Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Michael Marmot
Telephone:+44 (0)207 679 1694
Address:G39 UCL Institute of Health Equity/ Research Department of Epidemiology and Public Health,
1-19 Torrington Place,
Appointments:Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health, Epidemiology & Public Health, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
Marmot's research has been devoted to establishing the chain of disease causation from the social environment, through psychosocial influences, biological pathways, to risk of cardiovascular and other diseases. In studies of Japanese migrants to the USA and migrants to Britain from a number of countries, he showed that disease rates change. The longer the migrant has been in the new country, the more closely rates of disease resemble those of the new country. A specific object of investigation was the high rates of cardiovascular disease and diabetes among immigrants from the Indian subcontinent. This defied the usual explanations. Marmot showed it was related to the metabolic syndrome related to insulin resistance and the resultant lipid disturbances. This same set of biological mechanisms proved important to the inverse social gradient in cardiovascular disease in Britain. Marmot's studies of civil servants showed that the lower the status, the higher was the risk. Plasma fibrinogen and the metabolic syndrome mediate much of this excess risk. Marmot produced evidence linking low control at work to the increased risk of cardiovascular disease. He and his colleagues have good evidence that psychosocial stress pathways are involved in the metabolic disturbances observed. It is these pathways that provide the most promising explanation for the new phenomenon that they are investigating: the dramatic increase in cardiovascular disease and drop in life expectancy that occurred in Russia and other former communist countries of Central and Eastern Europe. A new thrust of the research is its application to an ageing population.
Professor Marmot was Chair of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health set up by the World Health Organization in 2005: Closing the Gap in a Generation. At the request of the British Government, he conducted a review of health inequalities in England, which published its report 'Fair Society, Healthy Lives' in February 2010.
Michael Marmot has also been invited by the Regional Director of WHO Euro to lead the European Review of Social Determinants of Health and the Health Divide, which will report in September 2012. He has also agreed to chair the Breast Screening Review for the NHS National Cancer Action Team. In November 2011 Marmot launched the UCL Institute of Health Equity. The new Institute is supported by the Department of Health, UCL and the BMA. It will seek to increase health equity through action on the social determinants of health, specifically in four areas: by influencing global, national and local policies; by advising on and learning from practice; by building the evidence base, and; by developing capacity. For more information on the English and European Reviews and other projects that the Institute is involved with, please see http://www.instituteofhealthequity.org/
- A life course approach to the study of adult physical capability
- Cardiovascular disease
- Determinants of health and rapid social change
- Gender divisions in paid and unpaid labour
- Parental employment, domestic labour, family structure and child behaviour Internal
- Psychobiology of health and disease
- Social determinants of health
- Social participation, ageing and wellbeing
- lifecourse epidemiology
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Elovainio M,Singh-Manoux A,Ferrie JE,Shipley M,Gimeno D,De Vogli R,Vahtera J,Virtanen M,Jokela M,Marmot MG,Kivimäki M (2012) Organisational justice and cognitive function in middle-aged employees: the Whitehall II study. J Epidemiol Community Health, 66(6), 552 - 556. 10.1136/jech.2010.113407.
- Marmot M,Bell R (2011) Social determinants and dental health. Adv Dent Res, 23(2), 201 - 206. 10.1177/0022034511402079.
- Kivimäki M,Batty GD,Hamer M,Ferrie JE,Vahtera J,Virtanen M,Marmot MG,Singh-Manoux A,Shipley MJ (2011) Using additional information on working hours to predict coronary heart disease: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med, 154(7), 457 - 463. 10.1059/0003-4819-154-7-201104050-00003.
- Stringhini S,Dugravot A,Shipley M,Goldberg M,Zins M,Kivimaki M,Marmot MG,Sabia S,Singh-Manoux A (2011) Health behaviours, socioeconomic status, and mortality: further analyses of the British Whitehall II and French GAZEL prospective cohorts. PLoS Med, 8(2). 10.1371/journal.pmed.1000419.
- Friel S,Marmot MG (2011) Action on the social determinants of health and health inequities goes global. Annu Rev Public Health, 32, 225 - 236. 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031210-101220.
- Laaksonen E,Lallukka T,Lahelma E,Ferrie JE,Rahkonen O,Head J,Marmot MG,Martikainen P (2011) Economic difficulties and physical functioning in Finnish and British employees: contribution of social and behavioural factors. Eur J Public Health, 21(4), 456 - 462. 10.1093/eurpub/ckq089.
- Hamer M,Batty GD,Marmot MG,Singh-Manoux A,Kivimäki M (2011) Anti-depressant medication use and C-reactive protein: results from two population-based studies. Brain Behav Immun, 25(1), 168 - 173. 10.1016/j.bbi.2010.09.013.
- Gimeno D,Delclos GL,Ferrie JE,De Vogli R,Elovainio M,Marmot MG,Kivimäki M (2011) Association of CRP and IL-6 with lung function in a middle-aged population initially free from self-reported respiratory problems: the Whitehall II study. Eur J Epidemiol, 26(2), 135 - 144. 10.1007/s10654-010-9526-5.
- Ferrie JE,Shipley MJ,Akbaraly TN,Marmot MG,Kivimäki M,Singh-Manoux A (2011) Change in sleep duration and cognitive function: findings from the Whitehall II Study. Sleep, 34(5), 565 - 573.
- Nabi H,Kivimäki M,Empana JP,Sabia S,Britton A,Marmot MG,Shipley MJ,Singh-Manoux A (2011) Combined effects of depressive symptoms and resting heart rate on mortality: the Whitehall II prospective cohort study. J Clin Psychiatry, 72(9), 1199 - 1206. 10.4088/JCP.09m05901blu.
- Zabaneh D,Gaunt TR,Kumari M,Drenos F,Shah S,Berry D,Power C,Hypponen E,Shah T,Palmen J,Pallas J,Talmud PJ,Casas JP,Sofat R,Lowe G,Rumley A,Morris RW,Whincup PH,Rodriguez S,Ebrahim S,Marmot MG,Smith GD,Lawlor DA,Kivimaki M,Whittaker J,Hingorani AD,Day IN,Humphries SE (2011) Genetic variants associated with Von Willebrand factor levels in healthy men and women identified using the HumanCVD BeadChip. Ann Hum Genet, 75(4), 456 - 467. 10.1111/j.1469-1809.2011.00654.x.
- Batty GD,Shipley MJ,Gunnell D,Davey Smith G,Ferrie JE,Clarke R,Marmot MG,Kivimaki M (2011) Height loss and future coronary heart disease in London: the Whitehall II study. J Epidemiol Community Health, 65(5), 461 - 464. 10.1136/jech.2009.103986.
- Marmot MG,Bell RG (2011) Improving Health Social Determinants and Personal Choice AM J PREV MED, 40(1), S73 - S77. 10.1016/j.amepre.2010.10.010.
- Zaman MJ,Shipley MJ,Stafford M,Brunner EJ,Timmis AD,Marmot MG,Hemingway H (2011) Incidence and prognosis of angina pectoris in South Asians and Whites: 18 years of follow-up over seven phases in the Whitehall-II prospective cohort study. J Public Health (Oxf), 33(3), 430 - 438. 10.1093/pubmed/fdq093.
- Marmot M,Bell R (2011) Social determinants and dental health Adv Dental Research, 23(2), 201 - 206.
- De Vogli R,Marmot M (2011) Societal and Social Issues of Heart Disease.
- Forde I,Chandola T,Raine R,Marmot MG,Kivimaki M (2011) Socioeconomic and ethnic differences in use of lipid-lowering drugs after deregulation of simvastatin in the UK: the Whitehall II prospective cohort study. Atherosclerosis, 215(1), 223 - 228. 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2010.12.012.
- Virtanen M,Ferrie JE,Singh-Manoux A,Shipley MJ,Stansfeld SA,Marmot MG,Ahola K,Vahtera J,Kivimäki M (2011) Long working hours and symptoms of anxiety and depression: a 5-year follow-up of the Whitehall II study. Psychol Med, 1 - 10. 10.1017/S0033291711000171.
- Jokela M,Singh-Manoux A,Shipley MJ,Ferrie JE,Gimeno D,Akbaraly TN,Head J,Elovainio M,Marmot MG,Kivimäki M (2011) Natural course of recurrent psychological distress in adulthood. J Affect Disord, 130(3), 454 - 461. 10.1016/j.jad.2010.10.047.
- Sabbah W,Tsakos G,Chandola T,Newton T,Kawachi I,Sheiham A,Marmot MG,Watt RG (2011) The relationship between social network, social support and periodontal disease among older Americans. J Clin Periodontol, 38(6), 547 - 552. 10.1111/j.1600-051X.2011.01713.x.
- Nabi H,Chastang JF,Lefèvre T,Dugravot A,Melchior M,Marmot MG,Shipley MJ,Kivimäki M,Singh-Manoux A (2011) Trajectories of depressive episodes and hypertension over 24 years: the Whitehall II prospective cohort study. Hypertension, 57(4), 710 - 716. 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.110.164061.
- MARMOT M,BELL R (2011) Improving health: social determinants and personal choice American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 40(1, Suppl.1), S73 - S77.
- Marmot MG,Allen J,Goldblatt P,Boyce T,McNeish D,Grady M,Geddes I,on behalf of the Marmot Review (2010) Fair society, healthy lives: Strategic review of health inequalities in England post-2010.
- Chandola T,Ferrie JE,Perski A,Akbaraly T,Marmot MG (2010) The effect of short sleep duration on coronary heart disease risk is greatest among those with sleep disturbance: a prospective study from the Whitehall II cohort. Sleep, 33(6), 739 - 744.
- Rehkopf DH,Kuper H,Marmot MG (2010) Discrepancy between objective and subjective measures of job stress and sickness absence. Scand J Work Environ Health, 36(6), 449 - 457.
- Hintsa T,Shipley MJ,Gimeno D,Elovainio M,Chandola T,Jokela M,Keltikangas-Järvinen L,Vahtera J,Marmot MG,Kivimäki M (2010) Do pre-employment influences explain the association between psychosocial factors at work and coronary heart disease? The Whitehall II study. Occup Environ Med, 67(5), 330 - 334. 10.1136/oem.2009.048470.
- Brunner EJ,Shipley MJ,Marmot MG,Kivimaki M,Witte DR (2010) Do the Joint British Society (JBS2) guidelines on prevention of cardiovascular disease with respect to plasma glucose improve risk stratification in the general population? Prospective cohort study DIABETIC MED, 27(5), 550 - 555. 10.1111/j.1464-5491.2010.02921.x.
- Sabia S,Guéguen A,Marmot MG,Shipley MJ,Ankri J,Singh-Manoux A (2010) Does cognition predict mortality in midlife? Results from the Whitehall II cohort study. Neurobiology of Aging, 31, 688 - 695. 10.1016/j.neurobioaging.2008.05.007.
- Nabi H,Shipley MJ,Vahtera J,Hall M,Korkeila J,Marmot MG,Kivimäki M,Singh-Manoux A (2010) Effects of depressive symptoms and coronary heart disease and their interactive associations on mortality in middle-aged adults: the Whitehall II cohort study. Heart, 96(20), 1645 - 1650. 10.1136/hrt.2010.198507.
- Pikhart H,Bobak M,Peasey A,Pajak A,Kubinova R,Malyutina S,Marmot MG (2010) EFFORT-REWARD IMBALANCE AND ALL-CAUSE MORTALITY IN THREE POST-COMMUNIST COUNTRIES: THE HAPIEE STUDY INT J BEHAV MED, 17, 136 - 136.
- Hertzman C,Siddiqi A,Hertzman E,Irwin LG,Vaghri Z,Bell R,Tinajero A (2010) Bucking the inequality gradient through early child development BMJ, 340, 346 - 348.
- Marmot M,Bell R (2010) Challenging health inequalities - implications for the workplace Occupational Medicine, 60(3), 162 - 164.
- González C,Houweling TA,Marmot MG,Brunner EJ (2010) Comparison of physical, public and human assets as determinants of socioeconomic inequalities in contraceptive use in Colombia - moving beyond the household wealth index. Int J Equity Health, 9, 10. 10.1186/1475-9276-9-10.
- Bell R,Taylor S,Marmot M (2010) Global health governance: social determinants of health and the imperative for change Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics, 38(3), 470 - 485.
- Casas JP,Ninio E,Panayiotou A,Palmen J,Cooper JA,Ricketts SL,Sofat R,Nicolaides AN,Corsetti JP,Fowkes FGR,Tzoulaki I,Kumari M,Brunner EJ,Kivimaki M,Marmot MG,Hoffmann MM,Winkler K,Marz W,Ye S,Stirnadel HA,Boekholdt SM,Khaw KT,Humphries SE,Sandhu MS,Hingorani AD,Talmud PJ (2010) PLA2G7 Genotype, Lipoprotein-Associated Phospholipase A2 Activity, and Coronary Heart Disease Risk in 10 494 Cases and 15 624 Controls of European Ancestry (vol 121, pg 2284, 2010) CIRCULATION, 122(3), E400 - E400. 10.1161/CIR.0b013e3181eb187c.
- Casas JP,Ninio E,Panayiotou A,Palmen J,Cooper JA,Ricketts SL,Sofat R,Nicolaides AN,Corsetti JP,Fowkes FG,Tzoulaki I,Kumari M,Brunner EJ,Kivimaki M,Marmot MG,Hoffmann MM,Winkler K,März W,Ye S,Stirnadel HA,Boekholdt SM,Khaw KT,Humphries SE,Sandhu MS,Hingorani AD,Talmud PJ (2010) PLA2G7 genotype, lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 activity, and coronary heart disease risk in 10 494 cases and 15 624 controls of European Ancestry. Circulation, 121(21), 2284 - 2293. 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.923383.
- Miller MA,Kandala NB,Kumari M,Marmot MG,Cappuccio FP (2010) Relationships between sleep duration and von Willebrand factor, factor VII, and fibrinogen: Whitehall II study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 30(10), 2032 - 2038. 10.1161/ATVBAHA.110.206987.
- Miller MA,Kandala NB,Kumari M,Marmot MG,Cappuccio FP (2010) Relationships between sleep duration and von Willebrand factor, fibrinogen and factor VII: Whitehall II study J HUM HYPERTENS, 24(10), 703 - 703.
- Sofat R,Hingorani AD,Smeeth L,Humphries SE,Talmud PJ,Cooper J,Shah T,Sandhu MS,Ricketts SL,Boekholdt SM,Wareham N,Khaw KT,Kumari M,Kivimaki M,Marmot M,Asselbergs FW,van der Harst P,Dullaart RP,Navis G,van Veldhuisen DJ,Van Gilst WH,Thompson JF,McCaskie P,Palmer LJ,Arca M,Quagliarini F,Gaudio C,Cambien F,Nicaud V,Poirer O,Gudnason V,Isaacs A,Witteman JC,van Duijn CM,Pencina M,Vasan RS,D'Agostino RB,Ordovas J,Li TY,Kakko S,Kauma H,Savolainen MJ,Kesaniemi YA,Sandhofer A,Paulweber B,Sorli JV,Goto A,Yokoyama S,Okumura K,Horne BD,Packard C,Freeman D,Ford I,Sattar N,McCormack V,Lawlor DA,Ebrahim S,Smith GD,Kastelein JJ,Deanfield J,Casas JP (2010) Separating the mechanism-based and off-target actions of cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitors with CETP gene polymorphisms Circulation, 121, 52 - 62.
- Nabi H,Singh-Manoux A,Ferrie JE,Marmot MG,Melchior M,Kivimäki M (2010) Hostility and depressive mood: results from the Whitehall II prospective cohort study. Psychol Med, 40(3), 405 - 413. 10.1017/S0033291709990432.
- Britton A,Marmot MG,Shipley MJ (2010) How does variability in alcohol consumption over time affect the relationship with mortality and coronary heart disease? Addiction, 105(4), 639 - 645. 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2009.02832.x.
- Kivimäki M,Tabak AG,Batty GD,Ferrie JE,Nabi H,Marmot MG,Witte DR,Singh-Manoux A,Shipley MJ (2010) Incremental predictive value of adding past blood pressure measurements to the Framingham hypertension risk equation: the Whitehall II Study. Hypertension, 55(4), 1058 - 1062. 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.109.144220.
- Laszlo KD,Pikhart H,Kopp MS,Bobak M,Pajak A,Malyutina S,Salavecz G,Marmot M (2010) Job insecurity and health: A study of 16 European countries SOC SCI MED, 70(6), 867 - 874. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.11.022.
- Steptoe A,Hamer M,O'Donnell K,Venuraju S,Marmot MG,Lahiri A (2010) Socioeconomic status and subclinical coronary disease in the Whitehall II epidemiological study PLos One, 5(1), e8874..
- Forde I,Chandola T,Marmot MG,Attanasio O (2010) MANDATED ATTENDANCE AT PARENTING WORKSHOPS IMPROVES WOMEN'S HEALTHCARE KNOWLEDGE BUT MAY WIDEN HEALTH INEQUITIES IN LOW AND MIDDLE INCOME COUNTRIES J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 64, A58 - A58. 10.1136/jech.2010.120477.63.
- Akbaraly TN,Kivimaki M,Shipley MJ,Tabak AG,Jokela M,Virtanen M,Marmot MG,Ferrie JE,Singh-Manoux A (2010) Metabolic syndrome over 10 years and cognitive functioning in late midlife: the Whitehall II study. Diabetes Care, 33(1), 84 - 89. 10.2337/dc09-1218.
- Elovainio M,Ferrie JE,Singh-Manoux A,Gimeno D,De Vogli R,Shipley M,Vahtera J,Brunner E,Marmot MG,Kivimäki M (2010) Organisational justice and markers of inflammation: the Whitehall II study. Occup Environ Med, 67(2), 78 - 83. 10.1136/oem.2008.044917.
- Akbaraly TN,Singh-Manoux A,Tabak AG,Jokela M,Virtanen M,Ferrie JE,Marmot MG,Shipley MJ,Kivimaki M (2010) Overall diet history and reversibility of the metabolic syndrome over 5 years: the Whitehall II prospective cohort study. Diabetes Care, 33(11), 2339 - 2341. 10.2337/dc09-2200.
- Virtanen M,Ferrie JE,Singh-Manoux A,Shipley MJ,Vahtera J,Marmot MG,Kivimäki M (2010) Overtime work and incident coronary heart disease: the Whitehall II prospective cohort study. Eur Heart J, 31(14), 1737 - 1744. 10.1093/eurheartj/ehq124.
- Witte DR,Shipley MJ,Marmot MG,Brunner EJ (2010) Performance of existing risk scores in screening for undiagnosed diabetes: an external validation study. Diabet Med, 27(1), 46 - 53. 10.1111/j.1464-5491.2009.02891.x.
- 1975: Doctor of Philosophy, University of California - Berkeley
- 1972: Master of Public Health, University of California - Berkeley
- 1968: Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery, University of Sydney
- 1966: Bachelor of Science (Honours), University of Sydney
- Inequalities in health
- Social determinants of health
- Prof Martin Bobak
- Dr Noriko Cable
- Dr Leah Li
- Dr Mai Stafford
- Dr Madhavi Bajekal
- Dr Anne Peasey
- Dr Christopher Gerry
- Prof Mel Bartley
- Prof Jane Wardle
- Prof Christine Power
- Prof Mika Kivimaki
- Dr Archana Singh-Manoux
- Prof Ian Zachary
- Prof Diana Kuh
- Dr Hynek Pikhart
- Dr Aparna Shankar
- Prof Andrew Steptoe
- Prof Aroon Hingorani
- Dr Anne McMunn
- Dr Ben Hanson
- Dr Olga Vikhireva