- Parkinson's chromosome deletion linked to other genetic disorders
- Prof John Hardy is the first UK winner of $3m Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences
- John Hardy awarded 2015 Robert A. Pritzker Prize for Leadership in Parkinson's Research
- Video: Advances in Genetic Understanding of Parkinson's Disease
- GCH1 gene and Parkinson's risk
- The new Leonard Wolfson Experimental Neurology Centre (LWENC) has opened for clinical studies and trials
- LRRK2 and autophagy in fibroblasts
- LRRK2 and autophagy
- GBA and mitochondria
- Alpha-synuclein in LRRK2 brains
- α-Synucleinopathy associated with G51D SNCA mutation: A link between Parkinson’s disease and multiple system atrophy?
- Video: Parkinson's and the Genetic Revolution: From Genes to Treatments
- Public lecture: The autophagy signaling network, c-‐myc and pathology: don't mess with the cell cycle!
- Video: Brain Disease Research - Keeping You You
- Video: Degenerating Brains public symposium
- Mutations in VCP gene implicated in a number of neurodegenerative diseases
- Public lectures: new research into Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Motor Neuron Disease
- Blog: Degenerating neurons
- Global research team discovers new Alzheimer’s risk gene
- Direct Observation of the Interconversion of Normal and Toxic Forms of a-Synuclein
- Video: The genetics of LRRK2 by Nick Wood
- Video: Parkinson's UK site visit for the Targeting LRRK2 project
- Successes of Deep Brain Stimulation for patients with Parkinson's disease
- Recordings in Parkinson's disease patients reveal details of communication between deep and superficial brain structures
- Five new Parkinson's genes identified
Researchers, led by BRC-supported Professor Nicholas Wood, UCL Institute of Neurology, have made a breakthrough in their understanding of Parkinson’s disease after they discovered a chromosome deletion linked to Parkinson’s disease and other genetic disorders. More...
Professor John Hardy (UCL Institute of Neurology) has been awarded the $3 million Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences for his pioneering research into the genetic causes of Alzheimer’s disease, other forms of dementia and Parkinson’s disease. More...
One of the UK Parkinson's Disease Consortium Principal Investigators, Prof John Hardy, has been awarded the 2015 Robert A. Pritzker Prize for his leadership in Parkinson's genetics research. The award was presented by Michael J. Fox at a ceremony in New York on April 15. From the Michael J. Fox Foundation website: More...
Webcast of the presentation entitled ‘Advances in Genetic Understanding of Parkinson's Disease’ given by Nicholas Wood (University College London, United Kingdom) presented at the Biochemical Society Hot Topic event, PINK1-Parkin Signalling in Parkinson’s Disease and Beyond, held in December 2014. More...
A study published in Brain, led by researchers
at UCL Institute of Neurology, has shown that genetic mutations which
cause a decrease in dopamine
production in the brain and lead to a form of childhood-onset Dystonia,
also play a role in the development of Parkinson’s disease.
Video: Parkinson's and the Genetic Revolution: From Genes to Treatments
17 June 2013
The last ten years have seen a revolution in our understanding of genetics, demonstrated by the truly monumental sequencing of the human genome. This has, in turn, had a massive impact on the way in which we approach the research of human conditions -- including Parkinson's.
We now know that there are many genes that are linked to Parkinson's, and much of the research into this condition over the past decade has attempted to bridge the gap between identifying these genes and figuring out why they cause nerve cells to die.
In this lecture, we will take you on a journey
through the genetics of Parkinson's. We talk about how we as scientists
are using genetics to learn about the causes of the condition --
providing us with new potential targets in the hunt for better
The Gretschen Amphlet Memorial Lecture 2013. Film footage of the lecture and Q&A taken at Fitzwilliam College Cambridge on the 17 April 2013.
Page last modified on 17 jun 13 10:15