Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Paul Higgs
Telephone:0207 679 9466
Address:Charles Bell House,
67-73 Riding House St,
Appointments:Professor of Sociology of Ageing, Mental Health Sciences Unit, Faculty of Brain Sciences
I studied for a BSc in Sociology at the Polytechnic of North London and A PhD in Social Policy at Kent University. Before I moved to UCL in 1994 I was the Eleanor Peel Lecturer in Social Gerontology at St George's Hospital Medical School, London. At UCL I was variously Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Reader in Medical Sociology. I am currently Professor of the Sociology of Ageing and was elected as an academician of the Academy of Social Sciences in 2012.
My research interests stem from work I have conducted with Dr Chris Gilleard which has been published in two books 'Cultures of ageing:Self citizen and society' (2000) and 'Contexts of ageing: Class, cohort and community' (2005). These books led directly to an ESRC/AHRC funded project 'From passive to active consumers: Older people's consumption 1998-2001'. I have also co-authored a book 'Medical sociology and old age'(2009) with Ian Rees Jones of Bangor University. Another book with Chris Gilleard on the embodiment of ageing will be published in 2013. From 2009 to 2011 I was a co-organiser (with Karen Lowton of KCL and Karen Ballard of Surrey University) an ESRC funded seminar series on 'new ageing populations'. In 2012 I began (with Karen Lowton) an 18 month ESRC funded proct on adult survivors of child liver transplants.
- Health care professional - patient communication/interactions
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Formosa M,Higgs P (2013) Social Class in Later Life.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2013) Ageing, Corporeality and Embodiment.
- Jones Ir ,Higgs P (2013) Class and health inequality in later life.
- Higgs PF,Formosa M (2013) Social Class in Later Life, 169 - 181.
- Higgs PF (2012) Later Life as an arena of change, 9 - 23.
- Higgs PF,McGowan F (2012) Aging, embodiment and the negotiation of the Third and Fourth Ages, 21 - 34.
- Higgs PF (2012) Consuming Bodies: Zygmunt Bauman on the Difference Between Fitness and Health.
- Moffatt S,Higgs P,Rummery K,Jones IR (2012) Choice, consumerism and devolution: growing old in the welfare state(s) of Scotland, Wales and England AGEING & SOCIETY, 32, 725 - 746. 10.1017/S0144686X11000602.
- Craig GM,Higgs P (2012) Risk owners and risk managers: Dealing with the complexity of feeding children with neurodevelopmental disability HEALTH RISK & SOCIETY, 14(7-8), 627 - 637. 10.1080/13698575.2012.717610.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2011) Ageing abjection and embodiment in the fourth age J AGING STUD, 25(2), 135 - 142. 10.1016/j.jaging.2010.08.018.
- Higgs PF,gilleard C (2011) Consumption and aging, 361 - 378.
- Higgs PF (2011) The third age as a cultural field, 33 - 50.
- Scambler G,Higgs P,Levinson R,Graham R (2011) Changing times: Social Theory & Health into the second decade of the twenty-first century SOCIAL THEORY & HEALTH, 9(1), 1 - 2. 10.1057/sth.2010.14.
- Stevenson F,Higgs PF (2011) ‘Ageing well’: competing discourses and tensions in the management of knee pain Health Sociology Review, 20, 369 - 377.
- Scherger S,Nazroo J,Higgs P (2011) Leisure activities and retirement: do structures of inequality change in old age? Ageing and Society, 31(1), 146 - 172. 10.1017/S0144686X10000577.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2011) Frailty, disability and old age: a re-appraisal. Health (London), 15(5), 475 - 490. 10.1177/1363459310383595.
- Daneski K,Higgs P,Morgan M (2011) How far can Foucault take us? An analysis of the changing discourses and limitations of the medical treatment of apoplexy and stroke HEALTH, 15(4), 369 - 384. 10.1177/1363459310367439.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2010) Aging without agency: theorizing the fourth age. Aging Ment Health, 14(2), 121 - 128. 10.1080/13607860903228762.
- Jones IR,Higgs PF (2010) The natural, the normal and the normative: contested terrains in ageing and old age. Soc Sci Med, 71(8), 1513 - 1519. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2010.07.022.
- Leontowitsch M,Higgs P,Stevenson F,Jones IR (2010) Taking care of yourself in later life: A qualitiative study into the use of non-prescription medicines by people aged 60+ Health, 14(2), 213 - 231. 10.1177/1363459309347479.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2010) Aging without agency: Theorizing the forth age Aging & Mental Health, 14(2), 121 - 128. 10.1080/13607860903228762.
- Daneski K,Higgs P,Morgan M (2010) From gluttony to obesity: moral discourses on apoplexy and stroke Sociology of Health & Illness, 32(5), 730 - 744. 10.1111/j.1467-9566.2010.01247.x.
- Jones I,Higgs P (2010) THE NATURAL AND THE NORMAL: CONFLICTING DISCOURSES OF AGEING GERONTOLOGIST, 50, 53 - 53.
- Higgs P,Gilleard CJ (2010) FRAILTY, DISABILITY AND OLD AGE: A REAPPRAISAL GERONTOLOGIST, 50, 528 - 528.
- Jones I,Leontowitsch M,Higgs P (2010) The Experience of Retirement in Second Modernity: Generational Habitus among Retired Senior Managers Sociology, 44(1), 103 - 120. 10.1177/0038038509351610.
- Higgs P,Gilleard C (2010) Generational conflict, consumption and the ageing welfare state in the United Kingdom Ageing & Society, 30(8), 1439 - 1451. 10.1017/S0144686X10000425.
- Gilleard CJ,Higgs P (2010) FRAILTY AND ABJECTION IN DEFINING THE SOCIAL IMAGINARY OF THE FOURTH AGE GERONTOLOGIST, 50, 53 - 53.
- Higgs P,Hyde M,Gilleard CJ,Victor CR,Wiggins RD,Jones IR (2009) From passive to active consumers? Later life consumption in the UK from 1968-2005 The Sociological Review, 57(1), 102 - 124. 10.1111/j.1467-954X2008.01806.x.
- HIGGS P,Nazroo J (2009) Brocklehurst's textbook of geriatric medicine and gerontology, 187 - 192.
- Higgs P,Leontowitsch M,Stevenson F,Jones IR (2009) Not just old and sick - the 'will to health' in later life Ageing and Society, 29(5), 687 - 707. 10.1017/S0144686X08008271.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2009) The power of silver: age and identity politics in the 21st century. J Aging Soc Policy, 21(3), 277 - 295. 10.1080/08959420902955917.
- Nikander P,Marshall V,Higgs P,Andrews M (2009) Critical and reflective gerontology- Walking the talk: becoming one’s own data as a critical scholar AGEING & SOCIETY, 29(4), 649 - 658. 10.1017/S0144686X09008423.
- Higgs PF,Hyde M,Gilleard CJ,Victor CR,Wiggins RD,Jones IR (2009) From passive to active consumers? Later life consumption in the UK from 1968-2005 SOCIOL REV, 57(1), 102 - 124. 10.1111/j.1467-954X.2008.01806.x.
- Hyde M,Higgs P,Newman S (2009) The health profile of ageing populations, 3 - 27.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2009) The Power of Silver: Age and Identity Politics in the 21st Century Journal of Aging and Social Policy, 21, 277 - 295. 10.1080/08959420902955917.
- Higgs P,Jones I (2008) New Agenda for a Sociology of Health in Later Life Gerontologist, 48, 155.
- Charlesworth G,Higgs P,Poland F (2008) Complementarity of welfare provision in the 'mixed economy' of care for carers of people with dementia: a longitudinal study, 1 - 25.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2008) Promoting mental health in later life. Aging Ment Health, 12(3), 283 - 284. 10.1080/13607860802102407.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2008) THE THIRD AGE AND THE BABY BOOMERS: TWO CONTRASTING APPROACHES TO THE INTERPRETATION OF THE CHANGES TO LATER LIFE GERONTOLOGIST, 48, 446 - 446.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2008) Internet use and the digital divide in the English longitudinal study of ageing EUR J AGEING, 5(3), 233 - 239. 10.1007/s10433-008-0083-7.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2008) Internet use and the digital divide in the English longitudinal study of ageing European Journal of Ageing, 5, 233 - 239. 10.1007/s10433-008-0083-7.
- Gilleard C,Higgs P (2008) The Third Age and the Baby Boomers: Two Contrasting Approaches to the Interpretation of the Changes to Later Life Gerontologist, 48(446).
- Wiggins RD,Netuveli G,Hyde M,Higgs P,Blane D (2008) The Evaluation of a Self-Enumerated Scale of Quality of Life (CASP-19) in the Context of Research on Ageing: A Combination of Exploratory and Confirmatory Approaches Social Indicators Research, 89, 61 - 77. 10.1007/s11205-007-9220-5.
- Gilleard C,Hyde M,Higgs P (2007) Community and communication in the third age: the impact of internet and cell phone use on attachment to place in later life in England. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 62(4), S276 - S283.
- Leontowitsch M,Higgs P,Stevenson F,Jones IR (2007) New contract runs risk of distracting pharmacists from helping the over 60s The Pharmaceutical Journal, 278(7450), 520 - 520.
- Higgs P (2007) Social theory and aging AGEING & SOCIETY, 27, 453 - 455. 10.1017/S0144686X06005873.
- Gilleard C,Hyde M,Higgs P (2007) Age, Generation and Social Networks The Gerontologist, 47(spec iss 1), 197 - 197.
- Higgs P,Evandrou M,Gilleard C,Hyde M,Jones IR,Victor V,Wiggins R (2007) Ageing and consumptions patterns in Britain 1968-2001 Generation Review, Newsletter of the British Society of Gerontology, 17(2).
- Moffat S,Higgs P (2007) Charity or Entitlement? Generation Habitus and the Welfare State Among Older People in North-east England Social Policy and Administration, 41(5), 449 - 464.
- Gilleard C,Hyde M,Higgs P (2007) The Impact of Age, Place, Aging in Place and Attachment to Place on the Well-Being of the Over 50s in England Research on Aging, 29(6), 590 - 605. 10.1177/0164027507305730.
BiographyI studied for a BSc in Sociology at the Polytechnic of North London and A PhD in Social Policy at Kent University. Before I moved to UCL in 1994 I was the Eleanor Peel Lecturer in Social Gerontology at St George's Hospital Medical School, London. At UCL I was variously Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Reader in Medical Sociology. I am currently Professor of the Sociology of Ageing and was elected as an academician of the Academy of Social Sciences in 2012.
- 1988: Doctor of Philosophy, University of Kent
- 1982: Bachelor of Science (Honours), Polytechnic of North London