- VCO2 Project
- Upcoming Events
- Scientific Approach
- Background Reading
- Field Sites
- Contact Us
- News Reports
- Find us on Facebook!
- Find us on Linked in!
- VMSG (Volcanic and Magmatic Studies Group)
Prof David Pyle
Name: Prof David Pyle
Institution: University of Oxford
As a volcanologist Dave’s research interests lie in quantifying the rates and impacts of volcanism and volcanic degassing. His recent work has included the measurement of mercury and other trace species in volcanic emissions from a number of continuously active volcanoes; and a synthesis of volcanic emissions from the Central American arc. Ongoing projects include investigations of active rift-related volcanism in the Afar, Ethiopia; and reconstructing the post-glacial eruption histories of the volcanoes of southern Chile. With colleagues from Oxford, Southern Florida and Geneva, he has documented the impact and extent of the ash and pumice fall deposits from the 2008 eruption of Chaiten, Chile. Other recently completed projects include compiling a database of all known ‘large’ explosive volcanic eruptions, involving more than 400 km3 of magma, and the analysis of a new digital elevation model (DEM) for the Kameni Islands, Santorini.
Short Academic CV:
- 2008 – present Professor of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford
- 2006 –2008 Lecturer in Igneous Processes, University of Oxford
- 1998 - Senior Scientist at Montserrat Volcano Observatory
- 1991 – 2006 – Lecturer at University of Cambridge
- 1990 – 1991 – Visiting associate at California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, USA
- 1990 – PhD at University of Cambridge “Geological and radiochemical studies on young volcanoes: Santorini, Greece and Oldoinyo Lengai, Tanzania”
Recent relevant publications:
- RS Martin, TA Mather, DM Pyle, JA Day, MLI Witt, SJ Collins, RG Hilton, 2010, Major and trace element distributions around active volcanic vents determined by analyses of grasses: implications for element cycling and biomonitoring, Bulletin of Volcanology 72 (8), 1009-1020,
- DJ Ferguson, TD Barnie, DM Pyle, C Oppenheimer, G Yirgu, E Lewi, T Kidane, S Carn, I Hamling, 2010, Recent rift-related volcanism in Afar, Ethiopia, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 292, 409-418,
- SJ Collins, DM Pyle, J Maclennan, 2009, Melt inclusions track pre-eruption storage and dehydration of magmas at Etna, Geology 37, 571-574
- RS Martin, TA Mather, DM Pyle, M Power, VI Tsanev, C Oppenheimer, AG Allen, CJ Horwell, EPW Ward, 2009, Size distributions of fine silicate and other particles in Masaya's volcanic plume, Journal of Geophysical Research (Atmospheres) 114, D09217, Editors' highlight.
- MLI Witt, TP Fischer, DM Pyle, TF Yang and GF Zellmer, 2008, Fumarole compositions and mercury emissions from the Tatun Volcanic Field, Taiwan: Results from multi component gas analyser, portable mercury spectrometer and direct sampling techniques, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 178, 636-643.
- TE Wright, M Burton, DM Pyle, T Caltabiano, 2008, Scanning tomography of SO2 distribution in a volcanic gas plume, Geophysical Research Letters, 35, L17811.
- RS Martin, SFL Watt, DM Pyle, TA Mather, NE Matthews, RB Georg, JA Day, T Fairhead, MLI Witt, BM Quayle, 2006, Environmental effects of ashfall in Argentina from the 2008 Chaiten volcanic eruption, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 184, 462-472.
- AJS McGonigle, C Oppenheimer, B Galle, TA Mather and DM Pyle, 2002, Walking traverse and scanning DOAS measurements of volcanic gas emission rates, Geophysical Research Letters 29 (20), 1985
Personal Webpage: Dave Pyle