Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Stan Newman
Telephone:020 7679 9476
Fax:020 7679 9426
Address:2nd Floor, Charles Bell House,
67-73 Riding House Street,
Appointments:Honorary Professor, Institute of Cardiovascular Science, Faculty of Population Health Sciences
Stanton Newman trained in neuropsychology in the USA and in clinical psychology in the UK. Establishing his research in the area of Health Psychology he also founded one of the first Health Psychology masters courses in the UK. In 1993 he was asked to head the Department of Psychiatry at UCL. He developed a multi-disciplinary approach to research and in 1994 the Department became Psychiatry Behavioural Sciences and has established an excellent record in research and teaching. He now heads the interdisciplinary Centre for Behavioural Social Sciences in Medicine. Stanton Newman has a specialist interest in cardiovascular disease, outcomes of cardiac surgery and interventions to encourage patients' behaviour change. He leads the Brain and Cardiac Surgery group at UCL which has an international reputation for its work on the impact of cardiac surgery on the brain and strategies to reduce neuropsychological complications. He also holds a regular clinic for patients referred from a number of surgical and medical departments. He has published widely in a range of medical and psychology journals. He has presented at many international conferences and co-authored ten books including The Brain and Cardiac Surgery: Causes of Neurological Complications and Their Prevention Harwood, 2000. His new book Chronic Physical illness: Self Management Behavioural Interventions is due out in 2008
- Minimally invasive approach in diagnosis and treatment of Breast Cancer
- Psychological Consequences and interventions in chronic illness and impact of surgery on the brain
- Religious/Spiritual aspects of illness adjustment in patients with breast cancer
- characterisation of the genetic and immunological
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Davies A,Rixon L,Newman S (2013) Systematic review of the effects of telecare provided for a person with social care needs on outcomes for their informal carers. Health Soc Care Community. 10.1111/hsc.12035.
- Henderson C,Knapp M,Fernández J-L,Beecham J,Hirani SP,Cartwright M,Rixon L,Beynon M,Rogers A,Bower P,Doll H,Fitzpatrick R,Steventon A,Bardsley M,Hendy J,Newman SP (2013) Cost effectiveness of telehealth for patients with long term conditions (Whole Systems Demonstrator telehealth questionnaire study): Nested economic evaluation in a pragmatic, cluster randomised controlled trial BMJ (Online), 346(7902).
- McBain H,Shipley M,Newman S,Rumsey N,Newell R,Thompson A,Charlton R,Harcourt D,Moss T,Clarke A,Clarke S-A,Byron-Daniel J,Jenkinson E,Saul K (2013) The Impact of Appearance Concerns on Depression and Anxiety in Rheumatoid Arthritis Musculoskeletal Care, 11(1), 19 - 30.
- Cartwright M,Hirani SP,Rixon L,Beynon M,Doll H,Bower P,Bardsley M,Steventon A,Knapp M,Henderson C,Rogers A,Sanders C,Fitzpatrick R,Barlow J,Newman SP,Whole Systems Demonstrator Evaluation Team (2013) Effect of telehealth on quality of life and psychological outcomes over 12 months (Whole Systems Demonstrator telehealth questionnaire study): nested study of patient reported outcomes in a pragmatic, cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ, 346, f653.
- Thuné-Boyle IC,Stygall J,Keshtgar MR,Davidson TI,Newman SP (2013) Religious/spiritual coping resources and their relationship with adjustment in patients newly diagnosed with breast cancer in the UK. Psychooncology, 22(3), 646 - 658. 10.1002/pon.3048.
- Griva K,Davenport A,Newman SP (2013) Health-related quality of life and long-term survival and graft failure in kidney transplantation: a 12-year follow-up study. Transplantation, 95(5), 740 - 749. 10.1097/TP.0b013e31827d9772.
- Griva K,Ng HJ,Loei J,Mooppil N,McBain H,Newman SP (2013) Managing treatment for end-stage renal disease - A qualitative study exploring cultural perspectives on facilitators and barriers to treatment adherence Psychology and Health, 28(1), 13 - 29.
- Royse CF,Chung F,Newman S,Stygall J,Wilkinson DJ (2013) Predictors of patient satisfaction with anaesthesia and surgery care: a cohort study using the Postoperative Quality of Recovery Scale. Eur J Anaesthesiol, 30(3), 106 - 110. 10.1097/EJA.0b013e328357e584.
- Cleanthous S,Newman SP,Shipley M,Isenberg DA,Cano SJ (2013) What constitutes uncertainty in systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis? Psychol Health, 28(2), 171 - 188. 10.1080/08870446.2012.701628.
- Fteropoulli T,Stygall J,Cullen S,Deanfield J,Newman SP (2013) Quality of life of adult congenital heart disease patients: a systematic review of the literature. Cardiol Young, 1 - 13. 10.1017/S1047951112002351.
- Nolte S,Elsworth GR,Newman S,Osborne RH (2012) Measurement issues in the evaluation of chronic disease self-management programs Quality of Life Research, 1 - 10.
- Cleanthous S,Tyagi M,Isenberg DA,Newman SP (2012) What do we know about self-reported fatigue in systemic lupus erythematosus? Lupus, 21(5), 465 - 476. 10.1177/0961203312436863.
- Steventon A,Bardsley M,Billings J,Dixon J,Doll H,Hirani S,Cartwright M,Rixon L,Knapp M,Henderson C,Rogers A,Fitzpatrick R,Hendy J,Newman S,Whole System Demonstrator Evaluation Team (2012) Effect of telehealth on use of secondary care and mortality: findings from the Whole System Demonstrator cluster randomised trial. BMJ, 344, e3874.
- Sanders C,Rogers A,Bowen R,Bower P,Hirani S,Cartwright M,Fitzpatrick R,Knapp M,Barlow J,Hendy J,Chrysanthaki T,Bardsley M,Newman SP (2012) Exploring barriers to participation and adoption of telehealth and telecare within the Whole System Demonstrator trial: a qualitative study. BMC Health Serv Res, 12, 220. 10.1186/1472-6963-12-220.
- Hendy J,Chrysanthaki T,Barlow J,Knapp M,Rogers A,Sanders C,Bower P,Bowen R,Fitzpatrick R,Bardsley M,Newman S (2012) An organisational analysis of the implementation of telecare and telehealth: The whole systems demonstrator BMC Health Services Research, 12(1).
- Thuné-Boyle ICV,Stygall J,Keshtgar M,Davidson T,Newman SP (2012) Religious/Spiritual coping resources and their relationship with adjustment in patients newly diagnosed with breast cancer in the UK Psycho-Oncology.
- Mulligan K,Mehta PA,Fteropoulli T,Dubrey SW,McIntyre HF,McDonagh TA,Sutton GC,Walker DM,Cowie MR,Newman S (2012) Newly diagnosed heart failure: change in quality of life, mood, and illness beliefs in the first 6 months after diagnosis. Br J Health Psychol, 17(3), 447 - 462. 10.1111/j.2044-8287.2011.02047.x.
- Cobb J,Cule E,Moncrieffe H,Flynn E,Hinks A,Patrick F,Kassoumeri L,Ursu S,Bulatovic M,Bohm M,van Zelst BD,Dolezalova P,De Jonge R,Wulffraat NM,Newman S,de Iorio M,Wedderburn LR,Thomson W (2012) Genome-Wide Association Study of Methotrexate Response Identifies Novel Genes in a Large Cohort of European Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Cases ARTHRITIS AND RHEUMATISM, 64(10), S1125 - S1125.
- Mcbain H,Shipley M,Newman S (2012) The Impact of Appearance Concerns on Depression and Anxiety in Rheumatoid Arthritis Musculoskeletal Care.
- Ciere Y,Cartwright M,Newman SP (2012) A systematic review of the mediating role of knowledge, self-efficacy and self-care behaviour in telehealth patients with heart failure. J Telemed Telecare, 18(7), 384 - 391. 10.1258/jtt.2012.111009.
- Baron J,McBain H,Newman S (2012) The impact of mobile monitoring technologies on glycosylated hemoglobin in diabetes: a systematic review. J Diabetes Sci Technol, 6(5), 1185 - 1196.
- Cobb J,Hinks A,Flynn E,Hirani S,Patrick F,Kassoumeri L,Ursu S,Moncrieffe H,Bulatovic M,Bohm M,van Zelst B,Dolezalova P,de Jonge R,Wulffraat N,Newman S,Thomson W,Wedderburn L (2012) GENOME-WIDE ASSOCIATION STUDY OF METHOTREXATE RESPONSE IDENTIFIES NOVEL GENES IN A LARGE COHORT OF EUROPEAN JUVENILE IDIOPATHIC ARTHRITIS CASES RHEUMATOLOGY, 51, 51 - 51.
- Griva K,Davenport A,Harrison M,Newman SP (2012) Non-adherence to Immunosuppressive Medications in Kidney Transplantation: Intent Vs. Forgetfulness and Clinical Markers of Medication Intake ANNALS OF BEHAVIORAL MEDICINE, 44(1), 85 - 93. 10.1007/s12160-012-9359-4.
- Griva K,Davenport A,Harrison M,Newman SP (2012) The impact of treatment transitions between dialysis and transplantation on illness cognitions and quality of life - a prospective study. Br J Health Psychol, 17(4), 812 - 827. 10.1111/j.2044-8287.2012.02076.x.
- Geenen R,Newman S,Bossema ER,Vriezekolk JE,Boelen PA (2012) Psychological interventions for patients with rheumatic diseases and anxiety or depression Best Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology, 26(3), 305 - 319.
- Royse CF,Andrews DT,Newman SN,Stygall J,Williams Z,Pang J,Royse AG (2011) The influence of propofol or desflurane on postoperative cognitive dysfunction in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery Anaesthesia.
- Thuné-Boyle ICV,Stygall J,Keshtgar M,Davidson T,Newman SP (2011) Religious coping strategies in patients diagnosed with breast cancer in the UK. Psycho-Oncology, 20, 771 - 782.
- Rader T,Ueffing E,Garcia-Elorrio E,Idzerda L,Ciapponi A,Irazola V,Welch V,Lyddiatt A,Shea B,Newman S,Osborne R,Tugwell PS (2011) Influencing health equity: Role of the effective consumer scale in measuring skills and abilities in a middle income country Journal of Rheumatology, 38(8), 1798 - 1802.
- Kirwan JR,Fries JF,Hewlett SE,Osborne RH,Newman S,Ciciriello S,Van De Laar MA,Dures E,Minnock P,Heiberg T,Sanderson TC,Flurey CA,Leong AL,Montie P,Richards PAM (2011) Patient perspective workshop: Moving towards OMERACT guidelines for choosing or developing instruments to measure patient-reported outcomes Journal of Rheumatology, 38(8), 1711 - 1715.
- Bower P,Cartwright M,Hirani SP,Barlow J,Hendy J,Knapp M,Henderson C,Rogers A,Sanders C,Bardsley M,Steventon A,Fitzpatrick R,Doll H,Newman S (2011) A comprehensive evaluation of the impact of telemonitoring in patients with long-term conditions and social care needs: Protocol for the whole systems demonstrator cluster randomised trial BMC Health Services Research, 11.
- Thuné-Boyle ICV,Stygall J,Keshtgar MRS,Davidson TI,Newman SP (2011) The Impact of a Breast Cancer Diagnosis on Religious/Spiritual Beliefs and Practices in the UK Journal of Religion and Health, 50(2), 203 - 218.
- Baron J,Newman S (2011) A systematic review of the effectiveness of mobile health interventions for the management of diabetes INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INTEGRATED CARE, 11.
- Royse CF,Andrews DT,Newman SN,Stygall J,Williams Z,Pang J,Royse AG (2011) The influence of propofol or desflurane on postoperative cognitive dysfunction in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery ANAESTHESIA, 66(6), 455 - 464. 10.1111/j.1365-2044.2011.06704.x.
- James H,Jenkinson E,Harrad R,Ezra DG,Newman S,ARC (2011) Appearance concerns in ophthalmic patients EYE, 25(8), 1039 - 1044. 10.1038/eye.2011.116.
- Cleanthous S,Newman S,Shipley M,Ehrenstein MR,Isenberg D,Cano S (2011) EXPLORING PATIENT UNCERTAINTY IN RHEUMATIC CONDITIONS: COMPARING THE VIEWS OF HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS AND PATIENTS IN A QUALITATIVE DESIGN RHEUMATOLOGY, 50, 83 - 83.
- Au C,James H,Mackenzie K,Hancox J,Ezra D,Adams G,Newman S (2011) THE PSYCHOLOGICAL STATUS OF ADULTS WITH STRABISMUS SEEKING SURGERY CLIN EXP OPHTHALMOL, 39, 73 - 74.
- Griva K,Mooppil N,Seet P,Krishnan DSP,James H,Newman SP (2011) The NKF-NUS hemodialysis trial protocol - a randomized controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of a self management intervention for hemodialysis patients BMC NEPHROLOGY, 12. 10.1186/1471-2369-12-4.
- Wilson MH,Edsell MEG,Davagnanam I,Hirani SP,Martin DS,Levett DZH,Thornton JS,Golay X,Strycharczuk L,Newman SP,Montgomery HE,Grocott MPW,Imray CHE (2011) Cerebral artery dilatation maintains cerebral oxygenation at extreme altitude and in acute hypoxia-an ultrasound and MRI study Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism.
- Wilson MH,Edsell MEG,Davagnanam I,Hirani SP,Martin DS,Levett DZH,Thornton JS,Golay X,Strycharczuk L,Newman SP,Montgomery HE,Grocott MPW,Imray CHE (2011) Cerebral artery dilatation maintains cerebral oxygenation at extreme altitude and in acute hypoxiaan ultrasound and MRI study Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, 31(10), 2019 - 2029.
- Buchbinder R,Batterham R,Ciciriello S,Newman S,Horgan B,Ueffing E,Rader T,Tugwell PS,Osborne RH (2011) Health literacy: What is it and why is it important to measure? Journal of Rheumatology, 38(8), 1791 - 1797.
- Royse CF,Newman S,Chung F,Stygall J,McKay RE,Boldt J,Servin FS,Hurtado I,Hannallah R,Yu B,Wilkinson DJ (2010) Development and feasibility of a scale to assess postoperative recovery : The post-operative quality recovery scale Anesthesiology, 113(4), 892 - 905.
- Barlow C,Cooke D,Muliigan K,Beck E,Newman S (2010) A critical review of self-management and educational interventions in Inflammatory Bowel Disease Gastroenterology Nursing, 33(1), 11 - 18. 10.1097/SGA.0b013e3181ca03cc.
- Patel RV,Stgall J,Harrington J,Newman SP,Haddad FS (2010) Cerebral Microembolisation during Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty and Neuropsychologic Outcome: A Pilot Study Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 468, 1621 - 1629. 10.1007/s11999-009-1140-z.
- Griva K,Stygall J,Hankins M,Davenport A,Harrison M,Newman SP (2010) Cognitive impairment and 7-year mortality in dialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis, 56(4), 693 - 703. 10.1053/j.ajkd.2010.07.003.
- Griva K,Davenport A,Harrison M,Newman S (2010) An evaluation of illness, treatment perceptions, and depression in hospital- vs. home-based dialysis modalities. J Psychosom Res, 69(4), 363 - 370. 10.1016/j.jpsychores.2010.04.008.
- Newman SP,Cooke D,Casbard A,Walker S,Meredith S,Nunn A,Steed L,Manca A,Sculpher M,Barnard M,Kerr D,Weaver J,Ahlquist J,Hurel SJ (2009) A randomised controlled trial to compare minimally invasive glucose monitoring devices with conventional monitoring in the management of insulin-treated diabetes mellitus (MITRE) Health Technology Assessment, 13(28), ix - 216.
- Cooke D,Patel S,Newman S (2009) Facilitating self-management through telemedicine and interactive health communication applications, 120 - 131.
- Kirwan JR,Newman S,Tugwell PS,Wells GA,Hewlett S,Idzera L,Laslo B,March LM,Minnock P,Montie P,Nicklin J,Rader T,Richards P,Sanderson TC,Suarez-Almazor M,Tanjong-Ghogomu E,Ueffing E,Welch V (2009) Progress on incorporating the patient perspective in outcome assessment in rheumatology and the emergence of life impact measures at OMERACT 9 Journal of Rheumatology, 36(9), 2071 - 2076.
- Cleanthous S,Cooke D,Hirani S,Kirk A,Isenberg D,Newman S (2009) SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS: CONCORDANCE AND ACCURACY OF PATIENT AND PHYSICIAN EXPECTATIONS OF PHYSICAL FUNCTIONING RHEUMATOLOGY, 48, I46 - I46.
- Patel RV,Stygall J,Harrington J,Newman S,Haddad F (2009) Intra-operative cerebral microembolisation during primary hybrid total hip arthroplasty compared with primary hip resurfacing Acta Orthopaedica Belgica, 75, 671 - 677.
There are no biographical details to display
- Brain injury
- Cerebral blood flow
- Clinical trials
- Neuropsychological testing
- Newur and Psycholosocial outcomes & interventi