Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Dr Mai Stafford
Telephone:0044 20 7670 5712
Address:3rd floor MRC Unit for Lifelong Health and Ageing,
33 Bedford Place,
Appointments:Reader in Social Epidemiology, MRC Unit for Lifelong Health & Ageing, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
Mai has recently been looking at the links between neighbourhood environments and health, examining factors such as neighbourhood deprivation, social capital, ethnic density and segregation. Her work also has a methodological focus on multilevel modelling to investigate contextual effects on health. In 2010 she joined the MRC Unit for Lifelong Health and Ageing and is using data from the 1946 British birth cohort study to look at the social environment, health and ageing. Prior to that, she worked on a range of UK datasets, including the English Longitudinal Study for Ageing and the Whitehall II study.
- Neighbourhoods and health
- Social participation, ageing and wellbeing
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Hurst L,Stafford M,Cooper R,Hardy R,Richards M,Kuh D (2013) Lifetime Socioeconomic Inequalities in Physical and Cognitive Aging. Am J Public Health. 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301240.
- Cooper R,Stafford M,Hardy R,Aihie Sayer A,Ben-Shlomo Y,Cooper C,Craig L,Deary IJ,Gallacher J,McNeill G,Starr JM,Kuh D,Gale CR (2013) Physical capability and subsequent positive mental wellbeing in older people: findings from five HALCyon cohorts Age, 1 - 12.
- Stafford M,Black S,Shah I,Hardy R,Pierce M,Richards M,Wong A,Kuh D (2013) Using a birth cohort to study ageing: representativeness and response rates in the National Survey of Health and Development. Eur J Ageing, 10(2), 145 - 157. 10.1007/s10433-013-0258-8.
- Stafford M,Black S,Shah I,Hardy R,Pierce M,Richards M,Wong A,Kuh D (2013) Using a birth cohort to study ageing: representativeness and response rates in the National Survey of Health and Development European Journal of Ageing, 1 - 13.
- Maughan B,Stafford M,Shah I,Kuh D (2013) Adolescent conduct problems and premature mortality: follow-up to age 65 years in a national birth cohort. Psychol Med, 1 - 10. 10.1017/S0033291713001402.
- Stafford M,Gardner M,Kumari M,Kuh D,Ben-Shlomo Y (2013) Social isolation and diurnal cortisol patterns in an ageing cohort. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2013.07.002.
- Yin Z,Conti S,Desai S,Stafford M,Slater W,Gill ON,Simms I (2013) The geographic relationship between sexual health deprivation and the Index of Multiple Deprivation 2010: a comparison of two indices SEXUAL HEALTH, 10(2), 102 - 111. 10.1071/SH12057.
- Becares L,Stafford M,Shaw R,Nazroo J,Albor C,Atkin C,Kiernan K,Wilkinson R,Pickett K (2012) Ethnic density effects on physical morbidity, mortality and health behaviours: A systematic review of the literature American Journal of Public Health, 102((12)), e33 - e66.
- Shaw RJ,Atkin K,Becares L,Albor CB,Stafford M,Kiernan KE,Nazroo JY,Wilkinson RG,Pickett KE (2012) Impact of ethnic density on adult mental disorders: narrative review BRITISH JOURNAL OF PSYCHIATRY, 201(1), 11 - 19. 10.1192/bjp.bp.110.083675.
- Hurst L,Stafford M,Cooper R,Richards M,Kuh D (2012) LIFETIME SOCIOECONOMIC INEQUALITIES IN PHYSICAL AND COGNITIVE AGEING JOURNAL OF EPIDEMIOLOGY AND COMMUNITY HEALTH, 66, A45 - A46. 10.1136/jech-2012-201753.118.
- Bécares L,Nazroo J,Albor C,Chandola T,Stafford M (2012) Examining the differential association between self-rated health and area deprivation among white British and ethnic minority people in England. Soc Sci Med, 74(4), 616 - 624. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.11.007.
- Stafford M,Soljak M,Pledge V,Mindell J (2012) Socio-economic differences in the health-related quality of life impact of cardiovascular conditions. Eur J Public Health, 22(3), 301 - 305. 10.1093/eurpub/ckr007.
- Lacey RE,Bartley M,Pikhart H,Stafford M,Cable N,Coleman L (2012) Parental separation and adult psychological distress: evidence for the 'reduced effect' hypothesis? Longitudinal and Life Course Studies, 3(3), 359 - 368.
- Kouvonen A,De Vogli R,Stafford M,Shipley MJ,Marmot MG,Cox T,Vahtera J,Väänänen A,Heponiemi T,Singh-Manoux A,Kivimäki M (2012) Social support and the likelihood of maintaining and improving levels of physical activity: the Whitehall II Study. Eur J Public Health, 22(4), 514 - 518. 10.1093/eurpub/ckr091.
- Popay J,Whitehead M,Badland H,Stafford M,Nazroo J,Dibbens C,Halliday E,Povall S (2012) EVALUATING THE HEALTH INEQUALITIES IMPACT OF THE NEW DEAL FOR COMMUNITIES INITIATIVE JOURNAL OF EPIDEMIOLOGY AND COMMUNITY HEALTH, 66, A3 - A4. 10.1136/jech-2012-201753.008.
- Johnson S,Osborn DP,Araya R,Wearn E,Paul M,Stafford M,Wellman N,Nolan F,Killaspy H,Lloyd-Evans B,Anderson E,Wood SJ (2012) Morale in the English mental health workforce: questionnaire survey. Br J Psychiatry, 201(3), 239 - 246. 10.1192/bjp.bp.111.098970.
- Kouvonen A,Swift JA,Stafford M,Cox T,Vahtera J,Väänänen A,Heponiemi T,De Vogli R,Griffiths A,Kivimäki M (2012) Social participation and maintaining recommended waist circumference: prospective evidence from the English Longitudinal Study of Aging. J Aging Health, 24(2), 250 - 268. 10.1177/0898264311421960.
- Sheringham J,Mann S,Simms I,Stafford M,Hart G,Raine R (2012) It matters what you measure: A systematic literature review examining whether young people in poorer socioeconomic circumstances are more at risk of chlamydia Sex Transm Infec. 10.1136/sextrans-2011-050223.
- Becares L,Nazroo J,Albor C,Chandola T,Stafford M (2011) SELF-RATED HEALTH AND AREA DEPRIVATION: EXPLORING A DIFFERENTIAL ASSOCIATION AMONG WHITE BRITISH AND ETHNIC MINORITY PEOPLE IN ENGLAND J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 65, A7 - A7. 10.1136/jech.2011.143586.15.
- Becares L,Nazroo J,Albor C,Chandola T,Stafford M (2011) EXAMINING THE DIFFERENTIAL ASSOCIATION BETWEEN SELF-RATED HEALTH AND AREA DEPRIVATION AMONG WHITE BRITISH AND ETHNIC MINORITY PEOPLE IN ENGLAND J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 65, A9 - A9. 10.1136/jech.2011.142976a.18.
- Becares L,Stafford M,Laurence J,Nazroo J (2011) Composition, Concentration and Deprivation: Exploring their Association with Social Cohesion among Different Ethnic Groups in the UK URBAN STUD, 48(13), 2771 - 2787. 10.1177/0042098010391295.
- Stafford M,Newbold BK,Ross NA (2011) Psychological distress among immigrants and visible minorities in Canada: a contextual analysis. Int J Soc Psychiatry, 57(4), 428 - 441. 10.1177/0020764010365407.
- Zaman MJ,Shipley MJ,Stafford M,Brunner EJ,Timmis AD,Marmot MG,Hemingway H (2011) Incidence and prognosis of angina pectoris in South Asians and Whites: 18 years of follow-up over seven phases in the Whitehall-II prospective cohort study. J Public Health (Oxf), 33(3), 430 - 438. 10.1093/pubmed/fdq093.
- Becares L,Nazroo J,Stafford M (2011) The ethnic density effect on alcohol use among ethnic minority people in the UK. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 65, 20 - 25.
- Stafford M,McMunn A,De Vogli R (2011) Neighbourhood social environment and depressive symptoms in mid-life and beyond Ageing & Society, 31, 893 - 970. 10.1017/S0144686X10001236.
- LACEY RE,Cable N,Stafford M,Bartley M,Pikhart H (2011) Childhood socio-economic position and adult smoking: are childhood psychosocial factors important? Evidence from a British birth cohort European Journal of Public Health, 21(6), 725 - 731. 10.1093/eurpub/ckq179.
- Stafford M,McMunn A,Zaninotto P,Nazroo J (2011) Positive and negative exchanges in social relationships as predictors of depression: evidence from the English Longitudinal Study of Aging. J Aging Health, 23(4), 607 - 628. 10.1177/0898264310392992.
- Kumari M,Shipley M,Stafford M,Kivimaki M (2011) Association of diurnal patterns in salivary cortisol with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality: findings from the Whitehall II study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 96(5), 1478 - 1485. 10.1210/jc.2010-2137.
- Goodman A,Wilkinson P,Stafford M,Tonne C (2011) Characterising socio-economic inequalities in exposure to air pollution: A comparison of socio-economic markers and scales of measurement HEALTH PLACE, 17(3), 767 - 774. 10.1016/j.healthplace.2011.02.002.
- Kouvonen A,Stafford M,De Vogli R,Shipley MJ,Marmot MG,Cox T,Vahtera J,Väänänen A,Heponiemi T,Singh-Manoux A,Kivimäki M (2011) Negative aspects of close relationships as a predictor of increased body mass index and waist circumference: the Whitehall II study. Am J Public Health, 101(8), 1474 - 1480. 10.2105/AJPH.2010.300115.
- Pierce MB,Silverwood R,Hardy R,Adams J,Black S,Deanfield J,Franklyn JA,Richards M,Stafford M,Stephens AM,MacFarlane P,Nitsch D,Ong K,Kuh D,NSHD Sci Team ,Data Collection Team (2011) CLINICAL PROBLEMS IN A POST WAR BRITISH COHORT REACHING RETIREMENT: EVIDENCE FROM THE FIRST BRITISH BIRTH COHORT STUDY J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 65. 10.1136/jech.2011.143586.66.
- Scheiwe A,Kelly Y,Stafford M,Watt R (2011) A GOOD PLACE FOR BRINGING UP CHILDREN? MOTHER'S NEIGHBOURHOOD PERCEPTIONS AND CHILDREN'S BEHAVIOURAL DEVELOPMENT IN THE MILLENNIUM COHORT STUDY J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 65. 10.1136/jech.2011.143586.14.
- Howden-Chapman PL,Chandola T,Stafford M,Marmot M (2011) The effect of housing on the mental health of older people: the impact of lifetime housing history in Whitehall II. BMC Public Health, 11, 682. 10.1186/1471-2458-11-682.
- Lacey R,Bartley M,Pikhart H,Cable N,Stafford M (2010) PARENTAL SEPARATION AND PSYCHOLOGICAL DISTRESS IN EARLY ADULTHOOD: HAS THE EFFECT REDUCED OVER TIME? EVIDENCE FROM TWO BRITISH BIRTH COHORT STUDIES J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 64, A4 - A4. 10.1136/jech.2010.120956.10.
- Stafford M,Brunner EJ,Head J,Ross NA (2010) Deprivation and the development of obesity a multilevel, longitudinal study in England. Am J Prev Med, 39(2), 130 - 139. 10.1016/j.amepre.2010.03.021.
- (2010) Financial circumstances, health and well-being of the older population in England. The 2008 English Longitudinal Study of Ageing.
- Lacey R,Cable N,Stafford M,Bartley M,Pikhart H (2010) CHILDHOOD SOCIOECONOMIC POSITION AND ADULT SMOKING: ARE CHILDHOOD COGNITIVE ABILITY, PSYCHOSOCIAL ADJUSTMENT AND PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT IMPORTANT? J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 64, A42 - A42. 10.1136/jech.2010.120477.22.
- Stafford M,Bartley M (2010) Local health and resources.
- Stafford M,Becares L,Nazroo Y (2010) Racial discrimination and health: exploring the possible protective effects of ethnic density, 3.
- Sheringham J,Sowden S,Stafford M,Simms I,Raine R (2009) Monitoring inequalities in the National Chlamydia Screening Programme in England: added value of ACORN, a commercial geodemographic classification tool. Sexual Health, 6(1), 57 - 62.
- Stafford M,McMunn A,De Vogli R (2009) COLLECTIVE EFFICACY AND DEPRESSIVE SYMPTOMS IN MID-LIFE AND BEYOND GERONTOLOGIST, 49, 496 - 496.
- Snelgrove J,Pikhart H,Stafford M (2009) A multilevel analysis of social capital and self-rated health: Evidence from the British Household Panel Survey. Social Science and Medicine, 68(11), 1993 - 2001. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.03.011.
- Kumari M,Badrick E,Adam EK,Stafford M,Chandola T,Marmot M,Kivimaki M (2009) Cortisol secretion and fatigue: associations in a community based cohort Psychoneuroendocrinology, 34(10), 1476 - 1485.
- Stafford M,Becares L,Nazroo J (2009) Objective and perceived ethnic density and health: findings from a UK general population survey. American Journal of Epidemiology, 170(4), 484 - 493.
- Becares L,Stafford M,Nazroo J (2009) Fear of racism, employment and expected organizational racism: their association with health., 19(5), 504 - 510.
- Becares L,Nazroo J,Stafford M (2009) The buffering effects of ethnic density on experienced racism and health. Health and Place, 15, 670 - 678.
- Jackson J,Stafford M (2009) Public health and fear of crime: a prospective cohort study The British Journal of Criminology: an international review of crime and society, 49(6), 832 - 847.
- Stafford M,De Silva M,Stansfeld S,Marmot M (2008) Neighbourhood social capital and common mental disorder: testing the link in a general population sample. Health Place, 14(3), 394 - 405. 10.1016/j.healthplace.2007.08.006.
- Stafford M,Duke-Williams O,Shelton N (2008) Area inequalities in health: are we underestimating them? Social Science and Medicine, 67, 891 - 899.
- Brunner EJ,Mosdol A,Witte D,Martikainen PT,Stafford M,Shipley MJ,Marmot MG (2008) Dietary pattern and risks of mortality, major coronary events and diabetes over 15 years of follow-up American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 87(5), 1414 - 1421.
- 1993: Master of Science, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- 1991: Bachelor of Science, University of Nottingham
- Epidemiology research
- Ethnic health
- Longitudinal analysis
- Medical geography
- Medical sociology
- Multilevel models
- Psychosocial research
- Public health
- multilevel modelling
- social capital