- VCO2 Project
- Upcoming Events
- Scientific Approach
- Background Reading
- Field Sites
- Contact Us
- News Reports
- Find us on Facebook!
- Find us on Linked in!
- VMSG (Volcanic and Magmatic Studies Group)
Dr Clive Oppenheimer
Name: Dr Clive Oppenheimer
Institution: University of Cambridge
Clive’s research interests lie in volcanic degassing and in particular the control of degassing on differentiation and redox states of magmas, as well as the chemistry of volcanic plumes generated both during passive degassing and eruptions. A key part of Clive’s research is the development of equipment for environmental sensing techniques with application of such equipment to Mount Erebus, Antarctica to look at the impacts of this volcano on the atmospheric environment. Understanding the impact of super volcanic eruptions is also of interest to Clive with research projects into how the climatic, palaeoenvironmental and human populations can be affected by these large volcanic events.
Short Academic CV:
- 2010-11: "Le Studium" Research Associate, Institut des Sciences de la Terre d'Orléans
- 2007-8: Leverhulme Trust Study Abroad Fellowship (New Mexico Tech.)
- 1994-present: University Assistant Lecturer / Lecturer / Reader, Department of Geography, University of Cambridge.
- 1993-4: University of Cambridge; SERC/NERC Earth Observation Fellowship.
- 1991-3: NERC PDRA and visiting research fellow, Open University, and NASA JPL.
Recent relevant publications :
- Oppenheimer, C., Pyle, D.M., and Barclay, J. (editors), 2003, Volcanic Degassing, Geological Society, London, Special Publication, 213, 420pp.
- Robock, A., and Oppenheimer, C. (editors), 2003, Volcanism and the Earth's atmosphere, American Geophysical Union, Geophysical Monograph, 139, 360pp.
- Oppenheimer, C., Moretti, R., Kyle, P., Eschenbacher, A., Lowenstern, J., & Hervig, R., in review, Mantle to surface degassing of alkalic magmas at Erebus volcano, Antarctica, submitted to Earth and Planetary Science Letters (preprint available on request).
- Martin, R.S., Sawyer, G.M., Spampinato, L., Salerno, G.G., Ramirez, C., Ilyinskaya, E., Witt, M.L.L., Mather, T.A., Allen, A.G., Watson, I.M., Phillips, J.C, & Oppenheimer, C., 2010, A total volatile inventory for Masaya volcano, Nicaragua, J. Geophys. Res., 115, B09215.
- Oppenheimer, C., P. Kyle, F. Eisele, J. Crawford, G. Huey, D. Tanner, S. Kim, L. Mauldin, D. Blake, A. Beyersdorf, M. Buhr, & D. Davis (2010), Atmospheric chemistry of an Antarctic volcanic plume, J. Geophys. Res., 115, D04303,
- Oppenheimer, C., 2010, Ultraviolet sensing of volcanic sulfur emissions, Elements, 6, 87–92.
- Oppenheimer, C. & Kyle, P.R., 2008, Probing the magma plumbing of Erebus volcano, Antarctica, by open-path FTIR spectroscopy of gas emissions, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 177, 743–754,
Personal Webpage: Clive Oppenheimer