Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Mel Bartley
As Director of the ESRC Centre for Life Course Studies in Society and Health, I co-ordinate a scientific programme combining sociology, epidemiology, human biology, and statistics. We use all of the UK's open-access longitudinal data sets to investigate policy-related questions such as the longer term effects of breast feeding and parent-child relationships, the relationship between unemployment and health, and the influences on quality of life as people grow older. The Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at UCL is one of the very few places where such a cross-disciplinary programme could be undertaken as it has traditionally combined these areas of expertise, for example in the Whitehall II study, on which I also collaborate. My work on Whitehall II has included the relationship of psychological attachment style to career success in the Civil service and the extent to which income and social status influence the impact of heart disease on mental health and physical functioning.
- Gender divisions in paid and unpaid labour
- Health effects of social change in gender, work, and family across the life course.
- Parental employment, domestic labour, family structure and child behaviour Internal
- Understanding the causes and consequences of health inequalities.
- Unemployment and health
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Steele F,French R,Bartley M (2013) Adjusting for selection bias in longitudinal analyses using simultaneous equations modeling: The relationship between employment transitions and mental health Epidemiology, 24(5), 703 - 711. 10.1097/EDE.0b013e31829d2479.
- Flint E,Bartley M,Shelton N,Sacker A (2013) Do labour market status transitions predict changes in psychological well-being? Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 10.1136/jech-2013-202425.
- Kelly-Irving M,Dedieu D,Grosclaude P,Lang T,Delpierre C,Lepage B,Bartley M,Blane D (2013) Adverse childhood experiences and premature all-cause mortality European Journal of Epidemiology, 1 - 14. 10.1007/s10654-013-9832-9.
- Sacker A,Kelly Y,Iacovou M,Cable N,Bartley M (2013) Breast feeding and intergenerational social mobility: what are the mechanisms? Arch Dis Child. 10.1136/archdischild-2012-303199.
- Flint E,Shelton N,Bartley M,Sacker A (2013) Do local unemployment rates modify the effect of individual labour market status on psychological distress? Health Place, 23C, 1 - 8. 10.1016/j.healthplace.2013.04.004.
- Kumari M,Head J,Bartley M,Stansfeld S,Kivimaki M (2013) Maternal separation in childhood and diurnal cortisol patterns in mid-life: findings from the Whitehall II study. Psychol Med, 43(3), 633 - 643. 10.1017/S0033291712001353.
- Keurentjes JC,Nelissen RG,Blane D,Bartley M,Keurentjes JJB,Fiocco M (2013) Socio-Economic Position Has No Effect on Improvement in Health-Related Quality of Life and Patient Satisfaction in Total Hip and Knee Replacement: A Cohort Study PLoS ONE, 8(3). 10.1371/journal.pone.0056785.
- Harding S,Lenguerrand E,Costa G,Martikainen P,Tarkiainen L,Blane D,Akinwale B,Bartley M,D'Errico A (2013) Trends in mortality by labour market position around retirement ages in three European countries with different welfare regimes International Journal of Public Health, 58(1), 99 - 108. 10.1007/s00038-012-0359-8.
- Wahrendorf M,Blane D,Bartley M,Dragano N,Siegrist J (2013) Working conditions in mid-life and mental health in older ages Advances in Life Course Research, 18(1), 16 - 25. 10.1016/j.alcr.2012.10.004.
- Cable N,Bartley M,Chandola T,Sacker A (2013) Friends are equally important to men and women, but family matters more for men's well-being Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 67(2), 166 - 171. 10.1136/jech-2012-201113.
- Hiyoshi A,Fukuda Y,Shipley MJ,Bartley M,Brunner EJ (2013) A new theory-based social classification in Japan and its validation using historically collected information. Soc Sci Med, 87, 84 - 92. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2013.03.021.
- Netuveli G,Blane D,Bartley M (2012) Resilience in the face of frailty EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH, 22, 105 - 105.
- Sacker A,Kelly Y,Bartley M,Iacovou M (2012) BREASTFEEDING AND SOCIAL MOBILITY: NEUROLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT OR STRESS MECHANISMS? JOURNAL OF EPIDEMIOLOGY AND COMMUNITY HEALTH, 66, A38 - A38. 10.1136/jech-2012-201753.098.
- Bartley M (2012) Explaining health inequality: evidence from the UK. Soc Sci Med, 74(5), 658 - 660. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.12.015.
- Bartley M,Kelly Y,Sacker A (2012) Early life financial adversity and respiratory function in midlife: A prospective birth cohort study American Journal of Epidemiology, 175(1), 33 - 42. 10.1093/aje/kwr284.
- Wahrendorf M,Blane D,Bartley M,Dragano N,Siegrist J (2012) Working conditions in mid-life and mental health in older ages-Results from SHARELIFE Advances in Life Course Research.
- Cable N,Bartley M,Chandola T,Sacker A (2012) Friends are equally important to men and women, but family matters more for men's well-being Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.
- Lacey RE,Bartley M,Pikhart H,Stafford M,Cable N,Coleman L (2012) Parental separation and adult psychological distress: evidence for the 'reduced effect' hypothesis? Longitudinal and Life Course Studies, 3(3), 359 - 368.
- Netuveli G,Bartley M (2012) Perception is Reality: Effect of Subjective Versus Objective Socio-economic Position on Quality of Life Sociology, 46(6), 1208 - 1215. 10.1177/0038038512455963.
- Harding S,Lenguerrand E,Costa G,d'Errico A,Martikainen P,Tarkiainen L,Blane D,Akinwale B,Bartley M (2012) Trends in mortality by labour market position around retirement ages in three European countries with different welfare regimes International Journal of Public Health, 1 - 10.
- Bartley M (2012) Economic inactivity and health. BMJ, 344, e2858.
- Flint E,Sacker A,Shelton N,Bartley M (2011) INVESTIGATING THE EFFECTS OF LABOUR MARKET POSITION ON MINOR PSYCHIATRIC MORBIDITY ACROSS THE BUSINESS CYCLE: LONGITUDINAL ANALYSIS OF THE BRITISH HOUSEHOLD PANEL SURVEY, 1991-2007 J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 65. 10.1136/jech.2011.143586.34.
- LACEY RE,Cable N,Stafford M,Bartley M,Pikhart H (2011) Childhood socio-economic position and adult smoking: are childhood psychosocial factors important? Evidence from a British birth cohort European Journal of Public Health, 21(6), 725 - 731. 10.1093/eurpub/ckq179.
- Akinwale B,Lynch K,Wiggins R,Harding S,Bartley M,Blane D (2011) Work, permanent sickness and mortality risk: a prospective cohort study of England and Wales, 1971-2006 J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 65(9), 786 - 792. 10.1136/jech.2009.099325.
- MCMUNN A,Kelly Y,Cable N,Bartley M (2011) Maternal employment and child socio-emotional behaviour in the United Kingdom: Longitudinal evidence from the UK Millennium Cohort Study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 10.1136/jech.2010.109553.
- MCMUNN A,Webb E,Netuveli G,Blane D,Bartley M (2011) Gender differences in attainment across generations from a historical perspective..
- Lacey R,Cable N,Stafford M,Bartley M,Pikhart H (2010) CHILDHOOD SOCIOECONOMIC POSITION AND ADULT SMOKING: ARE CHILDHOOD COGNITIVE ABILITY, PSYCHOSOCIAL ADJUSTMENT AND PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT IMPORTANT? J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 64, A42 - A42. 10.1136/jech.2010.120477.22.
- Bartley M,Sacker A,Kelly Y (2010) EARLY LIFE ORIGINS OF INEQUALITY IN RESPIRATORY FUNCTION IN MID-LIFE EPIDEMIOL PREV, 34(5-6), 147 - 147.
- McMunn A,Kelly Y,Cable N,Bartley M (2010) MATERNAL EMPLOYMENT AND CHILD SOCIO-EMOTIONAL BEHAVIOUR: LONGITUDINAL EVIDENCE FROM THE MILLENNIUM COHORT STUDY J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 64, A32 - A33. 10.1136/jech.2010.120956.82.
- Lacey R,Bartley M,Pikhart H,Cable N,Stafford M (2010) PARENTAL SEPARATION AND PSYCHOLOGICAL DISTRESS IN EARLY ADULTHOOD: HAS THE EFFECT REDUCED OVER TIME? EVIDENCE FROM TWO BRITISH BIRTH COHORT STUDIES J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 64, A4 - A4. 10.1136/jech.2010.120956.10.
- Bartley M,Ferrie J (2010) Do we need to worry about the health effects of unemployment? J Epidemiol Community Health, 64(1), 5 - 6. 10.1136/jech.2009.089797.
- Kelly Y,McMunn A,Bartley M,Cable N,Sacker A,Montgomery S (2010) DO MUM AND DAD GET ALONG? FAMILY CONFLICT AND HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT IN EARLY CHILDHOOD: FINDINGS FROM THE UK MILLENNIUM COHORT STUDY INT J BEHAV MED, 17, 308 - 309.
- Cable N,Bartley M,McMunn A,Kelly Y (2010) GENDER DIFFERENCES IN THE EFFECT OF BREAST FEEDING ON ADULT PSYCHOLOGICAL WELL-BEING INT J BEHAV MED, 17, 319 - 319.
- Cable N,Kelly Y,McMunn A,Bartley M (2010) MATERNAL EMPLOYMENT AND CHILD SOCIO-EMOTIONAL BEHAVIOR: LONGITUDINAL EVIDENCE FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM INT J BEHAV MED, 17, 236 - 236.
- Panico L,Bartley M,Kelly Y,McMunn A,Sacker A (2010) Changes in Family Structure in Early Childhood in the Millennium Cohort Study Population Trends, 142, 78 - 92.
- Montgomery SM,Osika W,Brus O,Bartley M (2010) CHILDHOOD HEARING AND ADULT OBESITY INT J BEHAV MED, 17, 33 - 33.
- Wiggins RD,Akinwale B,Lynch K,Harding S,Bartley M,Blane D (2009) LABOUR MARKET POSITION AND HEALTH AT OLDER AGES IN ENGLAND AND WALES, 1971-2001 GERONTOLOGIST, 49, 19 - 19.
- Bartley M (2009) Promoting social mobility Not just down to individuals BRIT MED J, 339. 10.1136/bmj.b3857.
- Raine R,Bartley M,Ambler G,Hardoon S,Petersen I,Morris R,Blane D,Wong W (2009) Sociodemographic variations in the contribution of secondary drug prevention to stroke survival at middle and older ages: Cohort study BMJ (Online), 338(7703), 1122 - 1126. 10.1136/bmj.b1279.
- Raine R,Wong W,Ambler G,Petersen I,Hardoon S,Morris R (2009) Sociodemographic variations in the contribution of secondary drug prevention to stroke survival at middle and older ages: cohort study BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 338, b1279. 10.1136/bmj.b1279.
- Brunner EJ,Jones PJS,Friel S,Bartley M (2009) Fish, human health and marine ecosystem health: policies in collision International Journal of Epidemiology, 38(1), 93 - 100. 10.1093/ije/dyn157.
- Sacker A,Head J,Gimeno D,Bartley M (2009) Social Inequality in Physical and Mental Health Comorbidity Dynamics PSYCHOSOM MED, 71(7), 763 - 770. 10.1097/PSY.0b013e3181b1e45e.
- McMunn A,Kelly Y,Bartley M (2008) Lone parenthood, material deprivation and child emotional development in the Millennium Cohort Study.
- Shaw RJ,Sacker A,Bartley M (2008) Resilience to unemployment's effects on health J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 62, A33 - A33.
- Stansfeld S,Head J,Bartley M,Fonagy P (2008) Social position, early deprivation and the development of attachment SOC PSYCH PSYCH EPID, 43(7), 516 - 526. 10.1007/s00127-008-0330-4.
- Schoon I,Bartley M (2008) The role of human capability and resilience PSYCHOLOGIST, 21(1), 24 - 27.
- Kelly Y,Panico L,Bartley M,Marmot M,Nazroo J,Sacker A (2008) Why does birthweight vary among ethnic groups in the UK? Findings from the Millennium Cohort Study. Journal of Public Health. 10.1093/pubmed/fdn057.
- Sacker A,Head J,Bartley M (2008) Impact of coronary heart disease on health functioning in an aging population: Are there differences according to socioeconomic position? PSYCHOSOM MED, 70(2), 133 - 140. 10.1097/PSY.0b01333181642ef5.
- Cable N,Sacker A,Bartley M (2008) The effect of employment on psychological health in mid-adulthood: findings from the 1970 British Cohort Study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 62(5), e10.
- Garcia AM,Bartley M,Alvarez-Dardet C (2007) Engendering epidemiology J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 61, 1 - 2. 10.1136/jech.2007.069658.
There are no biographical details to display
- Cross-sectional and cohort studies
- Early determinants
- Epidemiology research
- Health and wellbeing over the life course
- Health inequalities
- Heart disease
- Life Course
- Longitudinal analysis
- Medical sociology