The Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology
Alice Stevenson | June 2015
Open Access PDF
About the book
The Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology ﬁrst opened its doors in 1915, and since then has attracted visitors from all over the world as well as providing valuable teaching resources. Named after its founder, the pioneering archaeologist Flinders Petrie, the Museum holds more than 80,000 objects and is one of the largest and finest collections of Egyptian and Sudanese archaeology in the world. Richly illustrated and engagingly written, the book moves back and forth between recent history and the ancient past, between objects and people. Experts discuss the discovery, history and care of key objects in the collections such as the Koptos lions and Roman era panel portraits. The rich and varied history of the Petrie Museum is revealed by the secrets that sit on its shelves.
About the editor
Alice Stevenson is the Curator of the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology, UCL. She was previously Researcher in World Archaeology at the Pitt Rivers Museum. Her academic specialisation is Predynastic and Early Dynastic Egyptian archaeology, but she has a broad range of interests including the history of archaeology, anthropology and museums. She has written and co-edited many works.
Enhanced ebook offers a wealth of extra features:
- Video, audio and 3D content
- Chronological or thematic navigation
- Slideshow and deep zoom options and extra pictures
- Compatible on any browser and device