehall II data sharing policy has been developed to follow a controlled access model for data sharing, which conforms to the MRC Policy on Research Data Sharing. In this model, we make data as widely and freely available as possible while safeguarding the privacy of participants, protecting confidential data, and maintaining the reputation of the study and its participants.
Applying for data
Data are available to bona-fide researchers with an established scientific record. Our data sharing model involves the submission of:
- the WII Data Sharing Application Form (also in PDF).
- the list of variables needed for the project. Please highlight the variable names in the WII Excel data dictionary.
Upon approval of this application by the WII research team, which meets monthly, applicants will be asked to sign the WII Data Sharing Agreement.
Within two weeks of the receipt of this document, the data manager will release an anonymised dataset, tailor-made for each project.
Data documentation for phases 1 to 8
You can obtain a detailed description of the WII variables in the following sources:
- WII Excel data dictionary
- Browse our metadata in the UCL Secure Epidemiology Research Platform (DDI format).
- PDF copies of the WII Health Survey Questionnaires (HSQ):
Page last modified on 26 nov 13 10:48